“Great food, abnormally slow service”

The Lazy Turtle Aruba
Price range: US$18 - US$25
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

As a non-fish eating vegetarian, I was very happy to find a restaurant that actually had a selection that worked for me. I ordered one of the tofu dishes, husband ordered the banana leaf wrapped grouper. Service was friendly, but food did not come out for about an hour, and we saw little of our waitress. The restaurant wasn't even close to being at capacity- it was maybe 1/5 booked on a Wednesday night. I saw lots of the servers bringing food into a nearby sports bar - I guess they supply for that location as well? My tofu tasted very good, but there really wasn't much of it. On the other hand, husband said his fish was the third best meal he had every eaten -- which is why my review is 4 circles and not lower. We then needed to wait (what seemed to be between) 20-30 minutes for the bill.

1  Thank APittsburgher

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The food was excellent and Donald was a great waiter, explaining all our options and provided excellent advice when asked. He was very attentive without bing intrusive.

2  Thank jlkruer
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Tried this restaurant for the first time during our vacation to Aruba. The service was awesome and the food excellent with an African flare!

1  Thank SCOTT P
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Can’t say enough for the experience. We ordered Smoked Fish Kenyan style, ribs, pad thai (very different than we experienced) all gluten free. They were all delicious. Would go there again.

1  Thank 1goodtraveller2
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I had found this place online and the menu looked perfect, so we decided to put it on our list. It's located in a shopping plaza and is pretty small, but very welcoming. The hostess was so nice and gave us complimentary drinks when we were seated. The drink special of the day was fantastic.

When ordering, my husband asked for the grouper in the banana leaf, but they were out of grouper that day. They asked if it was ok to substitute the fresh catch of the day instead (I think it was red tail snapper) and he was happy with that. I ordered the special, which was a pasta with chicken and bacon in it. Our food came, and it was delicious. He said it was probably the best fish he's ever had.

We had a few more drinks and then requested the check. Here is where the problem came in. Our server went to get it, then vanished. It took us 35-40 minutes to have him resurface and realize he forgot us. He did apologize, but it really put a damper on an otherwise good meal.