Our group stayed here for 8 days and we were not expecting much - only the basics - but the experience was anything but positive. Let's start off with:
1. Location is ideal and only a 3 minute walk to the bus station, City Center, grocery store and nearby restaurants and shops (including the well know perfumery). Also, it's about a 15 minute walk to Tobacco Bay Beach, Fort St. Catherine, Beach House, etc.
2. Rent was reasonable by Bermuda standards and we paid about $150 per night.
3. Description of the rental as being newly renovated was a plus.
4. All amenities listed were provided, but some did not work properly (see below for more information).
5. VR owner set-up our taxi pick-up and drop off in advance.
6. There was a cellphone provided in case we needed to call locally.
7. Wi-fi was provided.
1. No informative checklist or direct contact person provided in case rentees encounter any issues (which we did). See below.
2. Wireless Internet did not work the first day (emailed VR owner and never received a response). I had to comb the rental to find the router.
3. Washer did not "spin" properly and clothing came out soaking wet. On the 4th day, it miraculously started working.
4. Bed linen and blankets appeared not clean and/or very old and washed too many times.
5. No hot water to shower 50% of the time and the bathroom sink had no hot water.
6. Some of the knobs on the cooker were not working.
7. Lint, dead bugs/roaches on the floor and under the beds (even though we paid a $75 cleaning fee).
8. Ants were prevalent in the kitchen and laundry area.
9. The outside garden appeared not maintained for weeks and tall grass and weeds were everywhere.
10. Roof started leaking in the bedroom and laundry area on the 3rd day.
11. Mold formed as a result in the bedroom area.
12. Curtain also fell off in the bedroom area as a result of the roof leaks (humidity).
13. Was informed by VR owner's mother that VR owner would contact me but never did. She stated he was not returning until "next week"
14. On our last day (Sunday), everyone in our group departed early to the airport except one of us and was given permission by the VR owner's cleaner to stay until 6 pm (when his taxi would pick him up) since she was not going to be back to clean until Monday. This was not the case and the VR owner surprisingly showed up (even though we were - again - informed he was not returning until "next week"). He told my friend that one of his rentees was checking in 1 day early so my friend had to leave. My friend requested the VR owner give him 30 minutes to pack up for which the VR owner replied, "How about 20?" Upon further research, the VR owner's calendar shows his rental was still available to rent from that day after until 9/5 so...
This experience did not leave me with a negative impression of Bermuda (because Bermudians in general are friendly and gracious), but due to the numerous maintenance deficiencies, no or lack of communication from the VR owner, and the inhospitable treatment towards the end of our stay, I would not recommend this rental to anyone. Next I return to Bermuda, I will pay much more and stay somewhere else.
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
We were going to be over our limit at our St George's Club cottage and needed nearby space for less than the club would have charged us, and Threadneedle cottage was perfect. It was very quiet, and a very easy walk to the Club, stores, restaurants, beaches. Although we didn't use it much, the kitchen seemed very gourmet and well stocked (except for lacking a coffee maker), there was a cute private outdoor area and the Internet was fast and reliable (much better than the club's). We will definitely book here again next time we need the extra space, which might be next year.
|How easy was it to book the property?||How easy was key pickup/access to the property?|
|Overall condition of the property||Bedding & mattresses|
|Kitchen & utensils||Bathroom cleanliness|
|Friends getaway||Older travelers|
|Families with young children|