“Eco-Conscious, shabby-chic, fabulous place to stay!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kingston
The Black Range Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Kingston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 October 2009

My mother and I stayed at Black Range Lodge last week -- just for one night. I think we were both pleasantly surprised when we went up the stairs to see out room.......you never know what to expect when you only know a place from the internet! We had the opportunity to see ALL of the rooms since there was only one other person staying that night -- each room was unique, but all of them were very nice! We stayed in room 3 with 2 beds in separate rooms, a very nice bathtub and a porch with a cat! We brought our own food from home to make dinner and sat around talking with Catherine, Jur and another guest all night. In the morning Tom made us a fabulous breakfast with wonderful coffee, waffles, fruit, homemade bread and eggs. Yum! The grounds were very much under construction, but fun to roam around nonetheless. The strawbale house up the hill which Jur is working on this Fall was very cool to see and the chickens were also fun to watch.

We highly recommend staying at the lodge and we will definitely be back for another visit!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank xjgrl

Reviewed 12 August 2009

I'm not sure why other posters have written such rave reviews about the Black Range Lodge. It's old (dates back to the 1880s), and if that's all it takes to make a great B&B, then this one is everybody's dream. It takes more than that for me. Old is one thing; dirty, quite another.

We brought a dog; it crawled under the bed and minutes later came out covered in dust bunnies. I tried to open a window; couldn't get to it because of the spiderwebs. The bathroom was so small you had to go outside to change your mind. All the rooms in the lodge are upstairs; this place is definitely not handicap-accessible. It was hotter than heck upstairs, but there were no fans in any of the rooms.

There was a party the night we were there; we weren't invited (and that's OK), but the party was on the balcony right outside our room (there are quite a few other locations to party) and kept going in full swing till long after 10:30 p.m. The owners never did a thing to tone it down.

Speaking of the owners, they never introduced themselves to us; I had to guess who he was (never met her) by the questions he asked us. And the typical gourmet breakfast one can normally expect at a B&B? Not here. We ate in the kitchen which looked like it hadn't been cleaned since they cleaned under our bed.

And there's stuff everywhere. It looks like the place was built in the middle of a junkyard, and nothing's been moved since then. Inside it looks like a used furniture store. I asked if I could watch the downstairs TV and was told 'no', that it wasn't for guests. Really nasty. Given the choice to stay anywhere else, I'd avoid this place.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sunny933
blackrange, owner at The Black Range Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2009

As an innkeeper with the comfort of my guests always my first priority, I appreciate the opportunity to respond to needs or problems as they occur. In this case, nothing was said at the time, so we had no chance to correct any of the issues described in this review.

It's rare for me not to greet guests personally. On this occasion we were on a shopping trip, and our competent manager Tom handled check-ins and breakfast. He reported no problems, just our normal friendly and outgoing guests. There was no special party happening, but I did hear that other guests were stargazing off of the common balcony that adjoins the suite these guests occupied.

This suite normally catches the cooling mountain breezes, and a fan was available for the asking. Our breakfast was as advertised on our website.

As for the cleanliness issues, well, I believe there was some exaggeration in this regard. (Trust a dog to chase the dust bunnies out from under the bed!) Our Lodge is inherently rustic, but we do our best to keep the "web masters" outside where they belong. As much as I appreciate the zen aesthetic, after 125 years, our Lodge is still a work in progress. And sometimes our work is interrupted to welcome people at the door.

Thank you for the opportunity to respond - I only wish I could have attended to these issues personally at the time.

Reviewed 17 June 2009

Spent 2 nights here last month, the lodge dates back to the 1880s and is situated in a town of less than 40. The owners were very friendly, also resident dogs and cat. Very peaceful scenic setting, abundant healthy tasteful breakfasts. Ideal for those of us who like the road less travelled.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zonasaran
Reviewed 5 June 2009

My husband and I are in the military and we love to travel. We had a four day weekend and we decided to stay here because we went hiking around the trails near the gila national forrest. The owners are so friendly and welcoming! We all made dinner and shared it. And for breakfast they made us a wonderful breakfast with the eggs from the own chickens and some yummy homemade sour dough waffles. It was really great. The next day we went hiking which was all day. When we came back to the lodge all we wanted was to rest. So we went to are room and just relaxed the night away the only thing was I wish there was AC that night because I wasn't feeling very well after hiking. But for the most part it is cool... i was just overheated and dehydrated from hiking.
On the positive side it was a wonderful experience, it was romantic, fun, relaxing and and I will never forget it. The owners and staff were wonderful and I would recommend the BRL to anyone who wants to experience a getaway!!!!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank t_alvey
Reviewed 4 September 2007

A group of us from Tucson recently spent an extended Labor Day weekend at BRL. Parts of the large structure date back to 1880, and numerous additions have been added since then using some materials from historic former buildings, such as Pretty Sam’s Casino and the Monarch Saloon. The Lodge owners, Catherine and Pete, have also crafted some structural enhancements using straw-bale techniques, one area of their natural construction expertise. BRL is in Kingston, NM about half way between Silver City and TorC along a gorgeous mountain road cutting though Emory Pass in the Black Range Mountains of the eastern Gila National Forest. Staying at the Lodge is fun, peaceful, relaxing, and entertaining. Pete and helper Tom served up a tasty breakfast each morning that featured sourdough waffles or pancakes and an egg dish made from fresh eggs from the BRL chickens that inhabit a cozy straw-bale coop. Guests are allowed to use the Lodge refrigerators and kitchen for other meals. BRL features a pool table, video arcade game, library, guest Internet computer, private and common balconies, lovely vegetable gardens and flower beds, a grapevine-shaded patio, lots of outdoor benches and seats, and numerous examples of structures created with earth-friendly building materials and techniques. Pete may also offer some crooning with his trusty guitar in the evenings. Neighbors of BRL in Kingston were continuously dropping by to borrow this or that, some dropping off apples or fresh apple pies. A neighbor selling apples from his extensive orchard along Percha Creek invited us into his yard to pick apples and learn about his prized 100-year-old apple tree and his love of hummingbirds as expressed with numerous feeders. A pine tree and adjacent spruce in his front yard were the roosting sites of hundreds of hummingbirds each evening. The clamor of the bird calls from these trees was incredible, almost overpowering all other sounds. Other things to explore in the area include scenery and hiking trails; streets around town; rich birding areas; the incredibly interesting museums in Chloride, Deming, and TorC; the nearby Lake Valley major ghost town from the silver mining days; Caballo Lake and dam; and huge Elephant Butte Lake. Ted Turner’s Ladder Ranch is also nearby and is accessible only by reservation. Nine miles east of Kingston, the town of Hillsboro boasts several cafes and a number of craft and art stores and gift shops. BRL offers eight Lodge bedrooms/suites of various sizes, a large 5-bedroom home on Percha Creek, and a small two-level, straw-bale cottage for rent. Prices are very reasonable. A stay at BRL is truly unique, enjoyable beyond words, and will never be forgotten.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank buckstephens

Been to The Black Range Lodge? Share your experiences!