3 people are viewing this hotel
US$140
View deal
Reserve now, pay at stay
US$140
SAVE US$151
Hotels.comUS$140
FindHotelUS$88
Official HotelUS$234
All reviews bedroom villa mambo beach grocery store private pool all inclusive package rented a car full kitchen hotel management beautiful island week stay family vacation dive shop beach chairs shuttle curacao resort madero
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 July 2020 via mobile

I came to Curaçao with a group of people for work. We spent the first 2 weeks of our 6 week trip at the Acoya resort and stayed in the villas. It was a wonderful place to stay. The villas are great because they are basically homes with living rooms, kitchens, and your own private swimming pool. We had most of our meals at the resort and for the most part they were pretty good. The staff were very helpful and accommodating. Sunil brought us all of our meals and was very friendly. The manager in particular was wonderful and constantly checked on us. I highly recommend this resort. Great for families with kids. They also do a great job with social distancing and keeping everyone safe.

Date of stay: June 2020
Trip type: Travelled on business
Xandra van Hutten, General Manager at ACOYA Curacao Resort, Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2020

Dear Travel766087,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write your review. It was our pleasure to host you and the whole group during your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you all back to our Resort.

Reviewed 30 June 2020

The staff was very nice and the food was absolutely delicious, on time and very pleasant experience overall. Totally recommend it. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Very close to the city but still very quiet and peaceful.

Date of stay: June 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Xandra van Hutten, General Manager at ACOYA Curacao Resort, Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2020

Dear Hillary,

Thank you very much for taking the time to fill in your review.
It was a pleasure having you at our Resort & we look forward in welcoming you back to our Resort.

Reviewed 29 May 2020 via mobile

We were four friends being forced to stay at this hotel by government health authorities before flying out on May 19. There were the same styrofoam boxed «prison style meal» with plastic cutlery, water/softdrink for all. No choice. No greens or tasty/healthy options. It is simply beyond belief that a seemingly nice resort like this are even capable of making such crap food for its guests! And creating all this plastic waste in the process. The photos of dinner, breakfast and lunch speak for themselves! We had to wear face masks everywhere, including when eating. While none of the staff did. What about the risk of them giving us the virus!!? Thank God we only had to stay one night.

Date of stay: May 2020
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Management response:Responded 30 June 2020

Dear Severinsen & friends,

We thank you for taking the time to review our property. First of all our sincere apologize for not meeting your expectations during your stay in May during the Corona quarantine, we truly value the opinions of our customers. Thanks to your review we where able to adjust our Food & Beverage presentation following the Covid 19 rules & regulations.
If you come back to our Resort I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you directly, so please ask for me. We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Xandra van Hutten

Reviewed 1 April 2020

This is a long review, but there is so much that I want to tell you about the Acoya!!! We just returned from our first trip at the Acoya. It will NOT be our last. We cannot sing loudly enough our praises for this property.

It was NOT a PERFECT experience, but somehow it ranks among our favorite. We are accustomed to staying in high end properties. We’ve stayed in the Penthouse at the Bellagio in Las Vegas, we’ve stayed at numerous Ritz Carltons (St. Thomas, San Francisco, Washington, DC, Phoenix, AZ) as well as at the St. Regis Hotel in San Francisco. If you are looking for a special experience, please don’t miss the Acoya. It might not be as fancy as some places, but the hospitality we received was top notch.

The Acoya has an open-air lobby. We were greeted cordially and offered a refreshing beverage of kiwi and lemon juice. Very tasty and festive. Lovely way to begin our vacation. Everyone at the front desk was courteous and professional. Each member of the staff speaks multiple languages, making all visitors feel comfortable immediately. We had some issues with our room upon checking in, and each issue was handled with a smile and resolved to our satisfaction.

If you are considering the Acoya, go onto the website, and send them an email about “high tea”. It’s one of my favorite experiences, and I had seen on the website that they were offering a high tea on Sunday. Unfortunately, they had not had enough interest and were forced to cancel. I recommend that if you have any interest in doing this, which I imagine will be lovely, please let them know prior to your trip so that they can gauge interest and perhaps hold this tea in the future. Note to Acoya – please advertise this more!!! I’d love to do it next time we come to visit!

We were on the all-inclusive package, which I HIGHLY recommend. There are two levels of this package. As we booked through Interval International, we had no choice but to get the premium package. We had some concerns as the trip approached, but upon arrival were PLEASANTLY surprised. There was a bottle of pinot noir in ice on table to greet us, which I thought was a nice touch.

Our first drinks from the bar were rather weak, but after asking the bartender to make them stronger, we were not disappointed. Not only did the bartenders oblige, but they went out of their way to make the drinks tasty and attractive, adding garnishes and blue or green curacao to spice things up.

