“THE SHARED BATHROOM WAS POOR AT BEST”
Review of The Burrow

The Burrow
Ranked #1 of 1 Tarxien B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 August 2016

Stayed at the burrows for one night got there at 16:00 hours and left at0:5.30 in the morning so they new we would miss breakfast has I had told them many weeks before on our arrival there was no breakfast package put a side for us there is no water in your room, the shared bathroom was a joke a toilet hand basin and shower in what was an under stair cupboard this bathroom has to be for the borrowers you know the little people who live under the floor boards on top of that you are watched on camera ie {big brother}

Room Tip: For gods sake make sure you get the en-suite if you cannot then my advice is don't book
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stephen P

Reviewed 24 August 2016

Stayed at The Burrow for two nights, and boy do I wish we could have stayed longer! The house is very old and filled with antique furniture and beautiful little trinkets. Would that I could have been a child in that house, every time I rounded a corner I would get distracted by a new, beautiful thing and with the heavy, old stone walls and stairs it did indeed feel like a magical burrow!

Chiara, the hostess, was in touch prior to our arrival to make sure we knew when the check-in times were, in case we needed early check-in, and to ask if we needed help with airport transfer. This was a very nice touch that made me feel welcome right away. When we did arrive, check-in was a breeze!

We stayed in the "budget room", besides the dining room, and it was very nice with an old wooden bed and dresser. There was a window to the courtyard, but as it's a small yard surrounded by tall walls the room does not get much sunlight. However, it is well lit if you turn on the electrical lights. There was no AC (which we knew from the beginning, no surprises there), but there was a nice, sturdy table fan which circulated the air well enough. We had a shared bathroom (also informed of that up front, never had a problem with it being busy), a little away from the room, and it was the funniest little room, tucked underneath the stairs - be aware that you'll probably have to crouch down if you're tall! Also, bear in mind that with it being an old house drying anything indoors can be hard as the humidity level is hard to control, so if you have wet clothes, towels or bathing suits, I would ask about a good place to dry them.

We were up before 8 every day, so we never had a problem with people eating breakfast just outside the room, but it is quite easy to hear what's going on outside, so if you want to sleep in I'd suggest getting another room. We were never bothered by noise during the evenings or nights. The breakfast, by the way, is lovely and varied and the silverware and everything is just adorable!

As other reviewers have mentioned there are no shops close by, but if you're willing to walk a bit it's fairly easy to find fast food, water and snacks etc and if you want restaurants there are several bus stops close by. There is also a well stocked, reasonably priced honesty bar at the hotel!

The Hal Saflieni Hypogeum and Tarxien Temples are also within walking distance.

We checked out very early in the morning as we were catching a flight, and it was absolutely no problem. We used the airport transfer service provided, which was €20. The driver was on time, friendly and the car was nice and clean.

Chiara, the hostess, was kind, funny and extremely helpful! She obviously takes great pride in the place and for good reason! It truly is remarkable, if you're into the quaint, old-fashioned type of hotel. We will most definitely be returning next time we go to Malta, hopefully for a longer stay!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DorkMatter
Reviewed 6 August 2016

I never actually got to stay here as they refused my debit card payment on two occasions. I then after attempting twice to pre-authorise my card with them and being told it wasn't working, informed them that I DIDN'T have an alternative card. Then two days later I had £78 removed from my account by them so all along my debit card WAS pre-authorised!

Then when I informed both my bank and booking.com who I booked it through I was refunded and told I wouldn't be charged anything by the hotel. But guess what, three days later I was yet again charged by the hotel £78. So they justified this first time as I was a "no show", about odd that as I wasn't due to arrive till the 6th of August and was charged first time on the 30th of July. So simple equation here, work it out!

Second time I was charged probably out of pure spite as booking.com had confirmed to me the booking was cancelled and I wouldn't be charged further. Thankfully I saved that email from them as proof.

No idea what the hotel is like to stay in, it might be nice for all I know but they way they run their business is shoddy and underhanded. No business skills or customer skills whatsoever. No doubt get some defensive whiney reply from them but my integrity is intact as I have just told the truth about how they deal with customers.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Alex M
theburrow, Owner at The Burrow, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2016

Dear Alex,
You booked a room through Booking.com. You were advised that it is our policy to preauthorise your card. We tried to preauthorise your card but this was declined. We asked you to supply another card and once again this was declined. We asked you if you intended to honour your reservation. You stated that you did not have a credit card but you did not express your intention and you did not cancel your reservation. Our third attempt at preauthorising your card worked and we accepted your reservation as valid.
Never at any point did we charge your card. Never at any point did you cancel your reservation.
On the 6th August you did not show up and we charged your card the no show fee as is our policy.
We were committed to keep a room available for you and we did exactly that. How would you have felt if you turned up and we did not honour your reservation.
You have reviewed us for a service you did not receive.

Reviewed 3 August 2016 via mobile

Guest house is located in an old building and it's designed in an old style as well. It's clean. And these are the only adventages. Building is old, so you can hear every whisper of your neighbours. And also private bathroom doesn't mean it's bathroom inside your room, so you need to go outside to take a bath - sorry. Breakfast is poor if you will go after 9am (it starts at 8:30), so basically you can have nothing to eat if you will go to late - sorry. NO WIFI INSIDE A ROOM!!!! Well, you can try to catch it in the window but...you know - information that wifi is available in all rooms is just a lie. At 7am there is a mandatory wake up every day, because somebody starts to drill. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT. People who work on the reception are very unfriendly... From the begining we have felt that they don't care about guests at all. They were mean and what was totally unacceptable - they were sneaking inside our closet!! So dear future guests - no privacy in here. Never again! You will not rest in this place....

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank majbea
theburrow, Owner at The Burrow, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2016

Dear Madam,
We are of course very disappointed at your negative review. I am afraid that when choosing The Burrow you chose wrongly for the following reasons:
You chose a room with private external bathroom and this was clear from the onset. You could have chosen an en-suite if this suited your requirements better.
We are proud of our breakfast selection and receive much praise for it.
Your family including your baby enjoyed breakfast in our breakfast room and upstairs in our lounge and your bedroom. On your departure we discovered a sofa stained with watermelon and yogurt.
You insisted on removing the mattress protector from your bed even though we advised you that this is there for the health and safety of our customers.
You allowed your son to play with our furniture and to ram an antique wooden cradle into all furniture in sight. These are now scratched and spoilt.
Unlike your comments we were indeed very pleasant with your family and this whilst our customers complained about you disturbing the quiet at all times.
We agree that you should not have chosen The Burrow for your stay. Whilst we welcome children, we expect normal behaviour and supervision and respect towards our property.

Reviewed 13 July 2016

Our stay at The Burrow was delightful. We stayed in the Suite which was lovely. The room and bathroom was clean, but could use a daily sweep & mop (please don't the staff does not attend to your room daily unless requested). We drove ourselves and didn't have any difficulty finding the location on our GPS (Google Maps), but occasionally had difficulty getting to it because the GPS didn't seem to recognize that some streets have one-way traffic. Depending on how we were approaching The Burrow, it could sometimes take us awhile to navigate to a different area so we could get on the one-way road.

Breakfast was great. There is a nice variety of food available and is served from 8:30-10:00. The coffee is also fantastic! The room is decently sized, however there are very large tables in the room and it makes getting your breakfast with other people a bit of a dance. The other guests we met were all very lovely and the manager, a young French girl Manon, was great. She provided excellent conversation & advice on where to go.

There are no restaurants or shops close to the B&B, which I already knew based on other's reviews. I did honestly assume there would be some sort of corner market, but when we arrived on a Sunday and couldn't find a bottle of water anywhere, it was very frustrating. Thankfully Manon was very kind to comp us two cold bottles when we checked in.

The Burrow has an honesty bar - a great selection of little drink & snack items that you are free to take as you like and write your name, room number & price on a sheet of paper nearby.

We left for one night to fly to Sicily and used The Burrow's recommended cab company (MCabs). It was €20 and worth it. We had two different drivers for drop-off & pick-up and both were very courteous and their cars were very clean. They were prompt in arrival and the one who picked us up from the airport had our name on a placecard, easily to find.

Note that while the address you see is St. Mary Street - you may have difficulty finding it (my husband's GPS did) because the map didn't use the English variation. The actual road name is Triq Santa Marija. Keep this in mind to avoid any frustration.

The AC in our room was fantastic, which was very important because it was HOT when we went. There doesn't really appear to be AC in the rest of the house (ie: the breakfast room) which could be a tad uncomfortable. WiFi (free) is only available in the lobby and not in the rooms, but we did not find this to be a problem.

Since we didn't arrive by bus or use public transport, I can't comment on how close it is to a bus stop or anything.

Overall, we loved our stay. The home was beautiful, staff kind, food delicious and we would absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: Don't get the room off the breakfast room - I imagine it would be very noisy in the morning. I...
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tarxien
6.6 km away
Two Pillows Boutique Hostel
2.1 km away
Julesy's BnB
Julesy's BnB
#1 of 2 in Cospicua (Bormla)

Been to The Burrow? Share your experiences!