“I would do it AGAIN and AGAIN!!!”

Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club
Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Willemstad
Reviewed 27 September 2017

Stayed at the Floris for a week and being a beach bum, this was the perfect location. The beach water is breathtaking, and great for swimming and floating. I travel a lot but this trip was hands down. I truly appreciated waking up and going on my balcony for my tea to the beautiful sounds of birds chirping in the morning and not loud music and train passing in NYC. The staff provided such a calm and comfortable atmosphere. I MUST SAY I had the most wonderful, relaxing time at the Floris Suites and Moomba Beach Club. All the staff were so friendly and welcoming. I enjoyed my time with SANCHA at the pool bar, GINO, NORMAN and ANDRE at the MOOMBA BEACH CLUB.  It was amazing. They really spoiled me and made life DUSHI at the beach. I would really do it again

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet no disturbance
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Marlous M, Public Relations Manager at Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Dear Alima,

Thank you for your nice review. We always do our best to make your stay as comfortable as possible. We like to hear you loved our relaxing atmosphere and our staff. Moomba is our private beach and there is also a bar and a restaurant.

We hope to see you soon in Floris Suite Hotel.

Reviewed 26 September 2017

I stayed at Floris Suites for a five night stay in Curaçao. Overall, I had a very lovely experience at this hotel. The setting is wonderfully private and feels almost liked you are tucked away in a jungle treehouse. The common areas and pool are well kept which I imagine is a challenge in a humid environment full of foliage. The best part by far was the lovely staff. The airline lost my luggage upon arrival, and the staff at Floris Suites made all sorts of calls to ensure my suitcase was delivered to the hotel as soon as it made it to the island. I didn't eat at the restaurant, but everything looked tasty (although expensive). I did utilize the fitness center. It is small but adequately supplied for a quick workout. The hotel location is nice as well. Piscadera Bay is just outside of the chaos and hustle of Willemstad but is a quick taxi or shuttle ride to get there. I used the 9 am shuttle to get into the city. I do believe the hotel would benefit from one more additional shuttle time since the return trip is not until 4 pm which is a long day in the Curaçao heat. The only thing I would have changed about my stay is that I would have upgraded to a room on a higher floor. Mine was on the ground level so it felt a little damp and dark. Also, the prices are the 'Convenience Store' were completely absurd. A travel sized shampoo was being sold for $9 (and I'm not exaggerating). Overall, Floris Suites is a perfect spot for a low key, quiet environment to recharge.

Room Tip: Select a room that is on a higher floor
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo

Dear sjk52,

Thank you for your review. It’s great to hear you had a very lovely experience in our hotel. We are happy that your suitcase was delivered back to the hotel. Our staff is always doing their best to make your stay as comfortable as possible and to help you the best way they can.

Our fitness center has indeed everything you need for a quick workout. All groceries are more expensive on the island because everything needs to be imported. You can always go to a bigger convenience store for your groceries. Since they have a bigger assortment and customers it is most likely cheaper than the smaller stores.

We hope to see you in return!

Reviewed 18 September 2017

Floris Suite Hotel is simply beautiful. The main building, incorporating the reception, upper bar and lower restaurant is stunning. Set in a tropical jungle, it is very well maintained and the gardens are lush and glorious. Be aware that consequently, mosquitoes abound, but whatelse do you expect. Take or buy some spray for the room and some jungle formula for yourself and you should keep the worst of them at bay. The room (we had a royal suite) was by far the biggest hotel suite I have ever seen. In an entrance vestibule were four wardrobes, one of which housed the safe. Its a pity that four wardrobes only contained 7 coathangers between them! There was however an iron, although we didn't need to use it.
Passing through the vestibule you enter the bedroom. Large and cool thanks to the first of two airco units. Although simply furnished, it had an enormous bed, large tv with multiple english speaking channels and sufficient sockets to charge the inevitable plethora of electrical necessities that all need charging. Do take the appropriate adaptors if your travelling from Europe. On the plus side, the maid service was great. They seemed to change the beddng almost daily and kept the place clean and tidy.
The toilet was smallish, but provided everything you need, including an endless supply of hot water, fresh towels daily and free toiletries - oh, and a hairdryer.
Glazed doors separate the bedroom from the kitchenette, dining area and livingroom. This combined area was enormous and contained the second airco unit and another tv.
The fridge freezer was huge and very effective, but the cooker rings never heated up sufficiently to do anything. I tried to boil water in a pot (there isn't a kettle) and gave up after two and a half hours? Seriously, 150 minutes and I could have washed my hands in the water without scalding myself. Fear not, just boil a cup of water in the microwave. The kitchenette also has a dishwasher! A nice touch I hear you cry. Yes we thought. You can imagine our surprise and dismay as to why it should have one when we only had one plate and one bowl. Dispite requesting more crockery on day 2, it never materialised, not that we were downhearted since the cooker precluded cooking anyway.
Yes we had unwelcome visitors, in the form of a few cockroaches, but what do you expect in a tropical climate. They don't take well to the sole of a flip flop hitting them at great speed. Word must have spread, 'cos we weren't bothered again after that.
At the back of the livingroom is a patio with table and chairs. Ours was a garden view and some very impressive plants to be seen, most of which harboured a variety of beautful wild birds and the occasional wild/hotel cat.
Each evening, between 5 and 6, its happy hour where you can enjoy nibbles and two free drinks.
Although the pool is in need of refurbishment, it is very well laid out and kept remarkably clear of fallen foliage - quite impressive given it surrounded by a tropical jungle.
The restaurant is open air and very clean. The food is very good, but the menu somewhat limited. Fine if you are there for a long weekend or a short week, but repetitive if you are staying for two weeks.
Our biggest gripe was the staff - and I'm being quite general here. The guys who worked the pool bar, one of the receptionists and a lovely waitress in the restaurant were keen, enthusiastic and helpful. They smiled. They demonstrated a "service" mindset. They were in the minority. The rest of the staff exuded an air of "couldn't be bothered". Frequently they would take an enquiry or drinks order and then just walk away to do something else, with no acknowledgement that your needs were even being considered let alone acted upon. I do find it quite rude when they turn their attention to somethign else whilst dealing with you, don't smile and generally give the impression that they would rather be somewhere else, doing anything other than dealing with customers. However, this was not unique to Floris Suite Hotel. It was commonplace across the island, like the majority of workers in shops, bars and other forward facing service industries hadn't yet grasped the concept of providing a service ( at least a good one). Most of the staff wore t-shirt with the words "Let me spoil you" emblazoned across the chest. We reckoned it should have read "Let me spoil your day". Sad but true.
Would I recommend the hotel? - yes. Aside from the staff shortcomings, it is a stunning hotel and great value for money. Would I go back? - no. It's back to Aruba for us where the "one happy island" slogan pervades everyday culture and the service is second to none.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gordon B
Marlous M, Public Relations Manager at Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Dear Gordon,

Thank you for your extensive review. We are very glad to hear about your nice stay in our beautifull large suites. We are happy you enjoyed the housekeeping and the two airco’s. The garden has indeed impressive plants and a lot of beautiful wild birds so you can relax in a tropical area. It is nice to hear you enjoyed the two free drinks at the happy hour every day.

We're sorry that there was an unpleasant experience with the staff. We are doing our best to please all our guests.

We hope to see you soon at Floris Suite Hotel.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

I will start off by letting you all know that we rented a car while in Curacao so we were rarely at the hotel from the moment we arrived. I can't review every detail (especially restaurant and bar) as we did not eat or drink here. We left out early, got back to shower and get dressed, then went out every night except the last night when the car was picked up.

Pros
1. Very friendly staff! All of them really attentive and helpful. The male who does the transfers in the golf cart was also quite helpful and friendly and great to have conversations with (bon bon, dushi dushi haha). It was pretty late on our last night and his shift was over but he still walked us to Hilton and helped us find a restaurant there to eat. Also staff helped us find excursions/events etc.

2. Clean, beautiful grounds, surrounded by tons of nature (many trees)

3. Spa! Very clean and relaxing. Please note, the spa is males only after 6pm for whatever reason. Pool, not amazing but clean and still a pretty pool area to sit and relax.

Cons
1. Wifi, although wifi is free throughout hotel (including rooms) it was very slow and unreliable in our room until it just stopped working for the entire last 5 days we were there. We were only able to enjoy wifi in our room for 2 days. If we did not have a car, I would complain a lot more. They just kept telling us it's being worked on. I feel they could have provided something for the inconvenience, it is annoying having to walk to the lobby just to plan our days (included our routes and excursion addresses). They lost stars for this and how they dealt with it.

2. Entertainment. Besides their daily happy hour at 5pm, there was no entertainment provided, very boring. They offer 2 complimentary drinks at happy hour but we were never at the hotel at that time so we missed it. I thought they could have still offered us our free drinks due to our wifi not working, that would have been a nice gesture. Our last night when the car was returned we couldn't find anything at the hotel to do, just sitting around in the lobby getting eaten by mosquitos lol.

3. The room, well just the smell. They smell was horrible. We bought air fresheners at the grocery store, but it didn't help much. It may have to do with the plumbing because the smell from the bathroom was worst.

I just want to touch on someone saying their car was broken into in their review, just a note, almost everywhere we went in Curacao warned us about locking our car or not leaving valuables inside. I think they have a serious problem with theft (although we didn't have that experience) but be careful. The hotel also has signs saying "park at your own risk" and staff warned us to be careful. I mean, at that point, it's your responsibility.

Room Tip: I say choose the higher floors
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Marlous M, Public Relations Manager at Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Dear Original Miss Tee,

Thank you for your extensive review. It is nice to hear your enjoyed our spa and our beautiful grounds. Our staff is always there to help you as best they can.
We are very sorry the Wi-Fi didn’t work in the last days. We had indeed some technical difficulties that took a while to resolve. If we knew you didn’t go to the happy hour and we could make you happy with a drink outside this timeframe we would be more than happy to provide you with your favourite drink. You owe this one from us next time!

We have the Rainbow lounge at Fridays and there is a Happy Hour every day! It is very unfortunate that we didn’t hear about the smell in the bathroom. When there is a problem with your room you can always inform the reception. They shall ensure that the problem will be solved. Unfortunately, we can’t do anything about it after your stay.

We hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

The staff are great - they truly try to make your stay better. We stayed in a 1 bedroom with a pool view - very worth the upgrade. We did cook in several meals - note everything is expensive here. The are 2 beach clubs a short 5 minutes walk away - but they will also drop and pick you up with a golf cart. We used the golf cart the first day to get our bearings. Highly recommended renting a car - since there isn't much within walking distance.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marlene M
Marlous M, Public Relations Manager at Floris Suite Hotel - Spa & Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Dear Marlene,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. We are very happy to hear our staff made you feel very welcome. Island prices are indeed more expensive than you are used to, because everything has to be imported. I recommend everybody to rent a car if you want to explore the island. Curacao has amazing spots and by car you can visit these treasures much easier.

We hope to see you soon!