2,770 results
All reviews sun club coco cafe pizza shop windows buffet da mario gaucho grill explorers club main pool asian restaurant foam party kids club recommend this resort great resort family vacation entertainment team dominican republic a la carte restaurants
Reviewed 15 March 2018

I am genuinely mystified at any negative comments about this resort. Some people expect ridiculous service. Every complaint I saw on here I did not agree with when I got to the resort. My boyfriend took me here for my 26th birthday. We let Sunwing know it was my birthday and he wanted to do something special, but of course with Sunwing, the service was terrible and this was not communicated. However, when we went to one of the many amazing restaurants, the staff brought out a whole cake on the fly just for me! It was so memorable!
What can I say about this place...besides the fact that it is amazing! It was my very first vacation and I have so many good memories. We were in building 6 which was very far from everything but we didn't mind. It was a gorgeous walk to our building and it was very friendly, all the staff said hi to us when we walked by. Our room was huge and the view as actually very nice for where we were located, I loved it! Cleaners could have done a bit better of a job but I'm not picky.
The pool was a great place to sit, even though people reserved the chairs. The first couple of days we did not do that but it is literally the only way to get a chair. We would wake up early for breakfast at 7. Windows had THE BEST omelette station. Wish I had gotten the chef's name. Same with their pasta station, it was to die for. I loved the pizza place, the Italian restaurant and Gauchos. Tamarindo's was okay for snacks. I would recommend going to dinner early to avoid wait times. We both don't like Asian food so we never dined at that restaurant. I also loved Castaways, where my boyfriend and I shared a romantic lobster dinner. It was picture perfect. The beach was gorgeous, and we were able to walk to other resorts to meet up with our friends.
Sunscape, PLEASE give a big thank you to your following workers: Simon (Bartender), Jose (Bartender), Mike "Cash Machine" (Entertainment Crew). These three MADE our vacation incredible. They were so personable and fun, we loved seeing them on a daily basis because the service was IMPECCABLE. We felt like family to these three by the end of our trip.
Entertainment could be better throughout the day. I'm okay with relaxing but my boyfriend is very active and was disappointed there were not more activities. The dancing at night was great but I feel they need to switch up shows a bit more so it's less watching people dance and more participating. With that said, we were always entertained!
PS, find the drinks you like best and tip your bartenders. They will have that drink ready for you before you even have the chance to order if they see you coming.
I could go on and on about this resort...I had an amazing time. We would go back without thinking twice. As mentioned above, Sunscape, if you give your workers a bonus for being mentioned, Simon, Jose and Mike deserve this. They really stood for excellent service and for making the most out of our vacation.

Thank you Sunscape, it was a birthday and first vacation I'll never forget!

Room tip: If you like quiet and don't mind the walk, ask for a building in the back. Pool view rooms are gorgeous but you get the brunt of noise.
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank theresagannon8
SunscapePuertoP, eConcierge at Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2018

Dear guest,

On behalf of our hotel management and the whole team, we would like to thank you for choosing one more time our hotel Sunscape Puerto Plata for your well-deserved vacation and highlight your beautiful experience on TripAdvisor.

It is wonderful to read your comments about your recent stay in our hotel, there is nothing better than being able to meet the expectations of our guests.

We are honored to be selected by you. That shows us that we are doing an excellent job and the effort that each of our staff members do is incredible and make you have an unforgettable holiday in our magnificent property.

Do not hesitate to come back soon,

Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

We loved this resort. It was a last minute booking. We stayed in the adults only side. I would however tell management that they should have some sort of bracelet system as we had people that just wanted to get the upgraded liquor. They got very loud and obnoxious.

The rooms are a little dated but large and comfortable. I used the balcony to read a few times and it was lovely.

You definitely would not go hungry here as their is a wide variety of food. I would recommend any of the restaurants and the buffet to.

The beach was perfect. Since we were in the adults side their is a separate area on the beach. Again having bracelets would make it much easier for security to ask people to leave.

Overall I think this is a really nice resort and are planning to return next year.

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank SFB1234
SunscapePuertoP, eConcierge at Sunscape Puerto Plata Dominican Republic, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Dear SFB1234,

Thank you for choosing Sunscape Puerto Plata for your holidays.

