“Awesome resort!!!!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 21 July 2011

Let's backtrack a bit...
David and I got engaged on February 3rd 2010. We knew from the

beginning that we wanted a destination wedding but did not know exactly

where. So, we had to figure out an island that would be somewhat

affordable for the whole family since we had people coming from France,

Portugal, and the USA. We decided to pick the Dominican Republic since

a lot of French people decide to vacation there. In April 2010, we

arrived at Punta Cana and stayed at Dreams the food was excellent but

we were not so thrilled with the accommodations. We took a cab ride

over to Paradisus Punta Cana to see if it was better for our wedding.

We were blown away as soon as we arrived. The Romanced team in

paradisus seemed to be very organized and professional. Coming back

to the US we decided to go with Paradisus Punta Cana and got in touch

with Theresa Calcos who helped us to plan our wedding. She was amazing

and answered every question quickly. Sharlin Olivo took care of us

during our entire wedding stay and made sure everything was going

smoothly. She was wonderful and made our wedding unforgettable.Joaquim

from arrecife fotos took our pictures and turned out beautiful ( he is

based at paradisus also). I also got my makeup and hair done at the yhi

spa which turned out great. We used dj mania who was also very good,

everyone loved the fire dancers that we booked for the end of the

night..Let's not forget about the whole staff of the resort, everyone

was friendly and always very helpful! so to sum this up if you are

looking for a destination wedding paradisus is the place to go! Thank you a thousand times for making our wedding unforgettable!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
PARADISUSPuntaCana1, General Manager at Paradisus Punta Cana Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2011

Dear Guest,

First of all, our congratulations on this new step on your life, we wish you joy and happiness through all the days of your lives.
We would like to thank you for your preference in selecting our Paradisus Punta Cana Resort for your Wedding day, as well as for letting us know about your recent experience. In our effort to continuously improve the quality of our services and facilities, we put our greatest interest and value in our guest's opinion.
It is truly a satisfaction for us to learn that you enjoyed your Special Day with us, at the Paradisus Punta Cana we have the commitment to provide quality service beyond our guest’s expectations, and it is a real pleasure for us to learn that we have achieved our goal. This definitely strengthens our philosophy of seeking the highest level of excellence in service.
We appreciate your compliments to our Staff, as it is due to their effort and dedication that we are able to accomplish our objective - the total satisfaction of our guests and make your day unforgettable. We feel proud and grateful for your compliments.
Once more, Dear Guests thank you for your valuable comments, we are looking forward to have the opportunity to serve you here at our Paradisus Punta Cana Resort.

Write a ReviewReviews (13,282)

Reviewed 18 July 2011

I arrived at the Paradisus very skeptic because of the very mixed reviews on this website... Let me just say that it's obvious that some people are just too picky and let the little things ruin their entire vacation...

Pros:
- The hotel is very tropical and open... We went there knowing that it was mostly open and that it would be hot outside (this was not our first time in the DR)
- The rooms were very nice and were cleaned everyday. Our cleaning lady was very nice and accommodating... Our building was usually cleaned around 10 am but we were still in our room so she would come back later in the day (when we took off our do not disturb sign) and cleaned the room.
- The pool and grounds were beautiful!
-Very large grounds but the trolly comes around frequently...
-Drinks were very good not watered down as I had expected... and if you ask nicely they will add more liquor.
-No problems getting towels or chairs at the beach or pool.
-No one ever tried to sell us any type of vacation club.
-I know this can't be controlled but we had great weather!!!!

Cons:
- The food was average all-inclusive food... comparable to what I've had at other all inclusive resorts... nothing great but nothing horrible.
-The dinner buffet was only open one night.. in my opinion it should be opened all nights.
-long waits for dinner because the rest. are small
-The entertainment was pretty all-inclusive too but that's not what we went for.

