3,607 results
All reviews coffee bar swim up bar free shuttle pasta fish fries beach restaurant main buffet tex mex pork entertainment staff recommend this resort other resorts beautiful beach the italian a la carte picky eater small resort
Reviewed 4 April 2017

I just returned from 2 weeks at Roc Arenas Doradas and I will give you the bad news first. You are only allowed 2 a la carte dinners per week...even though Sunwing doesn't mention that. The 2nd thing is that if you want coffee in your hotel room....you have to pay extra for that and it's not cheap. The coffee bar only opens at 7am so if you get up earlier and need some java...you're outta luck. OK now for the good stuff. Just like everyone else says, beach is gorgeous, people are very friendly, pool was fantastic, food is average and different than Canadian food...ex. I ordered a hamburger and got a ham burger instead of beef... you order a pork chop and you get pork filets. So if you're not picky about the differences you will find plenty of food to chow down on. The hotel rooms differ from one to the other. I was on the ground level and had no issues other than I saw 1 cockroach. My friend on the 2nd floor had multiple issues....he phone didn't work and they couldn't fix it, her patio door wouldn't lock, some of her lamps didn't work, her toilet broke 2 times, she saw multiple cockroaches and spiders, and her bathroom flooded after a rain storm. We were in Block 700's. So I think it varies from block to block. You have to remember that it is old and you are there to relax at the beach or by the pool and experience different foods and cultures and your only in your room for a short period of time. The entertainment staff didn't really do much during the day, a game or 2 by the pool and once a week an aquatic team performed a half hour long ballet show (very good). Then there were nightly shows which were all good except for the magic show...it was really lame. About excursions....we took the free shuttle into Varadero a few days and took taxi's home (cost 10 cuc). We were told by another couple who hired a local guy to take them to Havana for the day that it was better than the hotel excursions because he took you to wherever you wanted to go and got cheap great quality cigars and rum. So we hired him for the day. Big mistake. His name is Antonio. He charges 140.00 CUC for the day, takes you to some of the hot spots for pictures, but some he just drove by and so pictures through the car window. He did take us to get great cigars and rum but then he brought us to a fancy restaurant and said that we had to pay for his lunch which he didn't mention prior. Otherwise I would have said, hot dogs will do. Then 3/4 through the day he took us aside and said now people usually tip me 20 - 30 CUC per person and pay driver 140.00 CUC. So seeing as we wanted to see a couple of other places and get home safely, we tipped him 15 CUC each. I did tell him that we were planning to tip him at the end of the trip and that it was a little rude that he asked. His response was he didn't want the driver to see his tips. So a little scam happening there so beware. All in all, I had a great time and experienced wonderful things so I just wanted people to be aware of the meal plan, coffee in room situation and the private tour to Havana. Have fun and enjoy,.

Room Tip: Block 700 quiet,close to beach & pool. 1st fl better lighting
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
4  Thank lovesthesun101
Hotel_Arenas_Doradas, General Manager at Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2017

Dear clients, firstly, on behalf of all the Staff and in my own I want to thank your kind comments.

Thank you for the summary so complete you have given us of your vacation.
Personally I will check all your comments and I will touch these problems with my hand to give them an immediate solution.

Receive my apologies for the inconvenience.
I assure you that we will take the necessary measures so that this does not happen again.

Our maxim is to seek excellence in every service we perform and your words only fill us with the strength to remain your first choice.

On behalf of Roc Hotels and on my own we thank you for choosing us for your holidays.

Thanks for your comments make us improve day by day in the pursuit of excellence.

We hope you come back soon so that you can enjoy the improvements we are making and we can assist you personally.

Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

I booked this vacation back in January and friends of ours decided to do the same... I was the tour guild and made all the decisions.. I aced it !!! This resort was ran so professional every worker took pride in their job. They all treated us with so much respect (if we tipped or didn't)..To be honest we were generous but the smiles said it all made us feel good... Every where it is spotless! The employees we chatted to all been there for many years.That tells me its a good company. The beach was amazing, I was told that many of the resorts water down their drinks not here. The food was much better then I expected people warned us about cuban food. I felt very safe walking alone at night. There was some issues with our friends first room but got solved asap. The staff felt liked family and your english was very good !You made it my best vacation ever hugs to you all !!!!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dietarygal
Hotel_Arenas_Doradas, General Manager at Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2017

Reviewed 4 April 2017 via mobile

My husband and I (32 and 28) stayed here at the end of March with my parents. We did a ton of research before choosing Roc Arenas Dorados and settled on it because they had good reviews and people seemed happy with the food. We got in at 4 am and didn't get a room till 4 pm that day which would suck (especially for the people was saw with toddlers/kids ) but lucky for us my parents were already there so we crashed with them. It was nice being able to grab a couple drinks when we arrived and food at the 24 hour snack bar. My parents requested to be in the 600 block ( after seeing other reviews ) and not only did they move them they put us right across the hall which was amazing. The rooms weren't terrible but the beds could use an update especially the flat pillows. Towels were amazing I've stayed at several fancy hotels and never had towels so fluffy and soft.

People who complain about the food must be insanely picky eaters because I found it to be an amazing selection and could hardly decide what to eat each day and I've been to several all inclusives. All the different cheese they had every night was the greatest. Red wine was fantastic. People also complained about big line ups for the grills/omelette bar/coffee bar but the hotel was 100% booked to the point where they were sending people to their other hotel and not once did I have to wait that long for something.

We have no complaints about any of the staff really besides the ladies on the Mexican restaurant were just a bit to slow. The two ladies that were always at the front desk were amazing and most of the waiters in the buffet. House keeping was fantastic as well.

We enjoyed that it was a fairly quiet hotel even at full capacity. Would 100 % stay here again. I really love the people compared to Mexico. They staff were really kind and friendly and you don't get harassed in town when you're walking around to buy stuff.

We booked a taxi/tour guide for Havana and even though it was a nice experience and we saw lots we were pissed when Alberto took us to a tourist trap restaurant called El Guajirito. $200 for 4 of us and we were made to pay for him and the drivers food. Other people we met were brought there and only paid 18 CUC for their meal with two drinks, and appie and desert. We were brought appetizers we didn't order after the rude server suggest a tamale to my dad and she brought 5 plates of appetizers not one tamale. We had almost the exact same meal at this place in Varadero $50 for the 4 of us. The owner knew Alberto well and shrugged when my mom complained so they obviously get a huge cut. Other people had good experiences with different taxis so just watch out for a guy named Alberto. He also asked for a huge tip at the end saying that the 140 CUC goes to the driver and he only gets the tip.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Lyndsey C

DearLyndsey, firstly, on behalf of all the Staff and in my own I want to thank your kind comments.

Reviewed 4 April 2017

Travelled to cub many times, tried different resorts each time to try and experience different vacations. My wife and I Found this resort 2 years ago while traveling with 2 other couples and stayed there, enjoyed it that much we booked and stayed the end of April 2016 as well. 2nd time around the resort recognized we were repeat vacationers and gave us the same room, as well as a bottle of rum with a personal note thanking us for returning. we thought that was a nice personal touch and reinforced how we feel that the staff make you feel at home. Even some Bar staff remembered us, as well as one particular dinning room staff member who greeted us with hugs, and had a table reserved with a bottle of red wine for the 6 of us that evening....well this resort left such a lasting impression that we recently booked again this May 2017 for a 3rd time.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marlo D

Dear Marlo, firstly, on behalf of all the Staff and in my own I want to thank your kind comments.

Reviewed 3 April 2017

This was out 2nd time to Varadero. Just got back from there April 2, we were there for a week. The beach is amazing, also great for long walks! It's an older hotel, but most are there, but still fairly nice! We didn't care for our first room they put us in Block 10, we had requested block 6. It was not an updated room & the bed was in bad shape. The next morn we asked to be changed & they were awesome about it! Food was typical Cuban food, fish was so good & the Omelet bar. We did the International & Mexican ala Cartes, both were very good. Take bug spray, there seems to be mosquitos there, got a few bites.
Make sure you check out the Beatles bar in town, good for the young & old. About $10 pesos each way in a cab.
We booked a private classic car taxi to Havanna with Alberto ( had met him out front when he was picking up someone else), price was $140CUC which was fair for 4 of us. Tour was from 8am to 6pm 2 days later. He promised us a 55 Chevy but showed up in 56 Ford, ok no prob. He seemed very uninterested in showing us much or talking much, his excuse was he was tired. Mentioned to us for lunch that he had place to take us & reservations, we requested something inexpensive. He tried to tell us good price about $18CUC a person, we tried to say no. It cost the 4 of us $170CUC, we had the same meal less the appetizers in Varadero for $50 for 4 of us. They brought out $22CUC in appetizers, we thought it would a plate of to share. We also paid for the drivers meal which we did not expect. We wanted to use credit card, NOPE cash only. So that now left us little spending money. The owner of the restaurant came by to say hello, it was obvious that he knew Alberto. I complimented him on the food, it was very good but also let him know how unhappy we were about the price & all these appetizers that we did not really order. He just shrugged his shoulders.
At about 2:00 Alberto informed us that now the tour was over & for 20 min we could go on our own but first we were to pay him a tip. Min $10CUC a person. So now an extra $40 on top of the $140 tour price. We were back at our hotel by 4-430. What happened to our all day tour. Just a word of warning to people going there, be careful of who u use. He came across as very nice & charming until the day of the tour.
Other wise great trip, the Sea Catamaran is awesome to Cayo Blanco, didnt bother with the Dolphin one. If you want a decent mid level hotel that is clean & staff are great this is good!

Room Tip: 600 Block is updated rooms & close to beach & pool
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Lynette C
Hotel_Arenas_Doradas, General Manager at Hotel Roc Arenas Doradas, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2017

Dear Lynette, firstly, on behalf of all the Staff and in my own I want to thank your kind comments.