33 people are viewing this hotel
US$214
Free cancellation until 09/12/22
Reserve now, pay at stay
Priceline
Hotels.comUS$214
travelup.comUS$200
Lol.travelUS$233
7,224 results
All reviews snack bar brazilian restaurant vip lounge kids club entertainment staff dominican republic a la carte restaurants great resort recommend this resort michael jackson show other resorts great vacation cable car nightly shows whole week family vacation lots of fun
Selected filters
Reviewed 31 July 2022

This hotel needs to be remodeled, the conditions of the rooms are precarious (Room.8228), the bathroom was a complete pool because all the water from the shower went straight to the floor causing a flood in the entire bathroom, I was there to try and then go with 10 members of my family, but I do not recommend this hotel to anyone, if go you will lose your money.

Reviewed 29 July 2022

I love this hotel the people are the best. Everything it’s lovely the show are the best. I been here like 4 times already.. the pool and the restaurant are good. My kids love it the beach are clean. I will love to bring all my family. Love mosquito

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2022

We regret purchasing an all-inclusive week at Be Live Collection Marien with Sunwing Vacations. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS RESORT. Read more to find out why.

Starting off with the positives, just like an tourist who doesn’t know they’ve been fooled yet; the food was incredibly delicious, the one and only pool was always clean, and the drinks were surprisingly strong. That’s where the positives end though and the negatives begin.

1 - WEEKENDS ARE OPEN TO LOCALS
As a Latin couple who live in Toronto, we were excited to learn about the culture and see what the island had to offer. Being the only 2 passengers aboard Sunwing flying from Toronto to this hotel, we were immediately deceived when we arrived. Everyone we saw was probably 95% locals, and I am sure we were the only Canadians at the resort. As a woman, I did not feel safe walking around alone, especially at night. During the day, I avoided the pool area because I felt harassed by the locals. Families everywhere drinking, smoking, yelling and children everywhere in the pool, I did not feel welcomed at all. The restaurant was the same madness, people cut in front of you to take food like it’s the last day on Earth. I had to also wait to get a clean plate and it was always a challenge finding a table to sit at. This type of wild and loud experience is not the reason we travelled so far for. Not to mention that on Saturday, when we went to pick up 2 pool towels, we were turned down because there were no more towels available. From our perspective, this “5 star” hotel, services the local first, and then the tourist who travelled internationally. If you must absolutely come to this hotel, don’t go on weekends.

2 - LATE CHECK-IN, DIRTY ROOM & NO PRIVACY
Sunwing vacations sold us an all-inclusive vacation for a week at a 4.5 star resort for only $1,050 before tax. The flight departing Toronto, CA was at 6:15am, meaning we were there at 3am waiting in the line to check in our luggage. Fast forward to later that morning when we were dropped off by the airport shuttle, we proceeded to check in into the resort at around 11am.

Disappointment greeted us at the lobby when we learned that our room wasn’t ready yet. We waited 5 hours for our room and upon getting to the room situated in Block 8, Room 8114 on the first floor, we found a thick spider cobweb in the bathroom behind the door. Not to mention the cockroach we found and squished in the middle of the room; or the stains on the wall and furniture. Within minutes after arriving, my partner and I were laying on the bed when a cleaning staff lady ENTERED THE ROOM to drop off coffee. STAFF ENTERED OUR ROOM TWICE during our stay and yes our door was locked and the ‘Do not disturb’ sign was on the door.

The first morning at the hotel was the worst morning of all. We had somehow made a reservation with a hotel representative for a 9am VIP Club orientation, by which we received calls from the lobby in increments of 30 minutes to 1 hour for up to 5 times that morning. Who in the right of mind, would want to be ready in the lobby at 9am their first morning arriving to a resort?? Calling us so early, disrupting our sleep continuously was COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE.

A quick note on privacy: there is none. The room we were initially put in had interconnecting doors with the room next door where a family with small children were staying. Every word the kids said to mom, we could hear. We had ZERO PRIVACY with our neighbors and not to mention the door leaks a lot of sound. You can hear families walking into the building with their flip flops.

