All reviews front desk grocery store illy coffee machine infinity pool hotel room small supermarket beach towels jan thiel the air conditioning reception area enjoyed our stay garden view beautiful property car rental stayed days restaurants bars oceanfront room
Reviewed 19 April 2017

The area was beautiful. NOT centrally located. Had to take either a bus or taxi to go to the city of Willemstad. We were supposed to have an Ocean View room. Ultimately the view was ocean if you looked around the building next to us. The walk to either the pool or beach was about 100 yards downhill. You cannot exchange money dollars to guilders UNLESS you have your passport with you. We made copies of our passports and had them with us. Bank would not allow exchange.

Room Tip: The rooms are large and roomy with a veranda. Be very specific in choosing your room location.
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
PapagayoCuracao, Team Papagayo at Papagayo Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2017

Dear Ralph,

Many thanks for your review of Papagayo Beach Hotel and we hope you had a great stay with us. There isn't much we can do regarding banking policies, but we are more than happy to make your stay as pleasurable as possible.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you visit Curacao again! If we can be of any service please do not hesitate to contact us (reservations@papagayo.com).

Warm regards,

Reviewed 8 April 2017

The room looks nice from the photos but they were apparently taken when the hotel first opened. The hotel needs a refresh. The rooms are tired, the towels stained and my room was dusty. There is zero service.

A plasticized fabric bag was handed to me when I checked in at the front desk. It looks thoughtful but it isn’t. It contained my beach towel which I was required to bring each day to the front desk to have it refreshed. Failure to return the towel meant a $25 charge would be assessed to my room bill even if the towel was left in my room. The hotel apparently views towel usage as a revenue stream.

My room was on the third floor with no elevators and no one told me. The stairs are wet and no one mops them. Getting to my room meant trudging through puddles of dirty water.

The building numbers have no correlation to the room numbers. My building was number 3 but my room began with a 2. This makes no sense.

The beach was unattended and a mess. There was a security guard but that was it.

There are no amenities including slippers, robes or water in the room. The pillows are lumpy and the bed is hard as a rock and I mean HARD.

Upon check-out, I needed a taxi to the airport. I was told it had to be billed to the room or they would not call for a regular taxi. They finally relented. My $100 “hold” on my credit card is still pending on my credit card despite my checking out over a week ago.

The hotel seemed desperate for revenue. This hotel takes “nickel and diming" to a new level and fails to deliver what it promises. It is not even close to a 4 star hotel. I would not recommend this property.

Room Tip: Ground Floor
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Intrepidtraveler53
Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 weeks. Comfortable, modern rooms, ours had a wonderful view of the ocean, magnificent sunsets. Clean with everything we needed. Close to the grocery store so we could purchase breakfast and lunch foods to store in our mini fridge for when we didn't want to restaurant out. Always enough loungers at the beach, several accesses to the ocean for awesome snorkelling. The large infinity pool was nice, just wished they cleaned the algae off the walls more than once weekly. There was a bit of a funky odour near the lap pool, but we didn't sit in that area so no problem for us. Many restaurants within walking distance and a public bus stop close by to go to Willemstad. The front desk will give you a bus schedule if you want. Can also rent a car from the hotel.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sharon R

Dear Sharon,

Thank you for such a great review after a 2 week stay with us. We are glad to see that you enjoyed our facilities and services extensively.

The odour you referred to stems from a rain drainage pipe which was laid by DOW Curacao. Papagayo makes use of a septic tank and therefore no odours would stem from our facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back here with us, and advise you to contact us directly if we can be of any assistance.

Reviewed 30 March 2017

This is a very overrated place to stay. The hotel is far too expensive for what it offers you. Although the surroundings are beautiful, the rooms are sparsely decorated and the service , which service?, is not at all friendly. They apparently find guests a burden to have. Cleaning of the rooms is not at all adequate, the airco was leaking so bad that the water was dripping in the closets.
Again the view and the spot is beautiful, but there are far better hotels for this amount than the Papagayo.

Room Tip: ocean view
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank patricia h

Dear Patricia,

Thank you for sharing your experiences on this platform and we hope you were able to enjoy the surroundings and the view during your stay.

We will take your suggestions for improvement into consideration as we always want our guests to have an enjoyable stay.

We also provide our guests with guidelines on how to make use of the air-conditioning properly to prevent excess humidity.

If we can be of service to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Reviewed 25 March 2017 via mobile

Plus:
Good / high quality resort. Very spacious room and balcony. Modern style. Spacious and clean bathroom. Illy coffee machine in room. Good wifi. Staff was friendly and helpful.

Good to know:
Small /narrow man-made beaches adorned with a nice variety of restaurants and bars, only of which 3 belong to hotel. So you can't use hotel room for payment.

Room for improvement:
No more pads for Illy coffee maker, since local supplier went bankrupt. Management had no proper solution for this, but offering powder instant coffee. Bed mattress was too soft, would have preferred much firmer. You want get up relaxed and rested, not with a sore back. Balcony had only 2 chairs and small table.
Clean towel return service : policy sometimes a bit cumbersome, but in the end staff acted often quite relaxed about it.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Jeroen,

Many thanks for your review and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate the suggestions you mentioned as well.

We look forward to welcoming you back with us so please don't hesitate to contact us directly if we can be of any assistance.