“Exhausted”

Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in St. John's
Reviewed 8 April 2017

I recently stayed at this hotel for several nights and I thought I would try to offer a different slant from more recent reviewers! Because, out of necessity, I was there for longer than most reviewers, I think it only fair that I try to stress some positives.

Yes, hot water was a premium but the staff tried hard to raise the temperature, just a little. The food was actually ok; in fact, I had one of the best pieces of snapper I've ever had and when I asked for more fresh fruit, it arrived in abundance. The beach is beautiful and the walk up to the 18th century Fort Barrington is a joy. The pool wasn't dirty, it was worn- there is a difference. Try to imagine a former supermodel, once beautiful, glamorous and immaculately presented. Now she has reached the winter of her life and he looks have gone, and her celebrity life has taken its toll. This former grand hotel is not just tired, it's exhausted. It hasn't seen a major renovation since it was built in, I think, the eighties. Maintenance for Mikey and his team is a constant, unwinnable task and if you are allocated a room below floor 5, get it changed. Floor 8 is the best. Like most of the Caribbean, you get no where if you make enemies of the staff, if you're pleasant and do your best to get alongside them, they will do their best to make things better for you. The staff in this hotel are generally good people working in a really run-down hotel. The financial history matters not for the purposes of review but for them it is significant. The site is very remote and Antiguan taxis are expensive; you're better off trying to set up a reliable driver for regular use, it's cheaper and they will take you to the better places to eat and see. There is nothing worth going to within walking distance so I hired a car; I would say that this is a good option. The regal nomenclature of this hotel does not reflect its current condition but the rooms I saw were clean, the view from the balcony over the lagoon and out to the ocean is spectacular and I actually did enjoy my stay- believe it or not- in spite of the flaking paint, discoloured plaster and cold, hot water!

Room Tip: Front of hotel, overlooking the lagoon and ocean
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank DonHawkley

Reviewed 25 March 2017

1. The web site picture of the resort are grossly misleading.
2. The place ti terrible. As we drove on up to the resort we immediately knew we made a big mistake.They advertise 3 restaurant; Only 1 existed. The pool was dirty. Don't even think of dipping you toes. The Bay/ocean is safer.
3. 70% of the the roomS are "under repair"; BUT YOU I DID NOT SEE ANY REPAIR CREW DOING ANY RENOVATIONS, EITHER IN THE BUILDING OR ON THE GROUNDS. LUKE WARM all you will get and it is hit or miss. GET USED TO TAKING COLD SHOWERS EVERY DAY. You can tell that the place IS ON it's last legs.
4. We ate 100% of our meals at other restaurants (which means it cost us a small fortune in cab service daily to travel across the island to get a decent meal.)
5. DO NOT BOOK AT THIS RESORT. TRIP ADVISOR SHOULD DELIST THIS RESORT. THE RESORT IS A GHOST TOWN - YOU WILL BE LUCKY IF YOU SEE OTHER GUESTs. Forget a casino- does not exist. AND BY THE WAY, INTERNET SERVICE IS INTERMITTENT; AND FRUSTRATINGLY SLOW, SLOW, SLOW.

Room Tip: Do not stay at this resort.However, Do not book All-Inclusive. Take your meals off site.
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rnslentine
Reviewed 12 March 2017 via mobile

The only good thing about this stay was ....it was only for 1 night !!!!
The place needs condemning
On arrival the checkin was a young lad listening to a iPhone and being honest
His attitude was i don't really want to be here regardless of you having to stay
Here . You could tell he'd had to endure complaints and moans previously
Whilst checking in I needed the loo , I was told where it was and amazed 3 out the 5/6
Urinal troughs were out of use and the place hadn't seen paint for years
The rooms were circa 1970s and reminded me of scenes like Jason king or the persuaders on TV
Of that period
We didn't try the food but were told by a guy staying there was very repetitive and not great ,the same chap
Told us the beach attached was fabulous but the hotel pool was dirty
Seriously if you have booked to come to that hotel for more than a night ...get your travel agent to change it
It's miles from anywhere and a taxi is required at all times ....in my opinion it ranks along side the Harbour View hotel
In Mumbai as the worst hotels in the world I've stayed in

I've rated in one because there isn't a nought !!!!!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
6  Thank Andy M
Reviewed 10 March 2017

This hotel has tremendous potential but it's a run down horrible mess!
Went to Antigua for 3 days, and despite of all the bad reviews I saw on the place i still went and regretted. It was so bad that I had to leave after viewing the place.
Guys the place is just a mess- pool was empty, toilet wasn't flushing, the rooms.....
Oh my lord I could go on and on, dont waste your time cause you will be highly disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Brandon J
Reviewed 2 March 2017

Westjet booked my husband and i into this resort due to a missed connecting flight. First impressions were horrible. The place is a ghost town. The lobby was dark, no one at the bar, an not a hotel guest not be seen. The hotel is empty. The room was outdated to put it nicely. The pool is literally falling apart, The swim up bar is closed, disintegrating and not open, the so called playground is a death trap. There are no staff outside to even offer to get you a drink or anything. There are over 200 rooms at this hotel and we saw one other couple. My husband went to have a shower, the water was brown and cold. The grout / silicone in the bathroom has gaping holes in it. And the bathroom was filthy. The bed has a bedspread on it that looked like it was from the 1970s. There is no casino as is listed as an amenity. As well as there is one restaurant not three. With table cloths on maybe ten tables. When i approached the front desk and asked why the hotel was empty. The man said to me that "there are some things i cannot tell you". We then went back to our room and started calling other resorts in Antigua for a place to stay for two nights. Thankfully we were able to get the last room at Galley Bay Resort, which is an absolutely gorgeous place to stay, the staff had five minutes warning that we were coming and there was a bottle champagne in our room and they even sent a cab to pick us up.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
6.7 km away
Starfish Jolly Beach Resort
20.8 km away
Pineapple Beach Club Antigua

Been to Grand Royal Antiguan Beach Resort? Share your experiences!