“Perfect - safe, comfortable, central”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Havana
Casa Mercedes Habana Vieja
Ranked #486 of 699 Havana B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Perfect - safe, comfortable, central”
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I stayed with Mercedes and Jorge in February 2011 and have no complaints. I was really pleased to have a safe in my room as loosing my money and/or passport would have been - well, you know - really bad! I felt safe there and liked being in the center of things; since I was a single female traveler, I felt I could go out nearby at night and not worry about getting home.

This place had a nice B & B feel to it, not too involved with 'the family', but helpful and accommodating, which was nice for me as I had just come from a homestay in Mexico. If you want a lush bed and complete silence then, you really don't want a "Casa" experience.

I had my own private bathroom and met a couple of other travellers at breakfast - La Havana is not an easy place to live and Mercedes and Jorge do a very good job at making you feel comfortable. Muchisimas Gracias!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Casa Mercedes is an excellent option if you wish to stay in Havana Vieja on a budget - great for one night or if you wish to stay for a few days. It is an old apartment in the heart of old Havana, a few minutes walk from La Floridita Restaurant, Calle Obispo, market, the Central Park (Parque Central) and Museo de la Revolucion. From this "casa particular" it is easy to walk everywhere, so no need for taxis.

Mercedes, the owner, is so organised. She answered all my emails very quickly and took care of everything I needed. She helped me with a few things that were not even related to my stay with her.

The double room was 30 CUC per night. The room was spacious, with 2 beds, and very clean. I never saw a bathroom that clean! There is no window, but with the A/C you do not really notice. The streets are noisy and it is hot and humid, so you would end up not opening a window much anyway.

The breakfast, 5 CUC extra per person, was lovely; large plate of fresh fruit, fresh bread, cheese, butter, jam, fresh fruit juice and coffee and tea. Everything was ready on the table for us by the time we got up.

Mercedes really took care of us, even making coffee for us at 10pm! Water, sodas and beer are available at this "casa". There is a safe and A/C in the room.

Negative points / tips...
1) Mercedes recommended we had dinner at "la familia", a restaurant ("paladar" as they call it) near by. La Familia was not a nice place at all; dirty (especially bathroom) and the view depressing. I am not a fussy eater, but the food was terrible. We paid 39 CUC for dinner, which is quite expensive for a Cuban "paladar". In the restaurant, there is a horrible, small cage with what I can only describe as a rat in it. I am an animal lover, so almost left when I saw this little poor animal in this small, sterile cage and everybody would give it food (fried and full of salt). I think they are Mercedes' friends and that is why she sends people to them. I cannot think of anything else, as the place is depressing and food is very bad and expensive.
2) At Casa Mercedes, they keep a medium-sized turtle in a sink. I slept at the casa for a few days and the turtle was in there for the entire time, kept in poor / unacceptable conditions. Her shell would go white because it was so dry. I think this is not acceptable at all. I hope they will find a better place for the turtle to live.
3) Avoid using the Internet at Casa Mercedes. It is expensive and it does not work. It is so slow it is basically unusable. This is the way it is in homes around Cuba. Please note you cannot make any international calls or use Skype from Casa Mercedes.
4) I trust Cubans earn a commission for anything they help you with. It is easy enough to take a taxi outside the airport. If you let hotel owners organise for you, you end up paying 5/10 CUC more than the going rate. It is very easy to take a taxi outside the airport, so no need to ask the hotel to organise that for you.

Overall, I highly recommend Casa Mercedes. It is supre clean, the rooms are spacious and the owners are organised and professional. The "casa" feels safe and the location is perfect.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jess M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2011

This casa particular is the best I've seen in Habana by far, great location, reasonably priced, safe and welcoming. Greeted with open arms by Mama Mercedes and her husband Jorge, we (3 female travellers) were provided a large clean room with aircon, good bathroom facilities with bath/shower, hot and cold water. Breakfast is also provided as an option if you like, although dinner is not. Which was perfect for our needs. Breakfast catered around my allergies and we were free to do our own thing in the evening. There is a cool box from which you can take water on an honesty system, there are a number of books about Cuba in the library (may have to ask if not on display) and all important internet access. However, if you do have any questions I do recommend asking the family who have a wealth of knowledge and local contacts on hand.

I've also just read some other reviews and should remind people this is a family home, not a hotel. So bear this in mind if you are sensitive to "thin walls" (not that I thought they were thin) these will be the same in any casa particular, it's how these buildings are made and the family can't control snoring from other guests. Also bear in mind that the family want to look after you, advice "not to buy cigars" or change money on the street is very sound advice, as it is illegal, go to a shop or hotel instead - let the family recommend the best place to go.

So, if you want to experience the real Habana, the people, family, network and culture, I would recommend Casa Mercedes as an excellent starting point.

• Stayed May 2011
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 February 2011

I highly recommend Casa Mercedes. The location is excellent, the casa is immaculate, breakfast was wonderful, and Mercedes and Jorge are the perfect hosts. Plenty of hot water, a safe for valuables, a warm and helpful staff who cleaned our room and bath everyday. Excellent service!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2010

A great place to stay to see all the main places in Havana Vieja. Revolution museum, grand theatre etc only a few minutes walk away. Great breakfasts with lots of fruit and comfortable, air conditioned rooms. Definately recommended

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple