“It may have been nice 20 years ago.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Mirage Resort

Grand Mirage Resort
Ranked #9 of 30 Hotels in Tanjung Benoa
Charlotte, North Carolina
“It may have been nice 20 years ago.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

This hotel in Nusa Dua is in a very prominent location and the lobby is beautiful but there are drawbacks. The beach is nice and the water tranquil but there are a number of things which could be improved.
1. It needs a makeover. The paint is coming off walls and the pool bar needs updated.
2. The beds suck. They are flimsy and are NOT comfortable. I realize that beds vary from country to country but I am sure the FOUR SEASONS doesn't have beds this bad. They sag.
3. As a gay male, the internet blocks any site with the word GAY in it, come on, this is 2012.
4. The spa is very nice but they use river rock on the floor with large tiles to walk on. Even in the spa room, there are rocks so it is noisy versus being quiet and tranquil. It is as if you are hiking through a rock quarry. Get rid of the rocks and it would be fine.
5. put down a mat when getting out of the shower, oil on feet and water on marble don't make for a good situation. It is very slippery.

Overall, this place is average. A herd of Russians and Austrailians with a few Japanese mixed in and lots of kids. I would have preferred a hotel with less kids.

The people are nice and the staff is semi attentive. For instance, I like COCA COLA in the morning for breakfast. The waitress tried to say I had to wait till 11 am. to have a coke, I told her go get me one with ice, and she did after I told her this is a hotel, get me a coke.

The breakfast bar is great. I would rate it a 10 out of 10, great selection and clean.

Room Tip: Any room facing the ocean would be a good choice. My room faced the sidethe hotel but was quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
      Location
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
1 Thank NCWorldTraveler1963
Juan Antonio S, General Manager at Grand Mirage Resort, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear NCWorldTraveler1963,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our Tripadvisor page. I am sorry to hear that our service has not fulfilled your satisfaction.

Regarding your comment about makeover, I just want to inform you that we have already done some renovations program in most parts of our property. Preventive maintenance is done regularly to keep our facilities in the best condition.

I apologies about your bed set up, according to you it did not meet your expectation and we will observe the situation to take corrective measures, so we could improve our quality, facilities & service. However, some of our rooms have been renovated and we put a nice and comfortable new bed in every room and Suite to fulfill our guests’ satisfaction. Now beds for the rest of the hotel room have been already ordered and we will change all of them as soon as we receive them.

About the internet blocking on gay sites, I really understand your situation, but unfortunately the local government has blocked these websites.

Our spa has used the river rocks over many years as natural elements of our spa decoration and actually that is good for foot reflexology. I will share your idea to our Thalasso Spa General Manager, and we take good notes of your comments.

Thank you for your advice about the mat in the bathroom, it is very helpful for us to know. I realize that safety factor is number one and of course we want to make our guests feel secure and comfortable. I would like to inform that actually we always put a bath mat in every bathroom in all guest rooms and suites, but since you did not have it during your stay, I will investigate this immediately to take corrective measures immediately.

Since our hotel is a family friendly hotel, I hope you understand that kids with other family member in diverse ages are the major guests in our hotel. I hope it would not deter you from future visits to our property. To make your next visit a pleasant one, please contact me at: gm@grandmirae.com for further arrangements.

Thanks again for your review.

Juan Antonio Sanchez

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

Firstly let me start out by saying that I read all the reviews before we stayed here. The thing that became obvious is the people that said it was very expensive were right "IF" they did not do the All inclusive. If your not doing an all inclusive deal the food and drinks are very expensive. So i would HIGHLY recommend doing the all inclusive deals.

We stayed in the Ocean View Suite which was a bit more expensive but because we have a baby it gave us a bit more room. The room was lovely and the turn down service brought freash towels every evening.

The 4 restruants all had great food, the beef tenderloin was absolutely increadable at the Jungkung grill and room service. I wish they had have had more Indonesian food on the menu's but the menu's are more focused on a broadspectrum of nationalitys. Again I must say that of the items they do have on the menu's all the ones we tried were fantastic.

We were also greated with a STACK of Activity complementary activity cards to many to use almost. It would have been nice to pick and choose which ones we wanted, other people on other tours got different ativitys than us. Which isn't really a complaint more of a suggestion.

All in all the Hotel was fantastic and we will stay there again.

As for the Vendors in the hotel... Avoid the vendors on the first floor, the vendors on the second floor near the lobby sell the same things at about 1/3 of the price. I bought sunscreen on the frist floor for 250 000 ( ~$26USD) , only to find it on the second floor for 110 000 ($12USD). I was extremely pissed off when i saw this.. but i want to think that this is nothing to do with the hotel and all to do with the vendors themselves...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
7 Thank JPeach_12
Juan Antonio S, General Manager at Grand Mirage Resort, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear JPeach_12,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your most valued review to our property. It will become a very helpful resource for our future guests who read this comment.

I am personally glad that you and your family had enjoy your time during your stay in our resort, it was a pleasure for us and highly appreciate your recommendation about the all inclusive and your positive review about the food, service and our scheduled activities. Apologies for the vendor problem that may spoil your holiday, but we never had any intention to make you and your family felt unhappy. Indeed, the vendors are from outside the hotel operation, but I really appreciate your comments, so we can also take action with their next contract renovation.

At anytime, we will be happy to welcoming you back to this resort, hopefully in the near future.

Thanks again for your review and see you soon.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

We stayed here for our honeymoon in late Jan we were after a nice quite hotel in a nice location and we got it we were able to relax by the pool go tot he swim up bar enjoy a cocktail then float back. The room was nice and well maintained we were in a deluxe ocean room. Very easy to get to Turtle island and do watersports if thats your thing as benoa is known for water sport activities.
the local shops had what we required cheaper drinks that we brought to our room and a bit of shopping. Chopsticks resturant is great and only next door int he club mirage hotel.
Breakfast each morning was great.

6 Thank KristyT151
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

We loved the staff they were always smiling and very friendly, The beach is the nicest beach on the strip of hotels with lots of activities. The breakfast was great with lots of variety and lots for vegetarians. The hotel is close to some great restuarants as well. The rooms are clean and our towels were changed twice daily and a flower was left when they did the turn down service. On my birthday they left me a cake. What a nice surprise. Thank you!

5 Thank KHRMLWM
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

Stayed at Grand Mirage, Tanjung Benoa, Bali for 4 nights but I have to say I left the hotel with a bit of disappointment. The hotel facilties (room, restaurantes, lobby, etc) need some renovation but what got me the most was the attitude by staff members. I just felt they generally looked uninterested, didn't like what they did, couldn't care less, etc. I could see it because I have been in the hotel industry for 20 years myself. We booked a romantic ocean/pool view king bedded room, which turned out to be booked out on the day of our arrival, which would have been ok if the receptionist had actually told us that. Instead, the receptionist left that task to our porter to explain, when we got to our room. Our porter told us that because the room we had booked was over-sold, we would have to stay in a different room. I found it a little bit cowardly and disnhonest of the front office team. I was once a hotel receptionist and find it a bit unacceptable.
Anyway, the room and the overall facilties (restaurants) are a little bit tired, perhaps good renovation would help.
What I would like to highlight is the general indifference I felt from the staff members I came across. They were just not so interested in assisting me. I don't think I was in any way a difficult guest (Being a hotel staff member myself, I know what can be/cannot be done in hotels!!).
Every hotel gets old, you can't help it. But it is the people (staff members) who make or breal the guest's experience. On that note, I am very sadly forced to say that Grand Mirage (at least the time I stayed there), did not particularly "cut it" from my point of view.... Sadly, I don't think I would recommend this hotel to my friends....

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JimmySydney01
Dear Jimmy Sidney 01,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review on our Tripadvisor page. I offer you my most sincere apologies for the couple of inconveniences during your stay at the Grand Mirage Resort. It was never the intention of our management or any staff member to deliver you a negative experience in our property.

Your review is really helpful for us to indicate any obstacles in our property and I would take necessary actions to investigate this problem according to your comments about the attitude of some of our staff. We always promise our guests to improve our quality in service and every aspect in our resort.

I hope it would not deter you from any visits in the future and to ensure your vacation will be pleasurable in our resort, please do not hesitate to contact me at :gm@grandmirage.com for further arrangements.

Once again, please accept my deepest apologize and thank you very much for your comments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanjung Benoa
AYANA Resort and Spa
AYANA Resort and Spa
#13 of 55 in Jimbaran
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,340 reviews

Been to Grand Mirage Resort? Share your experiences!