“A Mirage: Paradisus Punta Cana, Punta Cana, DR”

Paradisus Punta Cana Resort
Ranked #25 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 14 March 2012

-This experience was much like a low middle end cruise product. Canned activities, entertainment and food (it's all inclusive except water sports). The service varied from excellent to very bad depending on provider and circumstances.
Check in was very slow and drawn out, with hundreds of employees around apparently the front desk operates with minimal staff. Lots of waiting around to get on a hyped up golf cart to go from room to dining and activities.You can walk but not always convient and sometimes we got lost on this massive property.
Room (jr. suite) was nice with a functional balcony and comfortable fold out couch (son liked). Housekeeping did fine and people responded promply for room services. Be extremely careful in bathroom and on front steps, tile is slippery when wet - I went sliding stepping out of shower (tub).
Food at this all inclusive is what you will expect from gigantic buffets seen at lower middle end cruises. If you have a sophisticated palate you may be disappointed.However, we had 'decent' dinners at the Romantico and Brazille Restaurants - stay clear of the seafood restaurant featuring 'lobster'.
-The resorts best feature was beach & pool areas. Never seen such well appointed beach 'beds', lounges etc., very comfortable.
-The spa was good with a great jucuzzi. Mens locker room left a lot to be desired. Services were ok but not outragous for prices charged.
-Fitness club needs renovating. Tiny space, not enough equipment and grumpy attendent.
-Beware at airport on arrival, lots of 'sales' people around trying to get into your pocket.
-The entertainment (nightly) was pretty good, especially the 'Michael Jackson Show'. Again, very cruise line like.
-The public areas had some very beautiful sights. This place can look very good but it is a mirage. Beautiful but not quite the quality and cleanliness it purports to elude. I give it an A for effort.
In summery, If one is on a budget vacation like I was expecially with a teen (teens love this place,18 is legal drinking, late nite partying) Paradisus Punta Cana will do just fine. Expect to be sold a timeshare or offered to 'upgrade' to a higher level experience. I am glad we didn't opt for it as I don't believe the overall experience would have been that much different 'better' for the price.
Good luck!

Room Tip: Junior suite
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank nyfriend
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to air your concerns regarding your recent experience at our Paradisus Punta Cana. Also, I will like to give you our thanks for the compliments gave to our activities department, our rooms, our room service, our spa and our public areas.
I regret that we did not fully exceed your expectations with some of our services and facilities. In Paradisus Punta Cana we believe that only by listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our guests we are able to immediately detect areas for improvement and can therefore take actions instantly.
Once more thank you for your constructive criticism and rest assure you that your observation were thaken with the most consideration and discusses every comment with the departments involve to find and apply new ways of improvement.

Sincerely yours,

Francisco Castillo

Write a ReviewReviews (13,285)

