2,063 results
All reviews bring bug spray go with an open mind lots of hot water magic show paddle boats repeaters coconut bingo mug
Reviewed 22 September 2018

I didn't have overly high expectations before we arrived at the hotel as I knew we were staying in what had been pitched as a 3 star. As it doesn't have a website but is part of the Gran Caribe hotel group I was optimistic despite reading some bad reviews on here. However even with this in mind the hotel was a let down. It clearly has not been recently refurbished as we were told and it has been a long time since it was looked after. The hotel is very dirty, run down and moldy. This includes areas where people are eating. On arrival at the hotel I remarked to my friend that everyone looks miserable, staff and guests. The staff rarely have a smile and are overall fairly unhelpful and verging on rude (there are one or two exceptions). When check in time arrived we had to wait 40 minutes to get our bags back from the luggage room and to be shown our room (it would be challenging to find it using the signs or map). Outside our room looked run down but I still had hope that after we'd had a shower and got changed things would appear better. On entering our room we were met with the smell of damp and mold. The room had mold on the ceiling, walls and furniture. The duvet cover was wet to touch. The bathroom was also very dirty and flooded when the shower was used. The air conditioning unit sounded like a jet engine and would cut out at random times. We went for dinner to think about what to do as we'd already overheard reception telling another guest they could not move rooms. The dining room was also dirty and food hygiene was clearly not a priority or cross contamination. While there is more that could be said I think overall I felt the level of uncleanliness and mold affected by breathing and certainly did not feel like a place someone could relax in. This was disappointing after travelling so far and the money we had paid. Although like I've mentioned I did not expect more than a 3 star experience this barely makes 1 star. It is a shame given the history of the building and the potential of the resort. We ended up moving to another hotel. When the staff were informed of this they became even less pleasant than before and clearly thought we did not understand any Spanish. They charged us 20CUC for the safe which we did not get back and they also charge 2CUC for an internet card which is twice the cost of other hotels. Wifi works in the club house area. I would not recommend anyone stays at this hotel for the sake of your health and the disappointment it will bring in Varadero. This is the first wholly negative review I have ever written about a hotel or anywhere I have stayed including 2 star hostels and it is done with sadness as I really hoped to be one of the optimists referred to in other reviews.

Room tip: Try a room on an upper floor as it may have less mold
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
5  Thank Becky C
Reviewed 21 September 2018

My wife and i stayed Sept. 8-15 . It being our first stay we were unsure as to what to expect . The resort is older but well maintained , the food although not a large selection was very good , the staff for the most part were very friendly and attentive . As for our room , it was large , clean , our toilet worked , we had plenty of hot water and we also had a huge private rooftop terrace ( 1504 ) . The beach !!!! well it speaks for itself :-)
Kawama is located between a canal and the ocean , a lazy 10 min. walk and your in the midst of the shops and clubs of downtown Varadero . Being in town we enjoyed both daytime and evening strolls . For 5 cuc's. you can ride the double decker bus all over the peninsula all day . We did this a couple of times to visit friends at other resorts . It being the raining season we lucked out and enjoyed beautiful weather :-) .
Club Kawama is an affordable ( family ) resort , clean and comfortable , we will return :-)

• Trip type: Travelled with family
8  Thank South-Novies
Reviewed 21 September 2018 via mobile

My friends and (4 in all) went for the 2nd time against my decision. I know no one has control of weather but was terrible. We were not allowed on beach all week because of deadly jellyfish from the hurricane months before, cloudy and little rain all week but 2 days out of 7 in which I was on excursions % happy with those. Food back on resort was terrible this year, 2 days with no ice for drinks,customer service .. My roommate and I had to strip the bed ourselves so that maids would change sheets . I got to pool one day 2-3 hours...
I would not give this resort anymore than ⭐️ ⭐️. I will go back to Veradero though, close to downtown. Loved it

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank pinkrose9823
Reviewed 19 September 2018

My wife and I just spent a week here( ending Sept 17). We knew this was a 2 star(budget) resort. I did not want to write a total negative piece but the bad outweighed the good. We were barely 25% full- weather +31C and humid every day. ( We also saw other 4 & 5 star resorts empty as well) This resort was built in 1930( 80+ years old) and shows it with some modern upgrades inside. Most staff rarely smiled and rarely even got an "Olla!" out of them. Grounds were not kept up( overflowing garbage bins for days) Beach rarely cleaned nor "groomed". Large pool failed on day 2- left unusable with green water. Pool bar- out of service coffee machine the entire week. Personnel spent more time chatting with themselves leaving unattended guests. Food- so-so at best-never any fries( and potatoes only 1 meal out of 21). Water was free on Day 1( 2 500ml bottles) after that $1 CUC for 1500ml bottle which we bought every 2nd day. Room safe was extra $20 CUC for the week. On the plus side we had a great room( $175/25 per day CUC upgrade Ocean view with huge balcony) and housekeeping staff were very good as was the lunch server at the pool bar. Breakfast Omelet station in buffet restaurant was good but not noteworthy except for 1 cockroach seen. Will we be back?- Not a chance!

Room tip: Most rooms are in 8-12 room outbuildings. Very dated and not that clean. Worth the upgrade to Colonial or poolside rooms.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank twowheelfever
Reviewed 17 September 2018

If you go to a last minute travel site and look for the least expensive all inclusive vacation to anywhere down south this hotel will be close to the top of the list of choices. See for yourself. That being said what do the people who post a negative review here think they were going to get. I have been to other Varadero hotels and have come back here because for the money it compares favourably. The food has improved each year in Cuba since our first visit in 2007. It has here as well. We ate at Red Lobster in London, Ontario last night and my wife has mild diarrhea this morning and I'm fine. We all have different sensibilities. You can always find something good to eat. Cubans are even nicer than Canadians and it is the safest place you are ever likely to experience in your life if that is of concern to you. We take a plug in air freshener with us for the older rooms but we only use the room to sleep and shower. If you have a problem with a temporary loss of hot water try the shower in the gym or ask one of the dozens of repeaters there at all times if you can use their shower. In other words make the most of your vacation, not the least! Also check out the Youtube videos. Movies tell a more complete story.

Room tip: Book a superior room and on arrival check it out BEFORE accepting it.
Date of stay: March 2018