First of all we should have been at the Hawksbill resort. But arrived in Antigua the day of hurricane Irma and had to stay here. While here we had 3 hurricanes. But got through.
This hotel could be a great place to holiday. It needs some money spent on it to make it a top hotel. Just needs redecorating and updating. Also a few of the staff were a bit abrupt and miserable. Some in the restaurant and bar. The bar supervisor (small lady) was the worst she spent most of her time talking rather than serve but the rest were great. But most of the staff were really great. Our thanks go to Devon and Mario the assistant managers they were very helpful and pleasant people. Few others to mention are Heather ( try her coffee specials,she is a great lady) always got a smile on her face and very helpful. Thank you. Kai in the bar was also very nice as was Dave. He looked after us on the beach. A special thanks to Juleen in the restauarant couldn't do enough for you. But most of all a big thank you to Aretha , she was great during the hurricane. She looked after every ones safety and never left us. Special thank you to her. The local dj played some great tunes , there was not enough oh him in the evenings. But overall thank you every one who looked after us.
Now for my review.
The hotel is very nice just needs updating . The beach is great and looked after , they were a bit slow cleaning up after the hurricanes but that's the Caribbean. I feel the entertainment and bar finished too early . Some nights the bar shut earlier than stated. The steel band and reggae group were great should have started bit later so as to finish later. Already mentioned the dj.
Unfortunately the power kept going down after the 3 hurricanes so we had more cold showers than hot and the air conditioning was very rarely working. They had a generator but this didn't control those . You need the air conditioning in the evening it's bloody stifling in the rooms.
The rooms are ok and the cleaners do a great job. They need a lick of paint and there is some mould here and there. But you only sleep in your room.
There is a major problem with beach vendors. They were a pain. They will not leave you alone and when they did they hung around in groups and were very loud. They were always pestering you to get them drinks and food . As Sandels has shut for 3 months they all converge on the Halcyon.They always hung around the beach toilets with a few staff, smoking , drinking and swearing. As it's a public beach nothing can be done about this. Which is a shame . One member of staff in a green t shirt with project on the back was worst. He was supposed to be working but spent most of his time there. If you want peace and quiet stay around the pool . It's not only the vendors but the hotel also plays loud music next to beach . This is ok if your young but most of the guest were a little older.
If you fancy a trip out book through Tony . His service is great and a good price. Try not to use Sean his is not so good. Go to sting ray city great day out and excellent value. Will never forget it.
Just up around the corner from the hotel is restaurant called Paris pizza. If you wish to go out for the evening please go there the food is great. It's an old looking shack but the inside is brilliant and the the food tasty. Best steak ever.
Take a walk down the beach there is a lot to see and some lovely beaches to visit.
Overall even with 3 hurricanes we had great time and came home tanned.
One last thing , don't book this through Virgin. The rep was useless only saw her once and she never informed us about our flight being cancelled. We took taxi to airport and only found out once there. Also their customer service is rubbish. You will not pay what their web page states, they bump the price up and are very hard to get in touch with.
We made some great friends and met some lovely people.
Hope this helps
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Enjoying a pristine picture postcard beach front location, the Halcyon Cove by rex resorts offers the very essence of a perfect Caribbean setting. Beautiful glistening waters gently lap at the palm-fringed white sands of Dickenson Bay where guests can recline beneath the palm-frond parasols or exert some energy on a variety of water sports. International buffet breakfast and dinner cuisine is served at the Arawak Terrace restaurant or treat yourself at the Warri Pier a-la-carte restaurant featuring speciality grills and lobster in its unique setting over the sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, Expedia, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, TravelUp and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Halcyon Cove by Rex Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Halcyon Cove By Rex Hotel St. John`s
- Halcyon Cove Antigua
- Halcyon Cove By Rex Resorts Antigua/Saint John Parish
- Rex Halcyon Cove Resort
- Rex Halcyon Antigua