Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Booking.comUS$212
Hotels.comUS$136
PricelineUS$212
TripadvisorUS$136
Official HotelUS$155
FindHotelUS$160
7,126 results
All reviews ocean grill octopus quiet pool catalina building vintage club premium package a la carte restaurants main pool swim up bar dominican republic italian restaurant entertainment team evening entertainment coral reef the bell boy no gracias punta cana
Selected filters
Reviewed 31 July 2022

My wife and I have been to many, many resorts (mostly Dominican, Cuba and Mexico). This resort was really good and the food was one of the best. It was better than the Palace in the Mayan Riviera (Mexico), which we paid premium for. The buffet was incredible and different at every meal. Always hot and fresh. Amazing wait staff (Rosa, Andres, Felix). Even the 'snack bar' by the beach had amazing fish fillets. Oh, it also had nachos! No, nachos are not fine dining but a great snack. The a la carts were great as well (Ocean Grill had crappy service; might have been an off night).

The entertainment staff were amazing! Chihuahua is such a nice guy! He remembers people's names and gets people involved (no pressure, just fun). They try hard.

The nightly entertainment was great some nights and some nights not so good. We have seen this before at other resorts. We were there for two weeks so some of the shows repeat. It was interesting to see how the same show was good one week and did not go so well the next week. It the crowd isn't into it, it can effect the show so get involved - you're on vacation!

The rooms were great and super clean. No, we didn't get the fancy flamingo towels but our rooms were well taken care of. Water pressure was stronger than at home and hot water was hot!

It was a smaller resort than we were used to. Often, after dinner, we like to go for a walk. If we stayed on the resort, it would be a short walk but if you walk down the beach, you can go all night. This would be the only thing that we had to get used to. We are used to large, sometimes huge resorts. This resort being small, our walk would be finished way too early and we would go again or try to find something else to do.

There were a few nights where we didn't want to watch the show but had nothing else to do. At other resorts, we would walk and talk until we passed out. At this resort, we had our short walk then sat by the pool and talked (or played yatzee). It was fun but I did wish they had something else going on. They should do a beach party or something.

There is a disco at the mall. We went a few times. Most of the times, it wasn't very busy and, since it was off the resort, we had to pay for drinks.

The mall is within walking distance and is very safe to walk to. You will pass a couple of friendly security guards and taxi drivers. I will share a couple of warnings though. It's a nice mall with lots of souvenirs and two bars. If you need cash, there is a Scotiabank machine there. DO NOT GET YOUR MONEY EXCHANGED AT THE MALL! Those guys are asses and are crooks! The venders at the mall were good (friendly) and had lots of variety. I would recommend buying souvenirs at the market on the beach (about 30 minute walk). Here's another warning, DO NOT BUY SOUVENIRS from the beach venders who walk around the resort's beach (they are crooks too). Go to the Market (looking at the ocean, walk left, past the rocks, for 30 minutes). Great market!

The ocean is nice with a bunch of fish (for the kids to see) but there is coral and grass. My family and I are avid snorkelers. In that regard, it wasn't so good. I did find some paths to deeper water with some reefs but not much to see.

If you walk left along the beach, there is deep water, which was really fun. If you want deeper water and bigger waves, keep walking left, past the rocks. It's about half way to the market. It was nice to have these different options.

One vender who I would buy from again was Gilbert, on the beach. He sells cheaper versions of the excursions. There are not identical to the ones that Sunwing or Air Transat sells but they end up at the same destinations. The waterfalls were great! Jumping off different cliffs into a river was pretty fun! It is a long walk up the mountain though. BRING YOUR WATER SHOES!

Another excursion we did was the Dune Buggies. This was super fun but not as much mud as we hoped. We also had to drive through villages between trails. I didn't mind, just didn't expect that. Oh, BRING A BANDANA!!!! That's not just mud; remember there are cows and horses walking around leaving piles of .... that you splash through. We stopped half way to wash off in the ocean. That was a great part. Again, more beach venders. We drove a bit more then went swimming in the river. Wear water shoes as we did find some broken glass.

With regards to the locals, on summer weekends, I thought it was great that they could experience the resort as we did. Was nice to play pool volleyball with them and it was nice to have them participate at the nightly entertainment. What bothered me was (especially at the beach bar) they do get served first. Even if you are the first person at the bar, they will serve the locals as they arrive before you. LuisM, at the beach bar made this very obvious. Regardless, I thought it was nice that the locals enjoyed the resort as well. It's their country.

In summary, I really enjoyed this place and the people who worked there. There were a few things that I would recommend changing but I could easily say that about any resort. Just make the most of it and enjoy yourself. We did.

