2,049 results
All reviews bring bug spray go with an open mind lots of hot water paddle boats magic show hot sauce downtown varadero repeaters fernando bingo
Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Finally got round to giving a review of Hotel Kawama.

Booked this hotel on a B&B basis with partner who is Cuban

We booked due to price for a 3 week stay ... went with an open mind and low expectations ... after staying at Tuxpan July 2016 for 25 nights !

After arriving and eventually getting booked in and given our room by very Surly uninterested reception staff ( more lot follow )

We were taken transported to our room by porter on buggy to get end of Hotel!... As B& B guests he informed us that as B&B guests that we were not permitted to access to majority of the resort !

Room .. I will a honestly never forget the smell ... when we entered !... smelt of Urine !
Anyway tried to be positive as I knew I had paid for what we got !!!

After getting over the smell in our room ... started to try to look on the positives ... not many at that point though ...lol

After going to kiki's restaurant that night (Friday 25TH August ) service was terrible and food not that good ! ... we settled down to our new environment for next 21 nights !

First morning went to breakfast not expecting much ... but OMG ... was totally shocked .... fruit juice Eggs or Ham sandwich ... eventually I got toast every morning ..on request !

So looked around our surroundings on our first day ... area of Hotel we were in looked very run down and pool looked disgusting colour .... lots of Cuban people in the pool.until.late at night drinking ... ( Yes im in Cuba ) and my Fiancee is Cuban ... no problem !

Anyway we settled down to our new environment and got to say definitely grew into hotel Kawama ... !

We ate on a few occasions at the ( can't remember name of restaurant on B& B side of Hotel and got to say food was great ..and cheap ... we paid on average 13cuc for 2 course meal with drinks .!

Beach was amazing at B&B side of Hotel , with a bar in which you could get a beer for 1cuc , coffee for 00.25 cuc .A burger or hotdog 1cuc ... and staff amazing !

Or room was basic .. but with a view over Kawama canal and also the beach !

Staff were great on B& B side of Hotel ... and after we upgraded .. we're great apart from the Reception staff !! ...Honestly they were aggressive unhelpful and arrogant !

In A/inclusive side of Hotel was really good .. pool was amazing and staff at 24 hour bar great ...

We were evacuated from Kawama to Los cactus on 8th September due to hurricane Imra ... got to say that the staff were amazing in getting everyone evacuated especially as there was a lot of frightened tourists that night .. well done for your care and professional that night !

Would I go back to Kawama ... definitely !

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank PaulM159
Reviewed 25 September 2017

Hi Everyone,
Last winter we spent two weeks at Club Kawama. It was a great experience and I would recommend this place to anyone. The only downfall was the food in the main cafeteria, it was awful at best but the ala carte's made up for that. There is tons of local restaurants within walking distance that we ate at and all were amazing. No one came home with any weight loss....so we sure did survive.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
5  Thank fritzy1966
Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

This is our third time to Cuba. Great place with so much rich history. I am also a person who loves to give people, places, resorts the benefit of the doubt; and therefore was shocked to know that this hotel unfortunately lived up to the comments left on this site.

This hotel is one of the oldest hotel in Varadero I wasn't aware of this, until I was told by a former resident of Cuba who now resides in Germany.

The staff @ reception can be exceptional rude and disrespectful and if they don't like you, will speak about you in Spanish. DO NOT CHANGE YOUR MONEY @ the hotel there is a surcharge of 5% to change your money. The bank is a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

The hotel could do a with a lick of paint and is quite dated. I had severe back pain, because the bed was so uncomfortable and springy ...

The hotel, is very, very, very, popular with the Cuban locals - when it came to meal time, there was a stampede with overloaded food on plates ....

On a positive note - the hotel did move me to another room, because of the bed; but the fridge in the room smelt "incredibly fishy" - the beach was lovely & Ivan (bar man) made great tequila sunrises

Would I go this hotel again ..... no

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Balham1066
Reviewed 15 September 2017

We chose Kawama as we got a very good price for a 2 week vacation and we wanted to be close to Varadero. We enjoy going out for dinner, and this place was a great location for that. It was in walking distance or a taxi/horse&cart or a cool ride in and egg shaped vehicle. This place has a lot of good and not so good things about it. Not so good first, if you want an up to date room, do not go here, the beds are older, and the place is rustic. The front desk ladies are unbelievably unhelpful. It took me 2 days to get the bottle water for my room. The food, well I have nothing to compare to other resorts as first time in Cuba, but I thought it was better than expected, but.... have to not be picky, yes food is reused in different dishes, but every other AI is the same I have been to. The beach chairs are also a bit gross on the beach torn and moldy. Now for the good things, and yes I think there was a lot of good things. We were in bulding 3 superior room, it was close to everything, the maids did a very good job of cleaning everyday, and we always had hot water, the tv worked and so did the air conditioning, we did have a mini fridge in our room also, no gross bugs either in our room. The main pool area was lots of fun, although people are rude about throwing towel on chairs then off to the beach for half a day then back to the pool chair they have saved all day. The pool was clean, they have bathroom right there and they always had toilet paper. The grounds of the place were also fairly clean. Also pool bar and entertainment are right here by the pool. I enjoyed the daily bingo in the afternoon, so much fun. They made one lady jump in pool with cloths on when she called bingo when it wasn't. The beach here is beautiful, lots of palapas, chairs are a bit grungy, we brought cheap airmatresses and put them on top of chairs and then good. Swimming was sooo nice. I thought the nightly entertainment was realy good, live rock band, dancers, better than some I have seen at other resorts that are nicer.The food in the buffet was fairly good, it was always busy, service was good and waiters were very nice. always found something to eat. They also had a coffee bar which was nice and quiet and had great coffee. The al la cartes, well being there for 2 weeks we went to the 3 of them, and they were o.k. the one beside the buffet had good food. They had a foam party once a week at pool. loud music and lots of foam, it was fun to see. They also had a bbq luncheon on the grounds outside buffett which was also nice. There are some people who come back to this resort year after year after year. We were fortunate to meet a very nice couple, who gave us a few tips on lots of things. We also had a nice special dinner with them in the al la carte, the repeaters are well known to the staff, but they are good to each other in return. So

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
11  Thank charker2017
Reviewed 10 September 2017

Only thing worth it, the beautiful, warm, clear water.

The food, they got it all from the dump, butter was out dated, the food, no words to describe the taste, or no taste.

Room, disgusting, beds uncomfortable, lights didn;t work, took 2 days to get hot water, never any toilet paper.

Again, rated as - 10, will never ever return, not worth the money or time .

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and go somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family