February 29, 2012 was a very special day for me. It was Leap Day and I actually had a birthday this year...and it was my 60th birthday, a wonderful milestone! My husband surprised me with a trip to Bermuda to celebrate! Our travel agent recommended a large chain hotel but my husband preferred a small, boutique resort with private balconies right on the water. Boy, was THAT the right decision! We had traveled a great deal but had not been to Bermuda before. We were greeted with smiles and "Happy Birthday" from the staff on our arrival. While the owner, Larry Lamb, gave us a tour of the facility, the manager, Adam, took our bags to our room. Adam, it seemed, was always there. He lives on the property and was always the first one we saw at the front desk...with a smile on his face! First of all, there are 3 wonderful restaurants, all serving delicious meals with lots of wonderful choices. Our accommodations included breakfast and dinner. We also had a "dine-around" option which gave us the opportunity to have dinner somewhere else but we didn't take advantage of it. Why should we when Pompano Beach Club was everything we could have imagined? Anything we could possibly want for breakfast and FIVE course meals for dinner which included everything from seafood, steaks, pork, chicken and vegetarian choices, all beautifully prepared and delicious! Lynn, the Assistant Matre'D was so attentive to our every need!
Our room was wonderful! Nice firm king size bed with lots of pillows. SIX towels in the bathroom, which were replaced TWICE daily, once when the room was cleaned in the morning and again during turn-down service while we were at dinner. The same number of hand towels and washclothes...that just NEVER happens! The room was always immaculate!
There were so many special features about this establishment that were unique...umbrellas in the room and the lobby in case it rained, bookcases full of best sellers, three computers for guests to use, a game room with pool table, ping pong table and video games, a large heated pool and three hot tubs, a restaurant off the pool deck that served lunch and drinks (try the Rum Swizzle, the Dark and Stormy and the Yellow Bird!). The resort is located at the bottom of a steep hill. When we wanted to catch a bus to Hamilton or ride the ferry we just asked at the front desk and someone (usually the owner or manager) would drop what they were doing and, with a smile, take us to the top of the pickup stop. When we got back, there was a phone at the gate so we could call the front desk and ask to be picked up. Someone was always there quickly, again with a smile. I'm sure these people had plenty to keep them busy, but they never acted like it was an imposition to take us up the hill or pick us up.
On my actual birthday, staff everywhere greeted me with "Happy Birthday" and surprised me with a birthday cake at dinner that night. Leaving after 4 days was tough. I felt like I was leaving family, including the hugs and kisses!
I won't review Bermuda itself, which was magnificent! There are plenty of websites that will give you an overview of that wonderful island and its people. We live on Pensacola Beach which is heralded as "Paradise"...and it is. Our waters and beaches are spectacular and some of the prettiest beaches in the world. But if possible, Bermuda is even prettier, with its azure blue waters and pink sands. The people were friendly everywhere we went and we felt safe throughout the island. Taking the local bus gave us a peek at how the "real" people live and we didn't see the poverty that covers the Bahama Islands. Sure, there were mansions on the water but even the modest homes, for the most part, were well cared for. Oops, I said I wasn't going to review Bermuda, didn't I? Oh well, you get the picture!
When we visit Bermuda again, and we will, we wouldn't dream of staying anywhere but the Pompano Beach Club. Make the trip...you'll be glad you did! Tell them Jodie sent you!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This 75 room beachfront resort has been owned and operated by the Lamb family since 1956. It offers extensive recreational facilities, a breathtaking oceanfront setting, gourmet cuisine, spacious oceanview accommodations, a casual, relaxed atmosphere and personalized, caring service, with Bermudian hospitality that is second to none. The resort overlooks Bermuda's southwest coast and attracts lots of honeymooners, families and couples (especially golfers, watersports enthusiasts and those looking for R&R). Come see why so many of their guests return year after year! The owner-managers are hands-on and passionate about the service they give their guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and Agoda so you can book your Pompano Beach Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pompano Beach Club Hotel Southampton
- Pompano Beach Hotel
- Pompano Beach Resort
- Pompano Beach Club Bermuda/Southampton Parish