That morning after being fed up with the person who called us without shame, we went to the lobby to request that they change our room. We explained everything we saw: the cockroach that my boyfriend squished in the middle of the room, and the thick beautifully designed cobweb behind the door on the bathroom. And if you’ve stayed at this resort, you would know that when you’re on the toilet, the door is about 15 inches from your face. You can imagine how difficult it would be for a tourist who’s down with food poisoning and being in that tiny bathroom. Anyways, in order to change rooms, we had to walk to the VIP office and explain everything all over again. We were then escorted to our room where we went to show the evidence. After that was done, we went back to the lobby where they informed us we would get a new room after 3pm. At this point, we are now halfway done our Day 2 and we have yet to just sit down with a drink and relax. After 6pm, we finally got our new room on the third floor and it was better. It had a balcony and a view to some farm.

3 - ROOM SERVICE & STAFF CUSTOMER SERVICE
The second morning at the hotel (and first morning in the new room), I was surprised to hear a deep “moooo” and that’s when I came to see a family of cows on the other side of a tiny river that separated the resort with the outside world. It was concerning to see the perimeter fence with several holes to allow bystanders to enter and exit whenever.

The rooms at this hotel are outdated, have stains on the walls and furniture, have open wall sockets and may have roaches. The bed sheets were never changed during our stay. The biggest complaint is the feeling that we were unwelcomed and costing the staff money. Every day, they would give us 1 water bottle and 1 roll of toilet paper. To get more, you would have to call the front lobby and at least 30 minutes later, someone would come by with the supplies. I called a minimum of 2 times every single day, which made it a hassle. A hassle to get basic service, basic supplies. Middle of the week, the shower head broke off and I had to finish my shower with the hose itself. The next day, maintenance came to fix it, who was very unfriendly not to mention. He replaced the broken shower head with a working one, and went about his day.

When we first arrived at the hotel, we were happily greeting everyone who worked there, engaged in conversations and gave tips for everything. But as the week progressed, service was just not there. There were numerous times we would go to the buffet for dinner, and there would be no service at our table. We didn’t have any water service, or any clean forks or glasses. Absolutely no service, although they seem to be bored just standing there watching. This made us feel NOT WELCOMED. There was even one night that the restaurant supposedly closed at 10pm and we arrived at 9:30pm. They completely denied us service and out of hunger, we grabbed bread that was sitting around all day. QUALITY SERVICE IS LACKING AND STAFF IS UNFRIENDLY.

4 – SCAMMED $800 CAD (FOR THEIR $600USD GIFT TO USE AT BE LIVE HOTELS IN DR)
This “5 star hotel” aggressively promotes their travel club package for all Be Live hotels across the country and access to their internationally owned Hub where you can buy flights, cruises and hotels. They persisted on us buying their $16,000 travel club package for 2 hours (after having breakfast with them). It finally came to an end and that’s when a guy called “Gregorio C” sat down and introduced himself as quality control. Another hour passed by and somehow the discussion shifted to him offering us a gift we that couldn’t pass up. For $600 USD, we could have 2 weeks of vacation all paid, with absolutely nothing else to pay for our dream vacation. It was too good to be true unfortunately. We fell for the scam and paid for this $600 “gift”. After stepping out of the VIP office where they scam people, we read the disclosure agreement of the “Fly Back Certificate” that we just bought and learned that the representative Gregorio C scammed us. The so claimed $600 USD that we already paid actually EXCLUDES daily all-inclusive rates, round-trip airfare and airport shuttle. PLEASE SAY NO TO ANY VIP PACKAGE, TRAVEL CLUB PACKAGE, or TIMESHARE business. The $50 USD voucher they give you after wasting 5 hours of your precious time, is only good if 1 person goes for a 30 minute massage. For us, the langosta dinner was unavailable, and every redeemable option including the couple’s massage, was all incredibly expensive, making the $50 voucher not even worth using. This hotel and their services are a scam.

Everything has gone wrong with this resort but on the bright side, it taught us that Sunwing works with the hotel to scam customers. Why sell an all-inclusive package that has flights departing at 6am, forcing all passengers to stay awake all night, only to drop them off at the resort at 11am and not give them keys to their rooms until after 3pm? This is their business strategy to get their customers to arrive at the hotel exhausted. They do this so they can throw their persistent sales pitch; ex. for travel clubs offering a VIP experience where you don’t have to wait for your room when you arrive to the hotel. They promote such a welcoming service at a VIP rate, as if it is not the expectation of a tourist to get their room at check-in. Instead, they make it seem as if it’s an upgrade worth paying for. The way business works in the travel sector is sickening.

5 -LIMITED ACTIVITITIES, BORING RESORT
There aren’t many places you can get some food and the hours at which restaurants or the pool are open is very limited. The one and only pool closes at 7pm. After 10pm, the resort is ghost town. Unless it’s the weekend, when it’s invaded by locals. Then you’ll be hearing them yelling and making noise all night.

The beach during the day had locals walking around at all times and selling you services. We even had 2 men approach us asking for money. THE BEACH DOES NOT LOOK LIKE IN THE PICTURES. It has algea everywhere!!

Getting to the hotel, we were told that a Sunwing representative would be around at 1pm the following day to show us all the excursions that we can do during our stay in Puerto Plata. Well, the hotel was so busy scamming us with their travel VIP club package, that we missed our time slot to meet with a Sunwing representative. We went back to the lobby every single day of the way only to find an empty table. We couldn’t book any excursions because of this issue and we are extremely disappointed. I downloaded the app before the trip and made sure I was signed in and ready to go on travel day. When travel day came around and I was at the airport, the app failed to show me my trip. I tried to sign out, back in and re-add my trip but it said it was already in my account and couldn’t be added twice. The app was basically useless at all points of the trip and was no help whatever when I chatted with them regarding an urgent issue the day of our check out. No response from Sunwing.

6 - DO NOT EAT AT THE SNACK BAR AT NIGHT
On the 5th night, we ate a hot dog, fried chicken and a hamburger at the snack bar. Around 3 hours later, the food poisoning began. I got so scared my partner was dying that I got medication from the nearest pharmacy “farmacia crystal”. We strongly regret ever eating at the snack bar. Flying back home with food poisoning and flying to Pearson none the less, was a horrible experience. The entire week put us on survival mode and really tested our relationship from the moment we arrived to the hotel to the moment we arrived back home. One week later, we are finally beginning to feel better.

7 – WIFI IS A SCAM AND IS VERY POOR
Arriving on a Friday, we discovered how poor the WIFI at this resort truly is. They advertise free WIFI for 1 hour a day but that’s a lie. On the third day, we ended up paying for the $20 USD weekly pass ($26 CAD). Then on Tuesday, we were told that the WIFI was now free. WIFI COSTS MONEY ON WEEKENDS TO DISCOURAGE THE LOCALS FROM USING ALL OF THE WIFI. Tuesday and Wednesday is when we noticed more tourists arriving at the resort, which makes sense why it suddenly becomes free without notice. HOWEVER, even if you pay for it, it is extremely poor. Whatsapp calls get dropped within seconds and WIFI sometimes turns off at night.

This review is coming from two 29 year-olds who speak Spanish natively and have been around the world multiple times. Also being Canadian, we can say with confidence that a week at this resort should not cost more than $600 CAD with flight included. Our first vacation as a couple was ruined and put us on survival mode every single day of the week. We got ripped off, got scammed and sick. AVOID THIS RESORT, IT IS NOT WORTH YOUR TIME, HEALTH AND MONEY.

2  Thank 948stefanieg
Reviewed 18 July 2022

My visit at the resort was very fun. Me and my family had alot of fun with the activities offered by the resort. The staff are very nice and respectful. The food has a wonderful taste and I very much enjoyed the shows. Definitely would come again

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2022 via mobile

The resort is ok at best. I've been coming for 3 years and the only complaint is always the same. Make breakfast a better experience, never eggs, bacon or other American food. .Other Be Live locations do a much better job. The wait staff does a good job .

Date of stay: July 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple