“Full disappointment”
Review of The Burrow

The Burrow
Ranked #1 of 1 Tarxien B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 October 2016

I wish I could find something positive to say... Unfortunately, the 2 days that I spent at the Burrows were a source of disappointment and resentment in every aspect.

Booking : bookin on line through the booking sites was not available. Hence, I made the reservation on the phone. I sent an email to confirm, but never received the promised answer with the details on how to reach the place.
Reception : I was welcomed by these words : you are lucky that I am here, because normally, I start my service in 20 minutes, at 4 pm. Actually, I didnt feel lucky, I was just pissed off because I had been waiting a bus at the airport for nearly an hour, which when he finally showed up, closed its door to my nose, supposedly because it was full... Next one in an hour. So I took a cab. The driver was on the phone while driving. He brought me first to a wrong place, and dared yelling at me because I had not given him the correct address !! And of course, the receptionist was not aware of my reservation !

Room : the room was very small, no place to remit the suitcase, and.... No bathroom !! What I was told to consider as a bathroom was a tiled 1.5 square meter space nested under the stairs, filled with a toilet, a 30 cm wide sink and a shower, which I had to share with someone else ! The worst is that it was located at the ground floor : hence I would travel the stairs mornings and evenings with towel, toothbrush and soap in hand, only to find that the bathroon was already occupied !
Breakfast : one word : indigent
The premises : stuffing an old house with old things is not sufficient to make it a high style house. Unfortunately, the Burrows is a narrow place : every space in the house is too small : it may look cosy at first glance : it is just stifling to live in.

The environment : the village of Tarxien is a no-place : nothing to see, nothing to do, not a single restaurant around, but one fast-food (not bad actually)10 minutes walk from the house. Forget about the possibility of spending an evening there ! You would have to take the bus to reach the city !
Cost : I was charged 45 € per night. Given the service I was given, I consider it a scandalous price.

Room Tip: A personal vehicle is a must. But, then, I wonder about parking...
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
4  Thank sablorange

Reviewed 26 August 2016

Stayed at the burrows for one night got there at 16:00 hours and left at0:5.30 in the morning so they new we would miss breakfast has I had told them many weeks before on our arrival there was no breakfast package put a side for us there is no water in your room, the shared bathroom was a joke a toilet hand basin and shower in what was an under stair cupboard this bathroom has to be for the borrowers you know the little people who live under the floor boards on top of that you are watched on camera ie {big brother}

Room Tip: For gods sake make sure you get the en-suite if you cannot then my advice is don't book
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen P
Reviewed 24 August 2016

Stayed at The Burrow for two nights, and boy do I wish we could have stayed longer! The house is very old and filled with antique furniture and beautiful little trinkets. Would that I could have been a child in that house, every time I rounded a corner I would get distracted by a new, beautiful thing and with the heavy, old stone walls and stairs it did indeed feel like a magical burrow!

Chiara, the hostess, was in touch prior to our arrival to make sure we knew when the check-in times were, in case we needed early check-in, and to ask if we needed help with airport transfer. This was a very nice touch that made me feel welcome right away. When we did arrive, check-in was a breeze!

We stayed in the "budget room", besides the dining room, and it was very nice with an old wooden bed and dresser. There was a window to the courtyard, but as it's a small yard surrounded by tall walls the room does not get much sunlight. However, it is well lit if you turn on the electrical lights. There was no AC (which we knew from the beginning, no surprises there), but there was a nice, sturdy table fan which circulated the air well enough. We had a shared bathroom (also informed of that up front, never had a problem with it being busy), a little away from the room, and it was the funniest little room, tucked underneath the stairs - be aware that you'll probably have to crouch down if you're tall! Also, bear in mind that with it being an old house drying anything indoors can be hard as the humidity level is hard to control, so if you have wet clothes, towels or bathing suits, I would ask about a good place to dry them.

We were up before 8 every day, so we never had a problem with people eating breakfast just outside the room, but it is quite easy to hear what's going on outside, so if you want to sleep in I'd suggest getting another room. We were never bothered by noise during the evenings or nights. The breakfast, by the way, is lovely and varied and the silverware and everything is just adorable!

As other reviewers have mentioned there are no shops close by, but if you're willing to walk a bit it's fairly easy to find fast food, water and snacks etc and if you want restaurants there are several bus stops close by. There is also a well stocked, reasonably priced honesty bar at the hotel!

The Hal Saflieni Hypogeum and Tarxien Temples are also within walking distance.

We checked out very early in the morning as we were catching a flight, and it was absolutely no problem. We used the airport transfer service provided, which was €20. The driver was on time, friendly and the car was nice and clean.

Chiara, the hostess, was kind, funny and extremely helpful! She obviously takes great pride in the place and for good reason! It truly is remarkable, if you're into the quaint, old-fashioned type of hotel. We will most definitely be returning next time we go to Malta, hopefully for a longer stay!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DorkMatter
Reviewed 6 August 2016

I never actually got to stay here as they refused my debit card payment on two occasions. I then after attempting twice to pre-authorise my card with them and being told it wasn't working, informed them that I DIDN'T have an alternative card. Then two days later I had £78 removed from my account by them so all along my debit card WAS pre-authorised!

Then when I informed both my bank and booking.com who I booked it through I was refunded and told I wouldn't be charged anything by the hotel. But guess what, three days later I was yet again charged by the hotel £78. So they justified this first time as I was a "no show", about odd that as I wasn't due to arrive till the 6th of August and was charged first time on the 30th of July. So simple equation here, work it out!

Second time I was charged probably out of pure spite as booking.com had confirmed to me the booking was cancelled and I wouldn't be charged further. Thankfully I saved that email from them as proof.

No idea what the hotel is like to stay in, it might be nice for all I know but they way they run their business is shoddy and underhanded. No business skills or customer skills whatsoever. No doubt get some defensive whiney reply from them but my integrity is intact as I have just told the truth about how they deal with customers.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Alex M
theburrow, Owner at The Burrow, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2016

Dear Alex,
You booked a room through Booking.com. You were advised that it is our policy to preauthorise your card. We tried to preauthorise your card but this was declined. We asked you to supply another card and once again this was declined. We asked you if you intended to honour your reservation. You stated that you did not have a credit card but you did not express your intention and you did not cancel your reservation. Our third attempt at preauthorising your card worked and we accepted your reservation as valid.
Never at any point did we charge your card. Never at any point did you cancel your reservation.
On the 6th August you did not show up and we charged your card the no show fee as is our policy.
We were committed to keep a room available for you and we did exactly that. How would you have felt if you turned up and we did not honour your reservation.
You have reviewed us for a service you did not receive.

Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

Guest house is located in an old building and it's designed in an old style as well. It's clean. And these are the only adventages. Building is old, so you can hear every whisper of your neighbours. And also private bathroom doesn't mean it's bathroom inside your room, so you need to go outside to take a bath - sorry. Breakfast is poor if you will go after 9am (it starts at 8:30), so basically you can have nothing to eat if you will go to late - sorry. NO WIFI INSIDE A ROOM!!!! Well, you can try to catch it in the window but...you know - information that wifi is available in all rooms is just a lie. At 7am there is a mandatory wake up every day, because somebody starts to drill. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT. People who work on the reception are very unfriendly... From the begining we have felt that they don't care about guests at all. They were mean and what was totally unacceptable - they were sneaking inside our closet!! So dear future guests - no privacy in here. Never again! You will not rest in this place....

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank majbea
theburrow, Owner at The Burrow, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2016

Dear Madam,
We are of course very disappointed at your negative review. I am afraid that when choosing The Burrow you chose wrongly for the following reasons:
You chose a room with private external bathroom and this was clear from the onset. You could have chosen an en-suite if this suited your requirements better.
We are proud of our breakfast selection and receive much praise for it.
Your family including your baby enjoyed breakfast in our breakfast room and upstairs in our lounge and your bedroom. On your departure we discovered a sofa stained with watermelon and yogurt.
You insisted on removing the mattress protector from your bed even though we advised you that this is there for the health and safety of our customers.
You allowed your son to play with our furniture and to ram an antique wooden cradle into all furniture in sight. These are now scratched and spoilt.
Unlike your comments we were indeed very pleasant with your family and this whilst our customers complained about you disturbing the quiet at all times.
We agree that you should not have chosen The Burrow for your stay. Whilst we welcome children, we expect normal behaviour and supervision and respect towards our property.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarxien
6.6 km away
Two Pillows Boutique Hostel
2.1 km away
Julesy's BnB
Julesy's BnB
#1 of 2 in Cospicua (Bormla)

Been to The Burrow? Share your experiences!