The FOOD: All of our meals were VERY good. We really prefer QUALITY over QUANTITY and had reservations about being “stuck” at one place for the entire week. We were DELIGHTED to find that the quality of the food at the Acoya was first rate. From the first night at the BBQ, where I had what I think was the most tender chicken that I’d ever had, through the lovely lunch in the afternoon where we had filet mignon – where do you go where you can have filet mignon for LUNCH?

My husband had what he called “THE best lasagna he’s ever had in his life” at La Lagoon Trattoria. We had a wonderful variety – everything from wonderful steaks to lasagna to shrimp and pork. We had concerns about the “Beach Buffet” because I have an allergy to bell peppers, and many of the foods served at the Acoya had peppers in them. When I inquired on Thursday about a dinner different from the buffet because of my issue with the peppers, I was informed that the kitchen was aware of my allergy, and had made special arrangements to eliminate peppers from most of the meals to accommodate me. Upon arrival at dinner I found this to be true with many options of meat, several salads, the tastiest saffron rice and yummy roasted potatoes. There were only two dishes that had peppers in them! Honestly, I really felt that the Acoya paid attention to the needs of its guests. Not to mention that the rum cake for dessert was the most wonderful I’ve ever had. It wasn’t just a “Bundt cake with rum”. It was more of a tiramisu, with creamy layers, and fluffy cake layers and the wonderful “juice” of the rum. I was also delighted with the actual tiramisu at La Lagoon Trattoria.

Our meals at the Lakeside Grill were equally good. My husband had a lovely seafood bisque, while I enjoyed the shrimp cocktail. VERY nice. Great presentation and tasty. We had dinner there several nights – the pork chop, ribs, ribeye and filet mignon all excellent.

Breakfast consisted of four “buffets”. Each one had about eight foods on it – for example, one had the bacon, eggs, sausage, etc. on it. The other had the pancakes, French toast, Johnny cakes, etc. on it. The third had fruit – lovely fresh fruit. They had cantaloupe and honeydew and watermelon, and pineapple and grapes and strawberries. It was so good. And it wasn’t “genetically modified”. The watermelon had SEEDS!!! Rofl. It was RED and sooooo good!!!! The last “buffet” had more of a traditional European breakfast with cold cuts/cheeses.

My favorite was the croissant. OMG. They made them fresh every day in several batches, so if you timed it right you would get them hot out of the oven. They were as good as any you'd get in Paris. Breakfast was served until 10:30 each day, and unlike most places we’ve been to, they didn’t stop filling the buffet UNTIL 10:30 – really more like 10:35-10:40. And they actually came to our table and ASKED US if there was anything more we wanted for breakfast before they closed down the buffet.

We planned this trip for my husband’s birthday. Of course, there HAD to be a “kerfluffle” with breakfast that day! When we got there, we found no bread! My husband has the same breakfast every day on vacation – two fried eggs, bacon and toast. With no bread, you can’t dip into your dippy eggs!!!! I pulled Yvette over to the side and told her that unlike most people, my husband doesn’t deviate from his breakfast routine, and asked if there were anything she could do. She explained that they were out of bread and were expecting a shipment “soon”. I was clearly disappointed, but what could anyone do? Imagine my delight when 10 minutes later she had a loaf of bread and was putting it on the buffet. I don’t know where she scrounged it up from, but I really thought it was sweet of her. The staff at the Acoya go above and beyond to accommodate their guests.

Throughout the day they offer a “snacks” menu. As an American, I think of chips and nuts as a snack. But these folks are SERIOUS. Included on the “snacks” menu were burgers, loaded nachos, fried fish and pizzas. We had the margherita pizza early on, and were so addicted that we had it several more days for lunch.

In addition to the wonderful food, every dinner included LIVE entertainment, and each performer was wonderful. Two nights we had the pleasure of a father/son team who sang so many of the really cool “old” songs that Frank Sinatra/Michael Bublé perform, sprinkled with many of the old tunes of Elvis Presley. Even though they played “old” music, they put a decidedly modern twist on them, and it was just so elegant, classy and wonderful. Just really COOL music. Other entertainment included a woman playing the saxophone, a gentleman playing the trumpet, and a group of men who serenaded us with guitar, mandolin and flute – singing folk songs and opera. It was so special.

Shuttles – the Acoya provides three shuttles for their guests, one to the grocery store, one to the nearby town of Punda, and one to the Madero Beach Club where you can find Mambo beach. You can spend the entire time without a car if you really want rest and relaxation. Or you can rent a car through the front desk for a day or two to explore the island on your own.

We took the shuttle to the grocery store and had plenty of time to purchase our groceries. We had the all-inclusive package, but there were a few “essentials” that we want for personal reasons, like pro-biotic drinks, etc. We found the grocery store they took us to to be relatively modern, with many choices. All of the items we wanted were available in that grocery store.

There is a shuttle to the town of Punda, which we highly recommend. The town is lovely, with many shops to explore, and multiple restaurants to enjoy. There are plenty of photo ops so take your cameras and enjoy your day in Punda. Don’t miss it.