You cannot imagine how proud we are for receive your wonderful review regarding your experience with us. Thank you so much for sharing your positive thoughts about us.

We are conscious that is a big challenge to please everyone, but we are doing all sorts of efforts to make it possible. Surely, your comment will help other travelers to clarify their doubts as regards the services and accommodation that we are offering.

Once again, thank you very much and we are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 14 March 2018

We upgraded to the Sun club and was treated like royalty. We were in room 3-102 starting March 2. Juan at the bar made the best drinks in the place. He was wonderful!!! The staff at the Asian restaurant were the absolute best. I asked for unsweet tea which they don't have. in a few minutes Endania (sp?) had some made fresh and remembered it the next trip. The older gentleman at the same place had an appletini (well 2) made especially for me as it was not a usual drink. Food in all the restaurants was excellent. Carman and the other young lady at the coffee shop were such fun! They knew our order after the first day. The little desserts there are the absolute best! Miguel who waited on us at the Apple dinner was excellent. Such a great staff - didn't get all the names. The gentleman with the orange shorts and knee brace was so friendly and spoke each time we saw him. Highly recommend upgrading as just having the reservations instead of standing in line was worth it. A different snack served in our room every night was such a treat. Our maids were very nice and did an awesome job. Didn't like all the stairs as have a knee problem but they do have a stair lift that i could have used had I not been so stubborn. Beach was very nice. Only one cabana but the trees gave me plenty of shade. The little snack food at the Sun club were very good also. The concierges were especially helpful and did such a great job. The only thing I didn't like was the "special" check - in. Upstairs and a little disorganized but I think they were training people. Would rather use the regular check in OR just a little more organized. We loved this place so much that we are coming back with our son and grandson in June! This is the 14th trip with Apple - usually at a Dreams. Was a little skeptical about using a Sunscape but was very pleasantly pleased. The entire property was spic and span, pools were sparkling clean and each person that worked there were absolutely wonderful - Ricardo you should be commended! Pool tables and other games for the kids and teens. Rooms were very comfortable and had everything we needed. Can't wait for our second trip in June.

Room tip: Get a room on the first floor if you have issues with steps. All the rooms we saw in the Sun club looked nice.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rav4Mom55

Dear Rav4Mom55,

Thank you for choosing Sunscape Puerto Plata Resort & Spa for your recent vacation.
And thank you for your nice comments, it is a pleasure for us to know you spent a grateful experience here.

We will let our staff know about your compliments.
It's good to know you liked the hotel and services, thank you very much.

Reviewed 14 March 2018

we were there from March 5th to 12th, 2018. The buffet was very good, at the door you get the best welcome by Happy, Brenda she is always smiling and dancing...:)

if you make it to the steakhouse, you will meet the friendly Francisco, he is very good and help you get around the city with great tips.

we were client at the sun club, Johaira Jaquez was very helpful to get us settle in our new setting, also there you will find Ramon, there is no secret to any drink with Ramon he could make every drink in the book and he could make look and taste as good as should be.
One of our agent from Air Transat was Raimundo...nobody better for the job then him, always smiling, French, English or Spanich...it does not matter he could do it all, very nice to have him around. His partner on the resort was an employee of the hotel his great smile had us wanting to know him better, his name is Starling, great guy who can help you with anything around the lobby or the resort, very helpful.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Mario A

Dear Mario A,

It is nice to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for sharing your experience with others and we look forward to serving again very soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

We returned a few days ago after spending 10 great days in the sun. Our room as requested was close to the beach, updated and the size of a small condo. The grounds were always clean, the restaurants and food were good (didn't like waiting for a table at most of the venues), staff were friendly and accommodating, pool was crowded and sometimes took a while to get chairs and the beach was clean. This was our second time at this resort and we enjoyed it as much as the first. We upgraded to the Sun Club and had an issue on the lack of monitoring of the Sun Club amenities. We expressed our concerns about this issue and were assured it was being addresses. We plan on re-booking and up grading again but only if the monitoring problem is fixed (no wrist bands).

Room tip: Close to the beach- Building 14
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Rsqr12

Dear Rsqr12,

It was a delight to host you, we are happy to confirm that you had such a relaxing experience overall.

It's good to know you liked the hotel and services.
We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.