1,347 results
All reviews eden beach clothing optional beach nude beach garden bungalow sea grapes beach superior sea view tamarind tree air conditioning rex resorts main beach ceiling fan honeymoon beach laid back repeat guests sugar mill beach bar sand flies
Reviewed 9 July 2018 via mobile

I stayed here 23rd June till 4th July 18.
I emailed rex resorts in advance asking for a room on honeymoon cove as my wife and I were celebrating our 2nd wedding anniversary and we were given room 136 over looking honeymoon cove beach. The room was quite basic but very clean. Our cleaner was one of the most cheerful people i have ever met, always had a smile on her face and nothing was ever a problem sorry I don't know her name but a credit to the hotel thats for sure.
The view from our balcony was amazing. Just a few feet from the sea. There were lots of mongoose running about witch was nice to see. There was also little birds that come to our balcony for food they loved a bit of sugar they were literally sitting on our hand eating it. The beaches there are nice but as you get further from the main beach towards eden beach they become a lot more stoney. We visited eden beach a few times and the very first part has the least stones. Also its very quiet there probably 6 to 8 people on it at most.
The food when we first arrived was quite good i thought but it was not so good toward the end of our holiday it was Al a carte most of the time and the portions were quite small and not as tasty as when we arrived. The omelettes at breakfast were lovely though. The staff in general were great very friendly and always smiling the barman on the seagrapes bar i think his name was dave was a great bloke. When I was watching the world cup i didn't even have to go to the bar he would keep an eye out and as soon as i was getting low he would bring me another drink without me asking. This resort is very relaxed and quite so if you want a holiday with lots of music an night life avoid this place but if you want a quiet holiday this is perfect.
When we were having dinner 1 evening the resident manager was talking to the guests a table at a time. She was very friendly and a nice lady. I did mention a concern i had about a coconut palm tree next to the tennis court, it is right next to a walkway and has very large coconuts hanging from it directly above and if 1 fell when you were walking past i dread to think what would happen. She did say she would get the gardening department to have a look but 5 days later when i left they were still there. I think the biggest problem we had there was the mosquitos, they are relentless my wife and I got bit quiet a lot, not the resorts fault its in a tropical part of the world so not a lot you can do. We did have lots of different repellents but nothing seemed to work including off deepwoods that has great reviews online. Overall I would say the place overall is worth visiting and would go back again if not for the mosquitos. 1 last thing I forgot to mention if a nice bed is important to you they have the most comfortable beds i have ever slept in, worthy of any 5 star resort never mind 3 star.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank alan504187
Ammielle M, Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2018

Hello Alan, thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Hawksbill, we appreciate that! We are so very pleased that you both had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and interacting with our team. I do apologize that it did take some time for the coconuts to be removed as this task requires a specialized "climber" to remove them. Since your visit I can confirm that they have been removed. Here at Hawksbill the only thing that comes above our guests satisfaction is their safety and we would never compromise in this regard. We have implemented a few measures to assist in the control of mosquitoes and do understand that this is a major concern and do our best to ensure that our guests are as comfortable as possible. It was truly our pleasure taking care of you both and we do hope that we will get the opportunity to welcome you back very, very soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2018

Great hotel, service second to none! Rooms have everything and if you can't find it the hotel will get it for you!
Perfect for a relaxing time to recharge your batteries!
The food was excellent but saw the menu and quite pricy! Great for couples, not so much for little people though.
Would certainly recommend!

Room Tip: All rooms are good!
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sue E
Ammielle M, Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2018

Hello Sue, thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Hawksbill. We are very pleased that you had a good time with us and enjoyed the food and interacting with our team. Hawksbill is an absolute dream location with the most relaxing atmosphere, rightfully said "Great for couples". Hence why we made the move to become an Adults Only Resort. We believe that amidst the sound of the gentle waves rolling in, the humming birds flickering through the trees and the golden, pink sunsets an air of romance is found and appreciated by the many couples who return year after year. It was our pleasure to take good care of you and we hope that we will be adding you to our yearly list people who just keep coming back.

