“Great all around Hotel”

Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in Palm - Eagle Beach
toronto
“Great all around Hotel”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

After a 15 minute bus ride, we arrived at the Riu and were greated with smiles, beverages, a simple check in, had ready rooms and then went straight to the Buffet.
OMG- heaven. Usually Buffets are stale leftovers. Not here. Fresh, tasty and wonderful variety. The Buffet was so good we didn't bother to eat anywhere else. There were 7 of us and we all loved it.
After a quick bite we went to the beach. Not much for waves (which we love) but clean, turquoise water. great for snorkling, scuba diving, banana boat rides, everything is here. The only negative is running downstairs early in the morning to get a chair at the pool or beach. Not a big deal, it gets you out of bed and walking the boardwalk in the morning more than makes up for it. It also helps with the calories that will be consumed.
The staff, shows, location, A-Z hands down. It was great. The pool was wonderful, great for families and couples.
Only challenge is for people with strollers or requiring wheelchairs. The ramp to the lobby is uphill which can be challenging.
The view, WOW, the white sand - so smooth, the nightlife, wonderfully exciting.
You can't go wrong unless your looking for a couples only resort. Only negative, the beds were rock hard. The ceramic floor was softer. Then, the day before we leave, we find out that you can request bed toppers. Definately request a bed topper and have a fabulous vacation. You will never regret this. Have a blast!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank eveningsky

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,302)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Chicago
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Stayed at the Riu the last week in March. Beautiful weather, beautiful beach! Room was clean and mini fridge was replenished daily. We stayed in room 335 in building B and had a large balcony close to the ocean.Always windy but it knew that when we went.
Everyone on the island was so nice- from the taxi drivers to the maids to the front desk. In front of the hotel on the beach you can walk to all the other hotels, lots of bars and restaurants. In front of the hotel on the street there are several more places to eat and drink. Very safe to walk everywhere.
All- inclusive was good. Breakfast and dinner were better than lunch. We ate at all the specialty restaurants. Liked them all especially the steak restaurant. No problem getting reservations.
Loved Glen, Miguel, Danielle, Ana Victoria!
Took a cab and had a drink at La Trattoria: El Faro Blanco. A must see!!!!!! Gorgeous!
So many good restaurants in Aruba I think next time I may stay another hotel so I can try all the other restaurants but really enjoyed RIU so may return.
Only complaint is there needs to be a new system for getting a palapa on the beach. Had to be out there at 5:00 to get one.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank hope1Chicago
Boston
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Let me begin by saying, I was apprehensive about booking this property, after reading some of the reviews, but, a friend of mine recommended it, so, I decided to go ahead. BOY, I am glad I did!! We got there way before check in time, so, predictably, our room wasn't ready. However, the girl at the front desk said she would let housekeeping know we had arrived so that they would prepare our room, asap. In fact, she said to check back in 30 mins or so. We went to get a cold drink, and, a bite to eat at the outdoor buffet, and, our room was ready when we finished. Within an hour of our arrival in Aruba, we were in our room, and, in our swim suits. When booking I requested a room in the A building, on an upper floor, with an ocean view. I received ALL of my requests. I read, over and over, that I would have to get up early and stake out the beach or pool to get a chair or umbrella. I didn't have a problem with either, and, I never went to get one before 9am. I read that I would have to stand in long lines to make dinner reservations. Again, I didn't experience this. In fact, the hub and I would get up whenever. Flip flop our way down to the beach or pool. Get our chairs and umbrellas situated. Head over to the breakfast buffet. After eating, make our way to the reservations desk, which by now is empty, and, make our dinner reservations. We were able to secure reservations, in 2 minutes, with no hassles. We only ate in the theme restaurants twice, at Nautilus Steakhouse, and, Milano, the Italian restaurant, but, enjoyed both meals very much. Any other meals we had on property were in the indoor buffet. I preferred the indoor buffet to the outdoor because Aruba is very windy, and, there are lots of birds. Don't leave your plate unattended, or, you might just see your lunch fly away! The staff was very attentive. They restocked our fridge everyday. We always had plenty of towels, and, we had turn down service everynight. Once we came in to find a large flower covered heart made out of towels that our housekeeper, Juana, made. What a nice little touch! We had late night room service, twice. The menu is limited, but, the club sandwich was good. There are 24 hour snacks in the Sports Bar too. A couple of times, when heading to our room for the night, we'd stop in there, and, grab a chicken salad sandwich, or, fruit salad to stick in the fridge in case of late night munchies. I advise you to bring your own insulated large cup, so you don't have to go back to the bar repeatedly. Although, if you're at the pool, waitresses come over to ask if you need anything all day long. Our room was spacious, clean, and, had a beautiful view, with a balcony. That rock hard bed thing is true, but, we got a mattress pad, and, were ok. We loved Riu, and, will definitely be back!

Room Tip: Higher floors in the A Building have beautiful views of both the pool and ocean.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank JCinSB
Forked River, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Riu. Our room was spacious and clean with an ocean view. The staff was courteous and helpful; when we needed something, they were at our room in minutes. The waitresses around the pool consistently asked us if we wanted a beverage. We enjoyed both the pool and beach during the day and the casino and outside bar at night. There is free Wi Fi Internet access in the lobby, which was very helpful. Each room has a balcony with room for two chairs (not every hotel has this). I really was not sure if I should give the Riu a rating of 4 or 5--I actually would have picked 4.5 if I had the option! The food was plentiful and always available; it was good but not great. We enjoyed their breakfast and lunch but went to restaurants in town for dinner. The mattress in our room was as hard as a rock. (We later found out we could have asked for a mattress cover to soften it.) As another reviewer wrote, to get a hut on the beach, you have to go between 4:30-5:00 a.m. to reserve it. We ended up renting an umbrella for $25 for the one day we wanted shade. You can get chairs by the pool if you're out there by 8 or 9 a.m. Zumba by the pool was great! The music at the pool was lively; however, it was very loud and always had a Spanish or Latin flair, which grew tiresome--a variety would have been nice. I would stay at the Riu again, but my husband would like to try somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ocean view was beautiful.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Jean D
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I traveled to Aruba in March accompanying friends. This resort was an excellent choice. The all inclusive made it convenient and comfortable to stay within the hotel area for relaxation & meals and having high quality of service & food available. I did not try any of the specialty restaurants but the food at every buffet service was excellent for choices and quality. The rooms were very comfortable and the staff was very helpful.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3.8 km away
Tamarijn Aruba All Inclusive
1.6 km away
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
0.2 km away
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
5.1 km away
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Been to Hotel Riu Palace Aruba? Share your experiences!