Reviewed 13 March 2012

We are taught to start off with the positives and be as constructive as possible, and so I will do my best.
We had the most basic room and found it clean and refrigerator well stocked. It was nothing special to rave about but was certainly comfortable for two adults. You could even have a small party if you wanted to.
The bartenders, wherever we went, were at least very nice to excellent. They worked very fast when there was a crowd and were more attentive when things were slow.
The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Everyday there were groups of people working on and maintaining the foliage.
It was very relaxing walking around the grounds. The beach and pool areas were equally relaxing, clean and thoroughly enjoyable.
The food never surpassed fair to not bad. We were with a group of about 50 and no one raved about any restaurant - buffet or table service. The service was slow. Perhaps this is the way it is done in DR, but it shouldn't take so long to get some of the food we waited for.
At one point there were over 25 of us in a restaurant room and some of us were ready for dessert while others were just eating appetizers. A number of people said the steak was tough and most of the food very salty. Don't go here if food is important to you.
Again, we were a large group and checked in over two days. The first day, apparently, was a circus. Rooms were not together as had been agreed upon by the person working with the bridal couple. Some people didn't have rooms at check in and had to wait. By the time we got there, the second day, the groom was waiting to make sure we did not encounter the same issues. He did this for all incoming guests. Not how he should be spending his time.
There was nothing planned for the bridal entourage that didn't have a problem. Dinner for the bridal party and tables were not ready and we were not seated together but near each other. Rehearsal was short and when we discussed changes in the way we walked down the aisle, the wedding planner said fine. Meanwhile at the wedding she changed it back. Good thing we spoke up and did what the family wanted and practiced the night before. There were not enough chairs for all the guests right before the wedding was to start. The groom had to demand more chairs. Didn't they know how many guests there would be????? The cocktail hour (???) was fair at best, no chairs for anyone to sit on. The shuttles were supposed to be waiting to take us all to the wedding venue but they were no where in sight. There was a Russian gentleman, on staff,ended up taking the DJ to the venue because the wedding planner was nowhere to be seen from the time the ceremony ended until 1 1/2 hours later. Finally, she arrived saying she needed to make sure things were ready at the venue. She was supposed to be available to take the bridal party to the "bridal room" to get their things. That too took a long time. Once at the venue, the room was totally bright and lit up, not low lights and atmosphere, until the groom turned the lights down. The dance floor was like the floors used for ice skating ( it doesn't melt and reminds me of a big sheet of styrofoam). The tables looked lovely, great floral arrangements, table settings and wonderful bartenders. The bride and groom selected all of that. Seating cards were placed on a table in the lobby. Unfortunately, there was no light and we could not read the cards. The bride and groom paid extra to have a table for the seating cards. They paid extra for many things that they did not get or not as promised, and certainly many without fighting for them. We took the initiative to light candles but even that didn't help. The staff did not assist us in reading the cards, getting light or moving the cards to a more logical position. Again, the food was fair at best. The dessert wasn't even as good as the ones on the buffets. It seemed that the bride and groom were always arguing with someone about things that weren't done, weren't done in a timely fashion or as agreed upon. It appears that it doesn't matter what is said, you are a captive audience and there is no turning back. The staff does what they want to do, and probably always do. The bride and groom and family members had a very challenging time making the wedding a positively memorable event in their lives.
My husband and I were able to relax once the wedding was over and we had nothing to do with the staff. My husband and I have not had a vacation in at least three years and as beautiful as this place is, I am sure I can find places that have equally beautiful grounds, better food and service. I certainly would never recommend a destination celebration that involved staff, to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
7  Thank susan s
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2012

“Beautiful grounds DON´T have and organized affair here, if it involves staff”

Dear Susan,
First of all I want to let you know that we are thankful for choosing Paradisus Punta Cana as your vacation destination. Accept our most sincere apologies for the experience you had. Please know that your feedback is very important for us. Be aware that our biggest commitment with each one of our guest is give them the best service possible to make them feel they are in their home away of home.
I want to thank you for the compliments you gave to our bartenders, grounds, beach and pool area.
In relation to the food I assure you that our hotel is not only equipped with the best quality tools and machinery but with well prepared and experience chefs in order to provided the best quality service possible, therefore I’m surprise you were not pleased by the selection and quality provided. Also, know that we open a new restaurant very known On the other hand I assure you that your comment has been forwarded to the departments involved in order to find and apply ways of improvement.
On the other hand, I assure you that each one of your comments will be sent to the departments involve for them to create wasy of improvements.
Please understand that it is our commitment to make everyday a unique experience. If there is anything that you feel that I may assist you with and you wish to discuss it privately, please do not hesitate and contact me at calidad2.paradisus.punta.cana@solmelia.com.

Regards,

Francisco Castillo

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Had alot of fun all the people are very nice but, there was one person who really helped us alot and his name is Julio Beras. he showed us the ropes and made things around the resort much better. everytime he saw us he made sure the we was doing ok. i was very nervous but Julio assured me that thing will be good and it exceed my every notion.

JULIO BERAS IS THE MAN!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeremiah j
Reviewed 13 March 2012

A very special time was had everyone so very helpful the guys at the beach all do their best to get you involved. never boring for all ages. lots to do all the helpers made everyone feel special, like a home away from home. They always made everyone smile and laugh, and made the beach day amazing. they always get the crowd invloved, they are excellent teachers because they make the activities very enjoyable. they work all day, and still at night they have full energy to dance the night away. Julio Beras is always smiling, and very easy to look at, Romeo is a very good dancer and gets everybody on their feet dancing, Hector is crazy, and a lot of fun, jonathan is very kind and likes to make sure you are having a good time, andres is a very outgoing guy and is easy to talk to. the food was excellent, as the staff worked extra hard to make your meals delicious, everyone at the resturants were very nice and helpful, making sure you have enough of everything. Every single employee at the resort went out of their way to get to know the guests, and help them if they needeed it. i would recommend this resort to everybody. It is a paradise that i will come to in the future. My experience here will definatley be a vacation i will never forget.. It was excellente!