Reviewed 1 July 2018

Open letter to the Manageress.

The points raised in this review would have been brought to your attention verbally but after encounter with you on the first managers drinks evening on our first Monday where you tactfully suggested we should go have dinner now, we did you the honour of not lumbering ourselves on you a second time the following week, allowing you to court the travel rep and the more frequent returning guests that our paltry 2nd consecutive year.

A visible change has occurred in the 12 months since our initial visit and our falling in love with the tranquility of the resort, mostly these are praiseworthy such as the a la carte dinners for most of the week. This is good for the guests, a way for the chef to show off his talents and a way for the business to reduce food waste. You can’t please all of your guests but this will mostly, for the remainder of my embarrassing countrymen keep em fed in chips and ketchup with most meals and they’ll be happy. Housekeeping, spot on clean sheets towels of good soft standard. New beds all good and a big tick in the box.

Others such as time keeping dress code and security have collapsed to less than sub standard.Now I know Caribbean time is more fluid than the U.K. but breakfast at 0750 rather than 0730 is a bit farcical and this isn’t an isolated incident. My biggest gripe is probably the dinner dress code. You have gone to the extent of getting numerous signs reprinted stating this and also now the concession to tailored shorts but don’t enforce it one iota. Baseball caps T shirts flip flops women’s shorts and crop tops are daily. On one occasion a guy wore the same outfit to breakfast lunch and dinner!

This old lady of a hotel has a venerable 60 year old history which currently in your hands for a short time. Unless your mandate is to change it to a jumping thumping Rex party hotel (if so do respond ASAP before I rebook for next year) exert your authority.

Security after a beach incident last year is paramount to us. We were delighted to see a uniformed presence and even the familiar faces of the police on our first Sunday but then things tailed off. No grounds patrols nor Eden beach visits from about the following Thursday for a further week. Maybe you are only paying for alternative weeks as there are only 30 or so guests at this time of year. Surely each one still deserves that security protection even in your quiet season.

Unless you are changing the nature of the hotel we will without a shadow of a doubt be coming back next year. The peace and harmony with nature the Hawksbill gives can only be found in a Buddhist retreat. I know you hate the goats and want rid of them (curry perhaps??)but it’s one of the quirks and if you are tasked with cutting costs it saves on lawn maintenance. The variety of birds we see, the mongoose families and the Facebook famous cats all add to the charm of the place. Bar mealtimes; we estimated at this time of year, one can easily be at least a radius of 10 metres away from any other living soul.

Finally on our departure last Saturday a commendable mention for the reception staff, so polite friendly courteous and also a few top tips for next year.

We hope you take on board this review and address matters accordingly and please do praise your staff either visible to us or behind the scenes that makes this hotel and any holiday such a wonderful experience,

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ohana_guernsey

Hello and thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts. We are very pleased that you both had a good stay overall and that you had decided to choose to stay with us a second time. We appreciate and do our very best to take care of all of our guests irregardless of whether it is there 1st or 70th visit, as it is not just our job but our pleasure to do so. In regards to the concerns raised I do apologize for all inconveniences caused and can assure you that we have nothing but the highest aspirations to work hard for Hawksbill to grow from strength to strength. We appreciate your constructive points and will be using them as stepping stones to further improve our guest satisfaction. It was our pleasure taking care of you both and we do hope that we will be welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 29 June 2018

OK; let's get this said from the top. I loved this place and can't wait to return.

I read a few of the reviews on this site before going, and some of the unfavourable ones caused some trepidation, but I'm glad to say from my perspective they are complete baloney. I'll try to specifically redress the balance when I get to the end of this review as I feel that they cast this place in an unfavourable place unfairly.

This was my second visit to Hawksbill; my first was in 2003 when I loved the place, and I'm delighted to say that I loved it equally as much this time.

Hawksbill is a wonderfully quiet location where I spent two weeks that seemed to pass in the blink of an eye. It's to the west of the island, and a half hour away from the airport; it feels like you're going to the back of beyond when you transfer there. For me, it was great that it's well off the beaten track but beware if you're looking for nightlife and activities this may not be the place for you. Do your research before you book if this is what you're after.

Yes, it does look like the resort has seen better days, but I'd much prefer somewhere like this with charm and character which Hawksbill does have plenty of) than some concrete monstrosity. I hope that as part of any upgrades they don't loose the 'shabby chiq' that I think makes it so wonderful.

There were very few guests (most of whom seemed to be serial repeat guests) when I was there as June is the off season, so there was absolutely no issue in getting a good spot on the beach, and I spent the days just reading as the waves gently lapped against the shore. The only beach I used was the main beach; there is a clothing optional beach at the far end of the resort, but I didn't go there as it's not my thing. The sand on the main beach is white and fine, and there was a parasol covered in palm leaves that kept the worst of the sun off. There are plenty of sun loungers in good condition, and plenty of shade available should you not wish to bake in the sun all day.

One warning though is the sandflies on the beach; make sure you take insect repellent and use it, I used a sun block with insect repellent included (Soltan from Boots for the UK based folks), and the only times I was bitten was when I failed to reapply after a swim, so it was may own fault. You don't see any flies at all while sat on the beach.

I had one of the garden bungalows; a room only 30 meters from the beach across open grassland and past the sea view bungalows. My room didn't have any air conditioning (something I was aware of before travelling out as I'd done a bit of research before booking), but this wasn't an issue for me at all. There were wooden louvres on two sides of the room that provided a nice cooling breeze at night, and I wasn't hot at all. The windows are protected by bug screens, so I wasn't bitten at night at all. I'd taken one of the insect plug in's that I used at night to kill off any bugs that may have gotten in, and the resort will spray the room on request. If you absolutely need to have air conditioning, then don't dispair as there are air conditioned rooms available.

Bugs; I've mentioned bugs a couple of times, but they are nothing to worry about (like most places in the Caribbean) as long as you take the correct precautions; take insect repellent with you, and make sure you use it. The resort do a regular exercise of fogging/smoking (not sure what it's called) to keep the insects in check, but you're going to get them wherever you go in the Caribbean and Hawksbill isn't any worse than anywhere else.

The food was excellent and always well prepared and tasty. Sure, some of it can be a little repetitive at breakfast and lunch, but there is only so many ways you can do it; I'd rather have similar stuff each day that's done well rather than something different each day of poorer quality. Breakfasts are taken at the Tamarind Tree at the top of a rise near the reception, lunches are at the Sea Breeze near the main beach and consist of a bar-b-que and selection of vegetable dishes. Evening dinner is split between the Tamarind Tree and Sea Breeze; I much preferred the Tamarind Tree option as there seemed to be less bugs and more breeze in the evening.

There are two bars at the resort; the one by the beach at Sea Breeze is open from 10am, and stay open through into the evening when dinner is at Sea Breeze. The Tamarind Tree bar only opens in the evenings that dinner is served at the Tamarind Tree. The drinks provided on the all inclusive are local drinks, but the bar staff will provide cocktails on request. I can definitely recommend that Rum Punch and the Old Fashioned Rum Punch.

As I mentioned, it was very quiet while I was there, with the only being in the region of 24 guests in the resort; for much of the time I found that I was the only person on the beach which for me was paradise. I don't know whether this was a factor, but there was very little in the way of entertainment in the evenings; for me this was perfect as I avoid evening entertainment when I do go where it is provided. There was a steel band on one evening of the week at Sea Breeze, and a band on another evening at the Tamarind Tree. There are a couple of keyboard players come in on other evenings to play as you're eating your evening meal.

On to the staff; I couldn't have asked for a more friendly, helpful and thoughtful team to look after me on my stay. When I did have the odd issue (there were a couple of issues with the room when I first arrived) someone was along to resolve then in less than a quarter of an hour. In my book, the staff were all absolute stars.

The other thing that has to be mentioned is wi-fi ..... or rather the lack of it. The only wi-fi connection that I could get was near to the reception / Tamarind Tree area, and then I wasn't getting much bandwidth. Don't get me wrong; this isn't a gripe because for a Luddite like me me being off the grid is totally blissful! There was enough bandwidth to do what I needed to, but it was all a bit slow. Some corporate guests I med did have a gadget that gave them access across the site, but from a quick enquiry it looked like these were only for corporate guests, although it was suggested that I may be able to get one for a cost ...... I didn't because I liked the idea of being able to get away from the internet!

On to wildlife .....there are sheep (or possibly goats) that get into the site in the evenings, and where they go they do leave droppings. The resort does a fine job of clearing the pathways, but the grasslands are left and you have to be a little careful where you put your feet so that don't collect small packages on your soles. There have been some comments posted about the droppigs, but take some responsibilty people, pay attention to where you're going and try not to step in them!

And so, to the debunk that I promised you. People have said:-
- The staff are miserable and unhelpful ..... not my experience at all; the staff couldn't have been more polite, cheerful and helpful if they'd tried. If you think they've been otherwise you you, perhaps you should look at yourselt to understand what's caused that?
- Insects and getting bitten .... yes, I did get bitten, but that was mu own fault. Do some research and bring the necessary deterrents that you need anywhere in the Caribbean, and make sure that you're not a numpty like me in failing to reapply them as you should
- the place is run down .... poppycock. yes, it's a bit shappy and older in places, but that gives it a charm and atmosphere that for me is wonderful. It has character, and you don't get that without some maturity.
- The food is inedible (that's a direct quite from one review) .... I couldn't disagree more from my two weeks; mealtimes was something always to look forward to, and on the buffet days I had real problems exercising portion control.
- there are droppings everywhere .... cr@p! Yes; the sheep do leave droppings from their daily visits, but the resort staff do a great job in keeping the pathways clear. On the grass areas I can see how you might step into droppings if you're not looking where you're going, but take some responsibility from where you're putting your feet.

Some people have claimed to have a miserable time at Hawksbill, but that isn't the feeling I've come away with, and from the number of serial return guests who were there (several of whom seem to return several times a year) isn't a representative reflection. It's off how you can have hundreds of positive reports, but it's the one bad report someone has posted that sticks in your mind.

Hawksbill is at the budget end of the All Inclusive spectrum, and if you want gold plated taps, top brands to drink and caviar served with every meal (OK, I accept that I'v gone a little over the top with that last one) then pay the big money and go somewhere else. I've stayed at several all inclusive resorts in this price bracket over the years, and can report that Hawksbill compared favourably when set against the rest.

If you're like me; someone who wants a quiet and offline two weeks in a beautiful paradise, then this is the place for you.I will be coming back for two more weeks of this because it was really great.

Room Tip: The garden View room that I had didn't have any air conditioning, but other room types do.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
16  Thank Bryan Q
Ammielle M, Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2018

Hello Bryan, thank you for taking the time to write such detailed review of your stay with us at Hawksbill. We are very pleased that you had a great time, minus it passing too quickly. Most of our guests, both first timers and repeaters always seem to feel the same way, it is said that 'time flies when you're having fun' but I would like to add 'or when your are sipping rum punches and listening to the waves'. We are definitely not a 5* hotel with marble and chandeliers everywhere, we are simply put an authentic, unpretentious Antiguan hotel offering a relaxing escape in a breathtaking location. It was lovely having you return again and we will be waiting to welcome you home the next time you arrive.

Reviewed 25 June 2018

My husband and I have been coming to Hawksbill since 2004 and have just returned
from our 18th visit! We keep coming back because of the beauty of the location, the serenity, the wonderful staff, and because it truly is a place to completely relax and unplug from the world. We are planning our 19th visit in December!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank barbara377
Ammielle M, Manager at Hawksbill by Rex Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2018

Hello Barbara thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at Hawksbill. We are so very pleased that you and Stuart had a great time and that we have been your choice year after year as your home away from home.We take so much pride in knowing that we have played a part in our guests having a wonderful holiday and never tire of seeing their smiles. It was our pleasure taking care of you and we will be looking forward to seeing you both in December to take good care of you again.