The last shuttle takes Acoya guests to the Madero Beach club. This gives guests the opportunity to be ON the beach. We understood that since Acoya isn’t a property ON the beach, they want to give their guests an opportunity to enjoy the ocean, however, we would recommend that you skip this activity. Unfortunately, it really is a tourist trap and very commercial. Your better bet is to spend most of your time AT the Acoya, enjoying their hospitality. We found that no matter what time of day we wanted to enjoy the pool, we were able to find open beach chairs, either in the sun or in the shade. That, in and of itself is worth the price of admission to me! (side note: I just find it rude for folks to put their stuff on chairs early in the morning and never come back to use the chairs. This did NOT happen at the Acoya!)

Pick a day during the week and go to the front desk of the Acoya and speak with guest services. They can arrange for you to rent a car for a day or two, and you can drive around the island and visit different beaches to get the real experience. Take your snorkel gear and explore. You will enjoy it much more than the over commercial experience you’ll get at the Madero Beach Club.

The staff: Where do I begin? Perhaps with Yvette. OMG, we LOVED her!!! She was so delightful!!!! I asked for a mimosa on the first morning, and each day after that she saw us arrive and gave me the nod, and I had a mimosa waiting on my table when my plate was filled. She was friendly and so lovely in sharing her knowledge of the island with us. We asked her where we should go to enjoy the island and she gave us a ton of suggestions. Thanks to Yvette we had a very special adventure on Curacao.

Yvette was not the only lovely person tending to us at Acoya. We had a lovely chat with Mildred about languages while dining at the Lakeside Grill. It is so fascinating to me that people can speak so many languages. She explained that she and that her husband speak multiple languages in their home. She was so patient with me as I practiced my fumbled Spanish. Early in the trip, I met Elvis, the bartender. He took good care of me! Elvis made sure our drinks were strong enough and even flirted a little! (totally the “right” amount!!!) I’m almost sixty and he made me feel so young! I told him that I never had Drambuie and that I was going to come to him the next day and ask for a drink with it, but I wanted to give him some time to think of something fun to do with it. He gave me a taste right there! He poured just sip in a glass for me to taste. It was good – but surprising. For some reason, I thought it was a liquor like amaretto, but it’s more like a whiskey. It was WARM going down. It’s definitely a drink you sip. You learn something new every day!

I also need to send a shout out to Brian, our waiter at the Lakeside Grill. Unfortunately for all of us, Brian worked his last day at Acoya while we were there. I’m sure management appreciates his hard work during his tenure at the resort and they will find it difficult to locate someone equally skilled at meeting guests’ needs. Brian’s service during our meals was at the level of the highest, most expensive restaurants we’ve frequented. He handles all issues with the utmost ease. I know the Acoya is sad to lose him, and I won’t be surprised to run into him some day at his own establishment in some swanky location.

My ONLY suggestion to management is that the hotel should find a way to allocate the funds to purchase new UNIFORM pool towels. Pretty much the only thing that marred our experience was the fact that the pool towels appeared to have been towels that the staff cobbled together from their own personal stores. I know it’s an expense, but it is a onetime purchase and would go a long way to giving your guests a more professional experience.

The bottom line – the Acoya is NOT the “fanciest” resort, but it DOES TREAT ITS GUESTS LIKE ROYALTY. If you are looking for somewhere to be treated well, to eat well, and to relax and get away, please consider booking at the Acoya for your next getaway.

Room tip: Property small enough that any room is equally nice. Our room 2202 had a set of stairs outside that led to the pool. Very convenient.
Date of stay: March 2020
1  Thank AnnMM26
Evgeny Vreijling, General Manager at ACOYA Curacao Resort, Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2020

Dear AnnMM26,

Very nice to read your detailed and extensive review. I won't go into everything because then the answer will be very long :) but WOW, we are very happy to read this.
Our team tries to take care of the best for our guests every day and in every possible way to make their stay unforgettable (sometimes with a little flirting:) ).
I will pass on the compliments to the entire team and I am sure they will be very happy!
We hope to see you again soon on Curacao and at ACOYA.

Reviewed 30 March 2020

Prior to arriving I had been suffering from severe eczema. Elisabeth Hendricks who is the Tours & Activities Operator contacted her dermatologist and got me an appointment the same day! She also followed up with me to make sure I was ok. I absolutely LOVE their genuine compassion. The Acoya staff truly made us feel like family.
One more thing: Anaisa (hope I spelled her name correctly) upgraded us to a GORGEOUS room for FREE!! we had the biggest balcony overlooking the pool. The property, food, accommodations, and service surpassed our expectations. We love The Acoya & plan on coming back.

Date of stay: March 2020

Dear A9515NUlindal,

thanks for the super review. I am very happy to read that our team has taken such good care of you and will pass on the compliments to the staff. Lovely that you have appreciated the room so much, perhaps on your next visit a beautiful villa with private pool?
We hope to see you at ACOYA and on Curacao!