All in all... we went for a nice and relaxing vacation and that's exactly what we got!!!!!! The service was great. We also didn't have any problems with valuables because we had everything in the safe and kept the keys with us the entire time.... Also, we stayed at the regular area of the resort no reserve or royal service and were treated the same :)

Hope this helps someone out :)

6  Thank ddiaz008

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for let us know about your recent stay at Paradisus Punta Cana, I am very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, that made me feel very proud of our property service and staff that contribute to that wonderful experience.
I regret that the menu of some of our Restaurants was not of your liking, we have a great commitment with the gastronomic experience we offer, buying only top quality products within the offer of the island for both local and imported. Our Chefs are very dedicated professional and cook from their heart; however I have passed on to Food&Bavarage General Manager all your comments. Referring to the restaurant opening, several weeks ago we started to open every day the buffet restaurant for lunch and dinner.
Thank you again for selected Paradisus Punta Cana, we are looking forward to receive you in another future stays!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 18 July 2011

Usually, I dread traveling with my 2 yr old and 6 yr old since I know it will be exhausting. Well, this was not the case at the Reserve at the Paradisus. This was the most relaxing trip we have every had with my whole family. I even invited my sister and her family to join us next year. One major reason for the success of this vacation was Silvio. He was a miracle worker. He was attentive and helpful. My kids loved him. I will come back year after year, as long as he is there. I felt like I was in paradise. I was able to relax knowing I didn't have to worry about one thing (dinner reservations, my kids activities, my husbands birthday cake). He even made sure my fridge was stocked with my kids favorite drinks. Silvio, we will be back!!! This place would be a perfect 10, if only they would improve the food.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for let us know about your recent stay at Paradisus Punta Cana with your family, I am very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, that made me feel very proud of our property service and staff that contribute to that wonderful experience. It is thanks employees like them people that we are able to accomplish our goal - the total satisfaction of our guests. You may rest assured that your comments have been forwarded to him.
Thank you again for selected Paradisus Punta Cana, we are looking forward to receive you and your family in another future stays!

Kindest regards

Reviewed 16 July 2011

As I stated above, we left our honeymoon early. I've never experienced anything like this place, and I've been all over the Caribbean and Mexico. I could barely eat or drink all week, and spent more time in a bathroom than the beach. Here's what you should know. Take it from me, go somewhere else and save yourself from another bad experience.

1. Upon first coming to the Paradisus, when we were checking in, they weren't very busy, but the process seemed to take forever. I think the man who stepped in to check us in (Leonardo) was not the person who usually checks people in. When he was searching frantically through all of our paperwork, he kept saying, "I need the confirmation number," over and over. We pretty much handed him all of the papers we had. He made a copy of every single one, still going on and on about some confirmation number, although the paperwork with our name and information for our room was right in front of him. I told him that we were on our honeymoon and he seemed to dismiss that as soon as he said that. I said it again and he said to not worry we are in the reserve area and have a royal service room. When he was finished checking us in he asked us to sit at the couch and told us that he would see about an upgrade and to meet him the next morning. He asked what time we usually get up and he told us he would call us at 8:30 the next morning. He called the next morning and we had a golf cart come and get us the next morning. We sat down with him and he told us we would have to fill out this paperwork where he specifically told us what to put down, what not to say, and how to get around and get "approved" for the 30 second presentation. After 2 hours and pointless frustrations I finally told the Sol Melia people that we would like to get on with our honeymoon and we don't want to be in any vacation club, which brings me to problem number 2.

2. I didn't have a problem sitting through anything that lasts 30 seconds, but the fact that that wasn't the case, and that we were misled immensely really makes me angry. The Sol Melia showed us the Reserve area, the pool, the restaurant of the Reserve, the kid area, and the rooms. He went on and on about how great the Paradisus Palma Real is and made us feel like we were staying at a hostile instead of a 5 star resort. Sure we could have upgraded if we joined the vacation club for 1000 dollars, plus 200 dollars a month. When I assured the man that we would not be spending that money he then brought in the manager, or closer, I'm assuming. I told her we just spent a lot of money on our wedding and that we really couldn't afford to spend anything else. I was trying to be as nice and calm as possible. She then asked us how much we spent on our wedding. She took that number, added another thousand to that and asked us if we would have not had our wedding if it cost that much. I swear I almost hit her. At that point I was furious and frustrated and we, amid kindly, got up and left.

3. When we went to lunch at Vita, because no one communicated or understood our English, we didn't even receive drinks until our second course. The restaurant was outside and it was 100 degrees out. The only thing we needed was something to drink.

3. Whenever I would go to the bathroom outside of our room, the lights would go out on me. There's no windows in the bathrooms so I had to sit there until my eyes adjusted. That became a frustrating game to play.

4. Don't even think about using washcloths in your shower. I asked three times for washcloths and still never received any. The person on the phone kept saying hand towels, and I didn't know the Spanish word for washcloths so I just gave up. Language barrier is a huge disadvantage to English speaking people.

5. The resort had zero seafood. How can you see the ocean and get better seafood in Columbus, Ohio? All week they were out of shrimp. I never saw any crab, and the seafood restaurant was a joke. Everything you order is sea bass, but the menu says something else.

6. Terra: the steak house. They were out of sirloin, and their ribeye was called a ribey.

7. Japanese restaurant: This restaurant was pretty good, but their california roll was great except there was no fish. All it was was rice rolled up with cucumber and carrot. At that point I ate it because I was starving....

8. I was pretty much sick the whole time. I won't go into too much detail about this but let's just say that as soon as I stopped eating the food I stopped going to the bathroom.

9. Our refrigerator in our room wasn't working. No problem. Received a new one, which still worked poorly so I think that's how they all work. The refrigerator proceeded to sit outside of our door for the next two days. We just stepped around it. At one point someone in the same building knocked on our door while I was blow-drying my hair because he saw the refrigerator and thought the blow-dryer was a drill and was looking for someone in maintenance.

10. You can hear EVERYTHING going on outside of the room. There were a couple partiers and we heard them begin their evening, but also heard when they ended their evening outside too. I swear it sounded like they were in the same room with us! This happened Wednesday night so at that point it didn't matter because we knew we were leaving the next day.

11. If you lose your beach towel card, no beach towel for you. I had to just take them off of the chairs in the area of the pool where we weren't even allowed.

12. All inclusive resort: one beer choice. That's it! You can have a Presidente, no other beer!

13. The biggest problem with this resort is that you are labeled as the bracelet you wear. If you have a royal service bracelet on then you were treated very well. If you had on the other bracelet you were not. Simple as that. You can order what you wanted for room service, like a can of Presidente Light, but you couldn't get that at the pool, unless you were in the Royal Service pool. It was very disheartening to know how much we paid for the trip and how poorly our honeymoon ended up!

Do NOT waste your time or money here!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mrsje0702
Reviewed 16 July 2011

To start, I must say that my husband and I are not picky and usually have a good time wherever we go, but this resort is not worth what you pay for. To start with the check-in is a nightmare! We arrived at the resort close to 3 p.m. and the room was not ready, then, we were greeted by a concierge (salesman) that checked us in and immidiately set up some appointment for us for tomorrow at breakfast, we of course realized that he was selling something while our room is being cleaned, we were hungry and wanting to go to the beach. Finally, at about 4 p.m. we got another room because something was wrong with ours, it was nice but no towels yet until much later on. The back door had trouble closing, but my husband found a way to close it. The beach was wavy and lots of seaweed, but nice! We quickly found out that half of the resort is under reparation and lots of men are always walking around the grounds. We had a big group and one of them had credit cards stolen from their room, while another family member was very surprised when shed walked out of the bathroom naked and a man was standing in her room with a very poor excuse. We did not feel safe at any moment, the safe in the room is very old fashion, lock and key, so we had to carry that key everywhere. The food was not good, breakfast buffet was the best, because omelettes were always good. Out of 12 restaurants only 4 were open each night, they switched them around and most of them are in the open. The buffet were only for breakfast and lunch, dinner was a la carte and the portions were very little and no side dishes, even at the caribbean restaurant the food was a dissapointment! The people were very nice to us,because we speak spanish and my husband and I kidded a lot with them, but some of our group had a much harder time communicating with them. What we liked the best was the beach, the pool and the weather. What we liked the least is the way this hotel is set up, the rooms are very far from everything, the restaurants are by the beach (except for 2) and the lobby is like a 10 min walk. You need to take the train to go to the lobby, where the shows, the casino and the 2 restaurants are. Basically, you need to take the train to go everywhere, the restaurants and the lobby are in opposite directions. The grounds are pretty, but it doesn't have the beach feeling, I felt like I was more in a jungle than at the beach. We will most probably never return to this resort, not even to the Reserve, where everything seems to be better, at least from the outside.