I'm truly sorry I didn't pay more attention to these reviews when my husband and I first booked our honeymoon back in January. Our actual trip was from April 7-13, 2012. I'm not going to rehash our almost week long trip because I will essentially be repeating what so many other unsatisfied guests have already mentioned, apparently for years. I will cut right to the point. The overall feel from the resort staff varies from unfriendly to straight up rude. We encountered maybe 5 friendly staff the entire time we were there. They truly do not care. You will be a bother to them to ask them for something as simple as a napkin. Please keep this in mind everytime you plan to sit down for a meal, ask for a drink, or ask ANYTHING for that matter. This attitude was most definitely the rule, and not the exception, nor was it the only thing wrong with this place, but it certainly topped the list for us. We felt that the overall maintenance and cleanliness of the resort (rooms, pools, grounds, etc.) was substandard for the amount of money we paid for this trip. The food was average, and usually had gnats flying around it, even when we ate at any of the indoor restaurants. My husband found hair in his food on 3 different occasions, but we never bothered saying anything about it because we knew it wouldn't matter to them, and honestly, we didn't feel safe enough to say anything. We may have had 3 really good dishes during our stay. We had an issue with our air conditioner the first night there, and although we had maintenance come at about 10:30 at night, he only "fixed" the problem which caused a whole other problem. I did not get much sleep that night. We ended up switching rooms the next day because they told us the problem could not be fixed. I felt bad for whoever they put in that room after us.
Anything that we actually enjoyed; the fact that we were together, laying out in the sun, the nice weather, the sea water, we could have found somewhere else...somewhere closer to home, with friendlier staff, better overall quality, and a lot less expensive. We were willing to pay the price for a really nice time. This was NOT the place. The reality of this place is not decribed on the website, nor in any brochure. It was not as beautiful or impressive as we had expected. It was not geared towards couples the way I thought it would be. It was not romantic. It was definitely not peaceful. And most of all, we did not feel welcome. Forget about being "taken care of"; if you are looking for that, this is not the place. If you do go, do not feel surprised if you feel like you were dupped. We arrived on a Saturday evening...I wanted to leave by Tuesday.
My husband and I were recently married, but have been together for almost 13 years. In that time we have done a lot of traveling, but have only taken 3 vacations together. Neither one of us has ever gone to an all-inclusive resort and I've always wanted to try Sandals. I will never try another Sandals again because of this experience. Believe me, the word is being spread.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •A European Hotel in the Six-Star, all-suite Mediterranean Village •Exotic Rondoval with private plunge pool and butler service •1,400 square foot Mediterranean villa with private plunge pool and butler service•Houses the East Caribbean's largest pool (1 of 6) •Offers 9 dining options and 8 bars including an English pub •Voted "World's Most Romantic Resort" 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, TravelUp and Booking.com so you can book your Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Grande Antigua Hotel St. John`s
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort And Spa
- Sandals Antigua
- Hotel Sandals Grande Antigua
- Sandals Grand Antigua
- Antigua Sandals
- Sandals Grande Antigua Resort & Spa Saint John Parish