My husband and I stayed at this resort from May 5th-12th 2012. We have vacationed many times in the Caribbean including Mexico, Domincian Republic and Jamaica and decided to give Cuba a try. Since we were celebrating our anniversary I contacted the resort prior to departure. They upgraded our room to a bungalow suite and had chocolates and champagne in the room upon our arrival. Although our room was very spacious and clean the decor and amenities were definitely not at a 5 star standard compared to other resorts we have stayed at.
The ocean was beautiful. If you are not an early riser you can definitely find a nice spot on the beach in the afternoon. The pools were also very nice and clean. There are pool mats you can use at no charge. If you are used to service by the pool and beach do not expect it at this resort, however the bars are nearby!
For the most part we were disappointed in the friendliness of staff at the resort. We definitely tip well to those who provide friendly service however many staff did not seem to enjoy their jobs. In our observation we noticed guests who spoke Spanish received better service. There were however a few staff who left a positive impression...Rahul at the pool bar provided exceptional service. He was friendly, made lovely cocktails and was very sociable. Irmina also provided great service. The "show man" Julio always had a smile on his face and gave us a good laugh! Frankie, the entertainment assistant manager, was a pleasure to be around. Frankie went out of his way to make sure we were happy with all aspects of the resort. He was genuinely interested in us and shared lots of Cuban history with us. Anabel at the beach bar was also very happy to serve us.
My husband and I took at day trip into Havana and would definitely recommend making the trip there!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meliá Las Américas is the premier Golf Resort in Cuba and it is also the only one with direct access to The Varadero Golf Club. Located on The Varadero Peninsula, a tropical paradise jutting into the clear waters of the Caribbean on Cuba’s northern coats. Poised between the beach and championship golf course, the 5-star hotel is an upscale all inclusive adults only (over 18 years). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Melia, Booking.com and HotelsClick so you can book your Melia Las Americas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Las Americas Hotel Varadero
- Melia Hotel Varadero
- Melia Hotel Las Americas
- Melia Las Americas Varadero