1  Thank I9539ZNmp
Reviewed 27 July 2022

My Mother and I (26) stayed at the hotel for two weeks and the stay exceeded our expectations. For my mother it was her third vacation in the Dominican Republic and she liked this hotel overall the best.

Staff:
All staff are incredible, they really know what attentive good service looks like. From reception to guest services, cleaners and the animation team, everyone was always super friendly and anticipating your needs. I would like to especially highlight and thank the hard work of Yohaira, Melissa, Carlos, Amable, Denny and Hipolito from service, who always took fantastic care of us during breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Food:
The food was outstanding for its category - always fresh fish and steak grilled to perfection. You could also always find a large variation of everything local dishes, pasta, salads, fruits and cakes. They mix it up on a daily basis so it doesn’t get boring. We even preferred the buffet over the a la carte restaurants due to its grand variety.

Hotel:
The Hotel and its premises are beautiful, with the beach and two pools you always find a spot according to your liking. It is completely up to you whether you would like the team of entertainers to teach you salsa, join their aerobic sessions in the pool or play a fun game and win a prize. If you don’t feel like action, the other pool and beach offer a calm vibe.

Entertainment:
Especially Roberto with his fun vibes and Amoury (Chiwawa) with his great presentation/mic skills always put a smile on your face and spread amazing, energetic vibes in a really pleasant way.
They are also great at teaching you how to dance and leading even if you have never done it before!
Roberto came to dinner with us twice and every time it was super fun - we learned a lot about the local culture and foods!
My favourite evening shows were the dance shows and live bands.
Some of the comedy show I did not really enjoy however the dance numbers were incredibly funny. Furthermore, for me personally Karaoke would also not have to take place more than once.
The evening program mostly finishes at 10.30 - 11 pm which I would have preferred to go on longer.

Reception:
We were checked in during a rush hour which meant we did not receive a welcome drink and the check in was rather quick without much explanation therefore we had to return later to then get a lock for our safe. Additionally, our initial room smelled damp but we were able to change a day later. Issues were always resolved quickly and in a nice manner.

One last note, on the weekend the resort is open to locals so it gets busy and noisier which I find interesting to see however it would be nice to enforce the quiet pool as a quiet are as we had encounters with drinking crowds in the pool, reserving an array of empty sun chairs and loud music blasting. On one incident someone came and told them to turn the music off however it was not consistent enough.

Overall, great experience and we would always return for a second stay.
Thank you to the whole team it was an amazing time!

Leonie & Christiane

Reviewed 27 July 2022

I came to stay at Gran Ventana for a solo trip after a very stressful few months in my life! I couldn’t believe how happy and friendly all the staff were! The food was amazing! The hotel is super clean and has beautiful colours. Whenever you need something, the staff are so happy to help you! They are happy to work there and they smile with you and ask you how are you? It’s such a nice atmosphere! Everything is close by and the pool is beautiful! The staff in the restaurants are so good! They work so well! The shows are so much fun at night and they have great activities in the day! The entertainment staff are AMAZING! Roberto, Chiwawa and Coco Loco are so great! They are always making a good time for us! They do such a wonderful job with the show! Roberto always says hello to everyone and is always fun! Roberto always has a positive energy and excited to do the games. Chiwawa made the show many times and was great on the speaker. Coco loco is so friendly always talking to the people. This made my trip UNFORGETTABLE!
There was a new perosn there his name is Eduard and he is super nice and introduced himself. He is the new entertainment manager and he has brought a whole new positive energy to the hotel!
I LOVE GRAN VENTANA!
I can’t wait to come back!
The rooms are gorgeous as well with great service. The reception desk does a wonderful job. The hotel is so close to amenities like a mall, pharmacy, movie theatre, restaurants and disco. This is an amazing hotel for everyone! The best in Puerto Plata!
Sending my love to Gran Ventana! I miss you already!

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 26 July 2022

Wow exceeded my expectations the beautiful hotel the food wow Top 10 the super efficient employees I thank Santa because he did everything possible so that my husband and I were pleased with our room 100%% Recommended when you go there and ask for it Thousands of thanks holy

Date of stay: July 2022
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2022

This was our third time here and the staff tried very hard to make us happy. We were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and all of the employees, especially Solange at guest services made us feel very special. The entertainers always got us to participate in the activities and made sure that we had fun. I would definitely come back.
In areas that need improvement, the rooms could be updated a little. They were very clean but kind of old. Also the weekends are very crowded with locals so if you were going on an excursion do it on the weekend.

Date of stay: June 2022