Excellence Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$334
Excellence Resorts
  • Free Breakfast
Breathless Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$4,000
US$379
Bookit.com
  • Free Breakfast
Occidental Caribe(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$212
US$152
  • Free Breakfast
Barcelo Bavaro Beach - Adults Only(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$412
US$336
  • Free Breakfast
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$308
US$252
  • Free Breakfast
Secrets Royal Beach Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$353
US$257
  • Free Breakfast
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$765
US$527
Priceline
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$391
US$305
  • Free Breakfast
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana(Punta Cana)(Great Value!)
US$421
US$311
14,654 results
All reviewsroyal servicethe reservemolegabi beachjensy rijojuan cruzthe grillsanto polancodinner reservationsyhi spamain poolswim up barkids zonepersonal butlerdominican republictime sharedestination wedding
Evansville, IN
Reviewed 3 August 2004

We stayed at Melia Paradisus from July 10th - July 17th. I came with my wife and two girls, ages 8 and 5. However, we had a family reunion there which included family from Spain and Florida! When you ad it up, we were a group of 27 people! First of all, the service was fantastic even when faced with 27 people eating dinner at the same time. The key is to make RESERVATIONS! and no worries maan, be patient! This is the island lifestyle...easy does it maan! Where are you going the next day? Work?? Our favorite restaurant was the Japanese. If you come with kids, this will be a treat for them since they cook right in front of you, much like Bennihanas for those in the US. We also enjoyed the Mexican and the seafood one. No one got sick. There were no power outages. The weather was fantastic. The kids enjoyed the nightly shows which were very well produced and dancing merengue until 1 AM. The highlight for me was scuba diving for the first time. I STRONGLY recommend it for those who can. We saw some beutiful marine life...including a medium sized shark! There were plenty of bath towels and soap. We tipped $5 to the maid for water bottles and got a huge case that lasted the whole week! For those who want to get drunk everyday, make sure to tip so they ad some more alchohol in your drinks. The people who work there were really great and personable, of course we speak fluent spanish so we were able to strike up great conversations. But they want to learn English too. Some negatives are: the pool water was way too warm for my taste, slow room service, the batting machine doesn't work when it rains and of course leaving. Thats it! Go, Go, Go! It really is a beutifully designed resort. Makes you feel like staying and living there. Where else can you get caviar at a bar?

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2004

We just come back from a 2 weeks vacation in Punta Cana. We did a week at Paradisus and Secrets Excellence. We are well place to compared two 5 stars. We are also experience travaller in south.

First, Secrets Excellence in a 5 stars but Paradisus is not! Paradisus is a 4 stars but you pay for a 5 stars...
We appreciated : Beach and massage (Anita)
We did not appreciated : Persistent seller of timesharing/excursions, etc (if we want something, we will go see then...), train process (allways full), unavaibality of the good restaurants ( we pay for a 5 STARS....), Towel problems every day...., room cleanest acceptable but not a 5 stars, Need more barman! take 10 minutes to get a drink..., All staff are in burn out...??? We pay for a 5 stars not a 3-4 stars!!!!!!!!, No body speak english, Unavaibility of catamarans...do you know what you will feel to do in vacation in 3 days at 3 PM...??? Not me!!!! So we did not do catamaran (and we pay for a 5 stars....)

For the same price, Secrets Excellence is a real 5 stars!!!

Have a good vacation.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 July 2004

We visited the Paradisus from July 9th until July 23rd the summer of 2004.

The grounds are very beautiful, but the service is horrible. Most of the staff do not speak English.

The restaurants have decent food but the service is very weak. The beach is beautiful, but the hotel always runs out of towels.

The rooms are decent, but the maid service is very bad. Rooms are barely cleaned on time. Pillow cases are missing and they often forget to replace shower towels.

I must say that the Paradisus is the farthest thing from a five star hotel. The horrible service just ruins everything about the resort.

2  Thank Carine1320
Reviewed 24 July 2004

My husband and I just returned from the Paradisus on July 18th after a week stay and it was wonderful! Like many others, I read the reviews and worked myself into a panic for no good reason. I honestly think some people wrote a review for the wrong hotel!

The room was beautiful and cleaner then some chain hotels I have stayed in here in the US. The food was better than what I expected (especiall after reading some of the reviews). The buffets were excellent for breakfast and lunch and had a variety of selections. They do try to cater to all the different types of people who visit the resort. The a la carte restaurants were wonderful and we had a delicious meal everynight! Neither of us got sick, in case you were wondering.
The beach and pool were equally beautiful but I preferred the beach because of the cool breeze and refreshing ocean. The pool area does not get the seabreeze and I found the pool temp. to be rather warm and not refreshing at all. The hotel offers many water activities that are included in the price of your stay.
The service was also excellent. We tipped $3 to our servers and they took care of us. Please remember, you are in a foreign country that is also a third-world country and these people depend on the tips for part of their salary. The country is extremely poor and the large resorts depend on their own generators for electricity. The power did go out on our last night a couple of times but there was a wedding going on and I think the generators can only handle so much! It was a minor, MINOR, inconvenience. The Caribbean is not the United States and if you keep that in mind you will have a truly magical time!

5  Thank Kristin T
yonkers, new york
Reviewed 24 July 2004

This vacation was definitely amazing. I went with my best friend, family and family friends. The grounds are beautiful and the service is great. The food on the other hand is not anything to brag about. That did not have a negative effect on the trip at all. The Japanese Resturant (Hokkaido) was the best food we ate the entire trip. Make reservations the night before because it fills up quickly. The rooms were nice, spacy with marble floors and showers. Look out for the tiny ants that come out at night and the occasional cockroaches. I did not have any encounters with the ants but my parents were not so lucky. The bartenders were okay but cannot understand English very well, it wasn't a major problem though. The beach was perfect. I recommend parasailing so you can see through the water and a lot of the resorts. It was beautiful. When you wake up, before breakfast you should get a hut on the beach before they are all taken. When you go shopping (which is a 5 minute walk on the beach) do not ever pay the asking price. Haggle them down to a price you want to pay and show them the money to assure them that you have it. Once they see the money it is hard for them to say no to your price. Bring suntan lotion and other sundries because it is very expensive at the hotel gift shop. The cheapest sunscreen was 24.00 US. Avoid the tap water, the hotel provides bottled water at the bar. I suggest brushing your teeth with it so you don't get sick. If you are 18 or older the fun pub was something fun to do every night. Even if you aren't 18 the people don't really care, all you need to do is turn your age bracelet the other way and they will let you in. Dress cool for the plane ride there because the airport is very hot! I enjoyed staying at the Melia Caribe Tropical, it was so much fun!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member