“Despite being closed due to Covid.....”
Review of The Samson Inn

The Samson Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Gilsland
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 September 2020

The Samson Inn chefs - Maurice and Sara - have provided over 200 take-away evening meals for my B&B guests over the past weeks. Great food and an essential service. Thank you to all the staff who are pulling this together, Denise & Gerry

Date of visit: August 2020
Write a reviewReviews (508)

Reviewed 8 September 2020

Gilsland's only Inn and I think we got there on a bad day. This was our last night on a 4 day walk along Hadrian's Wall. We had a comfortable night in our room and the staff were friendly and helpful. However, the food was not up too much. Fish pie was all potato and the lamb hotpot was undercooked and had too much untrimmed lamb fat in it. Breakfast was lumpy scrambled egg, and some salmon thrown on top of it. Good selection of ales at the bar but the website ordering process (covid) was clumsy and hard to work (no way to order breakfast on line except by a cut and paste process). After three efficient and accessible experiences for meals/beds in previous B&Bs on our walk the Samson Inn scored low marks for its approach to the covid problem - seriously over engineered!

Date of visit: September 2020
Reviewed 1 September 2020 via mobile

Lovely people, great food! We had a take away for four (the pub is closed) which was really nice. 2of us are vegan and our needs were perfectly catered for, including breakfast. We had chestnut & mushroom pie with chips & veg, and coconut milk rice pudding which was yum. Room was clean and comfortable.

1  Thank 450chrissiec
Reviewed 28 August 2020

Pub itself ids still closed but the chefs who supplied lovely dinners to our B&B in Gilsland deserve a special mention. Thank you

Reviewed 23 August 2020

Staying at the Brookside B&B, we had dinner delivered from the Samson Inn. I thought I was in heaven after the fish pie. It was creamy, had big chunks of fish and the most delightfully light mash on top. Yum.

I had ordered the apple and cinnamon crumble for dessert with trepidation. I'm not a lover of cinnamon. My mum never added anything to her apple pies or her crumbles except a hint of clove. So often there's so much cinnamon you can't taste the apple. Except for the fact that it (almost) is my life's mission to test every decent apple dessert going I would have ducked this one out.

Thank goodness I didn't!

There was just the slightest hint of cinnamon. Just enough to get enhance the apple flavour. Delicious! And served with egg custard.

Yum.