All reviewsplaza viejacasa particularthe lonely planet guidemain sightsold townstrong coffeeantique furniturecraft markethot watergreat terracefresh fruitbreakfasts were greatshared bathroomother casasrecommend this casaper nightthree nights
Reviewed 22 April 2017

Very comfortable rooms and an excellent breakfast mean that this place is a good start to your trip to Havana. The guys that work here are all friendly without being in your face - it certainly doesn't feel like you are infringing on someone's space (which we thought it might feel like staying in people's homes).

Plaza Vieja and all the main sights of Havana Vieja are all within walking distance, as are amenities such as the money exchange places, the booth where you get your wifi card, as well as no less than two CUP pizza joints in the same block. It's a very safe area, and although there are tons of tourists further down the road, the house is located in a still authentic neighbourhood.

There was one snag on our last day when it came to pay: it turned out that the price was higher than that agreed beforehand. I'm sure this was a simple oversight on the owner's part, but I'd advise you to discuss this on checking in to any casa, rather than having an unpleasant surprise at the end of your stay.

Room Tip: Room 2's shower left a lot to be desired. The shower in room 1 was better.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank asenseofwonder
Reviewed 20 March 2017

We stayed here on two occasions in February 2017 during the same trip. Very friendly staff who were on hand 24/7 to give advice and book taxis etc.
Rooms clean, and the breakfast of fruit,eggs, coffee, fruit juice was immense.
My only little gripe was that on the second stay, the water in the shower was a trickle and cold.
Walking distance from all of the main sights of Havana.
Shower facilities available on final day, even after you have checked out.
The price was CUC35 plus CUC5 for breakfast.. well worth the price.
Recommended.

Room Tip: Request a room with your own bathroom
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maz23
Reviewed 12 February 2017

I stayed here for several nights in January 2017. I chose this Casa Particular based on the review in Lonely Planet Guide to Cuba and the reviews on Trip Advisor. It is called Greenhouse in the Lonely Planet Guide and that is the name on the sign outside (not to be confused with another Casa Particular of the same name in a different area). I am very glad I chose to stay here. They now have 7 rooms. I particularly like rooms #6 and #7 on the terrace level because of the extra privacy (but you have to go up another flight of stairs). Although Fabio and Eugenio no longer live here, they come in every day and there is always a staff person on site when they are not there. That means that someone is awake all night if you need something. They give you a key ring with your room key and a key to the front door, so you can come and go as you please. However, if you ring the doorbell, someone is always there to let you in. This Casa Particular is about five blocks from Plaza Vieja. San Ignacio is a busy street and there are people outside in the evening so I never felt unsafe walking by myself in the early evening. The breakfasts they serve are huge. I couldn't finish all my food so I would take my fruit plate to my room and put it in the mini fridge. Other staff include Yoandy, Francisco, Alison, and the cook Yanet. They are all very friendly and helpful. I also had Yolanda wash clothes for me and she had my laundry done and neatly folded on my bed within a few hours, for a very small price. The terrace on the upper level is a wonderful feature. There are many tables and chairs; the atmosphere is very relaxing. This Casa Particular is more like a boutique hotel. I highly recommend it. To make a reservation, I called once and they put my name in their book. Then I called two more times as the date of my trip approached, to confirm my reservation. There is no way to pay a deposit in advance so they do want you to call and confirm your reservation at least once. At 30 CUC a night plus 5 CUC for breakfast, this place is a bargain. Hotel prices have shot up in Havana but Greenhouse has not raised its prices lately.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
5  Thank yvonnestlouis
Reviewed 4 February 2017 via mobile

Our agent booked us in this "casa particular" on our very first trip to Cuba. We stayed here 3 days. 2 on the way to our destination Cayos Santa Maria and 1 night on the way back. In general we enjoyed it. Except for the night on the way back. We were put in a room without a toilet and shower which I find problematic because I need to go toilet a lot also during the night. Unfortunately the Casa was fully booked and they could not put us in another room.
Another comment is on the treatment. When we arrived the 1st time we had a 5-star reception. On the way back we were received by a grumpy man who was to lazy to give us any attention. If we would have been received better we would have given 1 more star to our review.
Beds and breakfast were fine. Location is very good and the roof terrace is very nice.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rfmunsel
Reviewed 4 February 2017

Fantastic building, great room. Our room didn't have an en-suite and we had to share. Not ideal if your fellow visitors are messy and don't clean up after themselves. The hosts were friendly and extremely helpful when it came to getting transport to our next location. Breakfast was great! Such a variety of food. Really good distance from the centre of Havana. We walked everywhere!

Room Tip: Request a room with a bathroom
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple