“Nice rooms, but horrible service and untrustworthy staff”
Review of Hotel Santa Isabel

Hotel Santa Isabel
Ranked #21 of 81 Hotels in Havana
Reviewed 22 May 2011

We stayed in this hotel the last two nights of our Cuba Trip, as we planned to spoil ourselves. Considering the price you pay, it is not worth staying there, especially because of the stuff who constantly wants to fool you:

1. They overcharged the bill for drinks
2. They wanted to sell us tickets for the Cabaret Parisién asking almost double the price of what we paid directly at the Hotel Nacional
3. The security guard wanted to sell us fake cigars

To be fair, one also has to mention that the rooms are quite nice and the breakfast is rich for cuban standard. Nevertheless, we were constantly a bit upset about all those small incidents. In all the casas particulares we stayed before, we had ten times the better service for a friction of what we paid in the Hotel Santa Isabel. I would therefore not recommend to book this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank hummelito

Reviewed 29 April 2011

Contrary to some of the other reviews on this hotel we had a lovely 5 night stay here. We had a standard room on the corner with french doors that gave us views in two directions. The staff were very helpful - gave us directions, made and confirmed dinner reservations for us. The food for breakfast was better than I expected but not great. It's not a true 5 star hotel but it's good for Havana. The only real problem was the street noise early in the mornings and the lack of wifi in the hotel (you have to pay for internet and use their PC)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travellingpantaloni
Reviewed 24 March 2011

We loved the Sensational location
But a lot of short comings absolutely not worth the money
Glass missing in our balcony doors lights not working and intimidating notes from cleaning staff we were sick of the place the door men were great but the place needs a big shake up and so do the habaguanexhotels group the dribble they have on their web page concerning this hotel the deplorable maintenance It definatley is not 5 star as advertised, unless there is another star rating for wrecks

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed 23 March 2011

Staying at the Santa Isabel was supposed to be part of a very special holiday for my husband aged 72 and for me celebrating my 60th birthday.
On arrival direct from the UK we were told there was no record of our booking and the hotel was full! They did not have anywhere we could stay. Even after I produced accomodation vouchers which detailed we were booked in there initially for 3 nights in a junior suite queen. It took nearly 3/4 hour to sort out and eventually they did have a room after all- the one we had booked! Not even an appology.The girl on reception was extremely dismissive- I was really upset. Then we were told the safe didnt work so we had to keep out valuables under our pillows over night. Next day we asked reception to get it fixed, the guy who came to look at it said it wasnt broken after all, showed us how to work it and left us to it.
At breakfast we felt we were almost invisible. Getting a second cup of coffee was almost impossible.
Before we checked out I confirmed with reception that we had a further booking for the night before our flight back to UK. The Receptionist checked and Yes we were definally booked in for the specified date.
On our return to Santa Isabel we didnt get there until nearly 10pm due to the timing of the internal flight back to Havana. At Reception the young lady initially said she couldnt find our booking ! I politely told her I was not happy it was happening for the second time, and would she check up she must have made a mistake. After a lengthy telephone call to someone she told us that their computer system must be playing up because we need not worry they had a very good room for us. ( We had booked a junior Suite queen). she said we were lucky as the hotel was absolutely full! On going to the room we found it was not what was booked -it was a twin room. When I queried why we were given a twin room I was told it was a twin on the booking and that is all we could have, even though I had the documentation to show it should be a queen.
The beds were metal framed that squeeked and rattled terribly when you turned over, the bedspreads had cigarette burns in them. The most uncomforfortable night of our holiday.
Next morning at breakfast, we waited patiently for 15 mins for someone to take our order and provide coffee. I then got up and approached a waiter and asked for coffee. When he came to us he took our order and left. 10 mins later we got the coffee, and a bowl of dry cerials put on the table, a basket of bread and croixsant but no butter or jams or milk for the cerials, a further ten minutes later my husband got up and went to the kitchen service area to ask for milk for the cerial, which appeared straight away. We had just started to eat the cerials when the waiter came and plonked 2 plates of egg and ham on the table, and then he promptly left. I was dumbfounded! And these guys expect the clients to tip them ! We tried tried get someone's attention to get a second cup of coffee but ended up giving up and going to a local cafe just down the street where the service was 100% improved on what the so called 5 star Santa Isabell provided to us.
Yes the building is beautiful, steeped in history, unfortunately the attitude of the staff leaves a lot to be desired.
Would we ever go back ? If you were treated like we were - would you?

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank dido280505
Reviewed 12 March 2011

I recently stayed at the Hotel Isabel in Havana. It was a wonderfulk old world style hotel. The location was fabulous, right on the edge of the old town and opposite a wonderful park. The location couldn't have been better. The room I had was fine, if a little small. I had a room on the 2nd floor with a large terrace overlooking the square and park. The bed was acceptable and the bathroom was workable. Certainly not 5 star, but it was Havana and an old building. The hotel had charm and character, the sort of hotel you want to stya in whilst visiting Havana. The breakfast was held on the lovely collanaded verandah each mroning overlooking the square and park. The breakfast was OK, not fantastic, but edible and accepable. A reasonable choice was offered as well. The hotel had a lovely rooftop bar where dinner was available. The Lobster seafood dinner was fine and not expensive. 25 CUC for the lot. However there are better restaurants nearby. I had dinner in a wonderful restaurant overlooking the main square where the old cathederal is located. About a 5 minute walk. Ask for a balcony table and overlook the square and cathederal and watch their musicians and dancers perform. Great food and reasonably priced. The only issue with Havana is the US $ exchange rate they provide. Take Euro's or Pounds or other currency (not Aussie dollars) as the rate is much better.

I booked my hotel room through a local tour guide, Jorge. He was fabulous. Gave me great rates (better than I could get in Australia) and was there to assist me. Very helpful and arranged a car and a guide at reasonable rates too. This is his email. jorgeguide2004@gmail.com..he replies promptly. I got him from trip advisor.

Havana was a wonderful city, well worth the visit. Plenty to see. I moved to the Nacional for 1 night. Just to say I stayed there, but the Isabel was a better location

Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo