“Good food in front of a log fire”
Review of Galloways Bar

Galloways Bar
Ranked #4 of 5 Restaurants in Gilsland
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Visited with my wife, managed to bag the sofa in front of a lovely log fire where we enjoyed snacks and drinks. Good choice of drinks available and they serve a carvery on a Sunday which, according to people we spoke with is extremely good value for money.

Date of visit: September 2017

Reviewed 19 March 2017 via mobile

Bar staff and restaurant absolutely lovely nothing was too much trouble even though we were a large party wish more restaurants had staff this good. Delicious roasts and vegetables just a perfect family Sunday lunch as good as home made. Fantastic value to boot will definitely be back.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

I've meant to post a review on what is now the Gilsland Hall hotel for years - as I have been going there off and on for 15 years or so.

We were there today for Sunday carvery - I can say that it's continually over the years been no less than a 10 out of 10 - absolutely terrific.

Four choices of beautifully cooked roast joints - cut like door stops usually.

This place is unlike better known Carvery establishments where the meat is cut wafer thin and you can only return for veg and potato. Here if you can manage it - then you return for meat, veg, potato whatever you can manage.

An absolute Sunday carvery treat, and did I mention it's only £9 for the main course !

Great staff - great food .

For me - the best Sunday carvery I've ever had .

1  Thank OoohAhCantona
Reviewed 23 December 2016

This bar & restaurant is in a hotel which largely takes elderly coach trippers. You can tell - it's all disabled tackle in the bathrooms and deadly Axminster decor with massively overheated rooms. The staff hate their jobs. The food is very old fashioned although my buffet dinner was to my surprise, well cooked and good value. The whole place feels like the atmosphere of an underpopulated old people's home. Not my cup of tea. The bar doesn't have anything resembling craft beer or decent wine. Tetleys or Worthington's bitter style, although the barman was friendly and seemed pleased to be serving someone under 80. Deadly!

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed 11 November 2016

People seem to come for miles to eat at the Gilsland Spa Sunday Carvery, although they don't seem to write a review! Judging by the number of diners and the need to book it really is worth a visit. The food is excellent with a choice of up to four meats and plentiful Vegetables and Potatoes.I know in some places you can go up for second helpings of just Veg but here you can have two full carveries if you have got enough space for them. The deserts are also really tempting but we were all stuffed! There is a really good atmosphere in the main dining room buzzing with a lot of very satisfied customers. Highly recommended.

Date of visit: November 2016