Room Tip: Families can have adjoining rooms
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Brenda T
Reviewed 12 March 2012

When choosing our March Break destination (we are a late 30's married couple), if we went by some of the negative reviews, we would have not gone to this resort. Our agent reassured us that none of her clients have ever came back disappointed. We put our trust in our agent and am super gald we did. I went in on the defense to make sure i would not get dissappointed if the room was not super cleaned, the food sucked, the people were rude etc... (you still get the sun, beach and water) There is not ONE thing I feel is worth complaining about to deter future travelers from coming here. I would have no problem coming back there next year. I talked to many guests and not ONE had a complaint about their room ,food, service etc...There were atleast 3 groups that have been here multiple times. One family has been here 6 times (not all in a row)..

FOOD

The a la cartes or speciality meals do not take reservations (except the reserve), We had a normal package and walked into these no problem. We ate at the Chinese resaurtant twice, the steak house twice, the Italian three times. The longest wait was 15 minutes which on Dominican time, you are socializing having a drink which is nice before you are seated. The only reservation needed is for the Japanese restaurant which you do the morning of the day you want down by the breasfast lobby. Ate there twice. Every place and meal was great, but like any restaurant you may make different choices next time. Ex I had the rib eyes steak the first time in the steak house, my wife had the sirloin, liked hers better (but both good), so on my second visit I had the sirloin.

Grounds

Well kept, beautiful flowers, scrubs, friendly workers

BEACH

Amazing, beautiful water colors, water was not cold at all, ran in everytime (very salty : )
Nice sand. They have great security who make sure the people selling stuff do not move up the beach at all or bug you. Sand awesome, Tonnes of chairs, beds, huts to get out of the sun, so never felt you would have to lay on the beach.

BARS

Bartenders are awesome, such great energy and unique personalities who are looking to mix you that cool drink.

ROOM

We were in just a normal room which had the king size bed, couch area infront etc.... Bar fridge always restalked. Cleaned everyday. Very nice. Talked to people who did upgrades with hot tubs, or were in the royal service or the reserve and it sounds like their rooms were amazing, BUT, what is important to one is not always important to another. If you want all the bells and whistles, do the reserve. We all eat the same food which is good, but we did not spend time in our room so to have a huge room with more beds than needed etc... that would be a waste. A nice room, good food, amazing beach was our needs.
We brought little gifts for each day, our maid was super appreciative. Hygiene stuff, cosmetics, hats, kids candy, toys, books, crayons, cards etc...

ENTERTAINMENT

Shows were great, good dancers. outside of main theatre was great live bands were they and often the performers would join in on the party or dances. Very fun

TO DO::

Lots if your busy like me- I played volleyball alot, tonnes of cool excursions to do (at a cost)
We did the para sailing and drove the dune buggies. parasailing is cool to see down on all the people and resorts. Buggies was alittle dissapointing. i wanted to play, get muddy, drive. We did have some good driving stretches, but they get you to stop at 3 spots were the people on the beach are on you to buy stuff. Harmless, but not what i thought i was signing up. If I want stuff I just walk 20 minutes down the beach to the market to negoiate on goods. You do see how some of the people live in the Dominican which if that is what you want - this would do this for you. I just wanted to drive and get muddy. We stopped at a beach if we wanted a quick dip, and a cave which was cool.

(RULE OF THUMB WHEN BUYING AT MARKET- dont pay close to what the say Ex: Asked about a beach bag and two shirts- he said $57 US, I finished with $30US. (try for almost half)

OVERALL I would highly recommend this resort to anyone. My wife and I had an amazing time. We meet lots of new and friendly people from all over the world. We made new friends who we will see this summer in Minnesota. ALL areas met my expectations, especially when i went in worried of what might suck.

The choice you have is priorities. If you want the little extras- book the reserve or the royal suite. If you are looking to get away, enjoy yourself. Go with the normal suites.

I only wrote this for I almost didn't go here because of some of the reviews posted. It was an amazing trip that has given me the opportunity to relax and enjoy a break from "life".

QUICK TIPS

Exchange money at home bank- you loss alot if done at the airport and even more at the resort EX Can - US home 1 Can = .98cents US at airport = .89 cents US, at resort .78 cents
US

Sunscreens, drugs - bring lots , at resort close to 3 x cost, ex sunscreen $27 US. We were prepared, but met someone who had to bite the bullet on the cost.

HAVE FUN, YOU WILL ENJOY YOURSELF UNLESS YOU ARE A PICKY PERSON WHO LOOKS FOR THINGS THAT AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH. : )

Room Tip: I perfer not a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple