“Very Nice Vacation” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 41 Hotels in Puerto Plata
Mason, Michigan, United States
“Very Nice Vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

We spent March 1-March 7, 2012 at Lifestyle Tropical Beach Resort. We had a very nice time. There were some down falls to the resort such as waiting in line for dinner reservations and the unorganized check-in but all in all it was well worth the money. We spent two days on the VIP beach but discovered the beach by the Cofresi was very nice and less crowded. There are several beach beds on this beach which are much more nicer than on the VIP beach. The Sunday welcome party is not to be missed. We booked through CheapCaribbean so we wore the yellow bands but I felt received the same wonderful service as the other color bands.

Room Tip: We stayed in building four, lower floor. I would have liked to have been on a higher floor however t...
6 Thank Amy C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,003)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Houston, TX
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

I think this is your run-of-the-mill all-inclusive resort. The best part for us was the beautiful ocean waters the resort had access to.

You have all day access to their "International" buffet that varied a little from day to day but was essentially the same. The food at this buffet was better than dorm food but not by much. Then you can eat at one of their on-site restaurants for different flavors and better food a few of the nights (for a 5-night stay, we got two vouchers for dinner).

The rooms were all new and nice. You do not get free WiFi in the room although you can pay to get it. There is a WiFi router in each room so the connection speed should be good if you buy the package. We got a room close to the ocean and had a really nice view of the ocean from our balcony. Good climate control, TV, fan in every room, nice bathroom, and nice (albeit soft and springy) beds.

As for activities, you get your standard offerings of scuba, snorkeling, banana boats, parasailing, lounging on the beach, exercise classes, dancing lessons, shows at night, music and dancing in the evenings, plenty of pools, a nice exercise room, a spa (which we did not use), ping-pong/hockey table/billiards, and the weekly bash in the VIP area of the resort. We ended up taking a taxi to Puerto Plata (the resort is actually about 3 Km outside of the city) and walking around. This was certainly a highlight for us since we enjoy more of adventure and seeing the local life. We found Puerto Plata to be safe and enjoyable to walk through. You will get the standard peddlers and people trying to sell you stuff. Don't feel like you have to give them anything. Also, all major currencies are accepted with USD being the most useful.

Finally, the alcohol situation. The good - alcohol is included in the all-inclusive fee. Drink to your hearts content. The bad - the alcohol is the very cheapest kind (the brand is "Classic"). We found it really hard to keep any kind of buzz, not sure why. The drinks were ok and they don't shy away from giving you plenty of alcohol in your drink if you want it. They have around 10 standard cocktails like Piña Colada, Daiquiri, and Cuba Libre. But they can also make other drinks per request. The beer is the local variety (Presidente) which we think is very good. For the wine drinkers, you'll struggle. We live in Spain and drink good wine daily. The wine there is quite poor. We were able to pay $25 for a bottle of decent Chilean wine to celebrate our Honeymoon. You need to ask the wait staff and give them a story as this is not standard.

Our goal was to veg for a week and that is what we got so we enjoyed our stay. It is not the type of vacation we favor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the beach. Most of the rooms do not.
5 Thank srgarcia
weymouth, ma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

We spent Tuesday Feb 7- Tuesday Feb. 14 2012 experiencing the worst vacation ever. My wife started to vomit late Wed. evening and was so dehydrated that after a visit to the on-site medical facility on Thur. was transported by ambulance to the hospital. She spent all of that day and most of the following day being treated wit iv fluids. Upon release and returning to the "resort" by Fri. she was experiencing a severe case of diarrhea. That evening, I also spent my time vomiting which was also accompanied by the runs. On Sun. we went to the lobby to report our experiences and encountered two other couples with similar experiences. One of whom was so sick that he had to lie down on a couch in the lobby while awaiting transportation to the airport After these encounters, we started checking with other people to determine if they had similar experiences. The results were overwhelmingly similar to our own!

This complaint was registered with Felix at the Olympus/Cheap Caribbean desk and also at the quest services desk. Also, there would be a report at the on-site medical facility.

This resort should be removed from Cheap Caribbean's recommended destinations, allegations made in this report should be further investigated. Similarly, Olympus Tours should do the same.

We would strongly recommend that no one ever consider a visit to this destination. I know that we will never go there again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ceajoy
Brooklyn, New York, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

I'll make this review easy and painless....unlike my stomach!

Pros:
- Very clean grounds
- Nice beach & pools
- Very spacious and not crowded
- Cheap

Cons:
- They don't give you any information about the place when you get there. It's one big guessing game. You need to get towel cards which the never gave us and never told us about. You need to make dinner reservations the second you get there which we were never told.
- They have two buffets which was both absolutely HORRIBLE. I've been home for two days now and mine and my wife's stomachs are still destroyed. When I say destroyed I mean both of us almost had to be put on a saline IV!
- The guys walking around with the clip boards trying to sell you a membership are like mosquitoes...they never go away and bothered me up until the time I was checking out.
- The liquor by the pools are 100% watered down and they only offer one beer...ONE BEER.
- Most people pay extra for "vip" which is not worth it because you need to get down to the cabana beds at 7am to reserve one...who wants to wake up at 7am on their vacation?
- I almost passed out and asked for a bottle of water which NO ONE could find me so I had to walk all the way down to the pool bar and literally had to be helped by an elderly woman because I was so weak.
- The place overall was clean but the floor in my room kept my feet dirty. I walked around the first night in a pair of socks that I had to throw out.
- One couple we met said their AC wasn't working while another said it would leak all over the floor in their bathroom.

Overall there is no chance in hell I would go back here or recommend it to anyone. You pay for an all inclusive in an area where you can't leave so you would suspect that they would keep you fed and happy....not the case.

1 Thank Justin S
NE OH
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

You get MORE! For the cost this resort it is a great value.
My wife and I travel 1-2 times a year in the Caribbean / Mexico for the last 8 years. We are experienced in caribbean travel and we enjoyed ourselves. Have we been pampered more? absolutley but for the cost we had a tremendous experience. and at no time I did not feel low class. I could have paid more for a fancier resort but chose to find a value for other that were traveling with us.

1. The food is limited in selection, but the quality was as good or better that other higher priced resorts I have experienced. We recieved 2 reservations at check in. Changed one and got another. Bellini was the best. No one in our party was ill.

2. The white shirt guys do not hound you. I said no on day one, pretended I was one my phone on day 2 and they never approached us again. I thought they were polite in doing there JOB.

3. Yes I waited in line for 30 minutes each day to get a VIP bed, but I have done this at almost every resort I have visited. It is a standard system. Try the system in Aruba and you will be very happy with this one!

4. VIP beach and pools were fantastic. The lack of better drinks at other bars was disapointing, but we worked around it. They poured strong. I spent time with many gold sparkeled bracelets and they do not get more that the yellow bracelets. so if you feel like you were looked down upon I think it is within you.

5. Check in was fast and they even changed the room of guests we were traveling with to a different building in a room next door per our request.

6. The rooms are out dated and the bottled water and Presidente was spotty, but the room was cleaned well every day. Showers are odd, but I have had worse designs in brand new hotels. Bring your own soap.

7. The welcome party was OUTRAGEOUS in size, quality and expense. A must! I am a professional musician and rarley impressed by the shows, but this one blew me away.

Just Go and ENJOY!

Room Tip: Building 5 is by the quiet pool, but building 6 is half the size and more quiet. Building 5 & 6...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends