All reviews the princess lokelani suite breakfast and dinner private deck boutique hotel romantic couples bottled water juice fish french polynesia blown away each morning off season sharks and rays over the top fresh flowers eileen art
Reviewed 7 November 2017

My family and I stayed here in July and from the moment we arrived we knew we were staying somewhere special. From the time of the booking to the moment we left we were made to feel like the most important guests they have ever had.

The whole place is beautiful and naturally spectacular. We had our baby boy and 10year old and they were very accommodating for us. We tried to keep the children away from other guests (we are blessed with relatively well behaved children) but were never made to feel like they were a burden.

The dinner is a true experience and the effort put in is something I've never experienced. You dine whilst watching the sharks and other sea life. The table presentation is a work of art.

You can swim with sting rays and sharks near by and have use of the canoes and paddle boards - at a price but worth it. The staff will help book anything for you and go above and beyond.

I have stayed all over the world from backpackers to five star and this by far is the best accommodation I've stayed. A true experience full of love, extraordinary good vibes and a lot of peace and harmony.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank emilycooper83
FenuaMoorea, Gérant at Fenua Mata'i'oa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2017

Thank you Emily for your kind message.It was a great pleasure to meet you.Full of happiness for all your family.

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Fabulous stay at Fenua Mataioa. Eileen the owner makes you fell like a friend as soon as you meet her. Her meals dinner and breakfast are wonderful. Staff serving so accommodating. Flowers all over the grounds and your table. You are right on the water. Fish dancing around the deck. If you want a special getaway on Moorea stay here you will not be disappointed.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
FenuaMoorea, Gérant at Fenua Mata'i'oa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Thank you very much for your kind message. It was a great pleasure to meet you. I wish you much happiness and I hope to have a chance to see you again.
Eileen

Reviewed 31 August 2017

This is probably one of the most difficult reviews I've ever written as Fenua Matai'oa is one of those places some will love, some will hate and others, like us, are just not too sure!

Eileen has filled her little hideaway hotel full of eclectic and eccentric pieces of art, furniture and knick-knacks The restaurant area is quite charming, if not slightly overpowering, the walls and surfaces festooned with memorabilia, ornaments and art.
When dining, one's table is festooned with a riot of flowers and greenery.

Despite some previous reviews to the contrary, we felt that the breakfasts were very overrated with too many pastries and breads, some fruit and tiny servings of cheese and procuitto. The price was way over the top for what one got. Drinking water was not provided in our room and the charge of $6 for same was quite extortionate. We ate dinner there on three occasions. Our meal was good but, again, overpriced.. And, yes, I know that food is expensive in French Polynesia ...

We had the Princess Lokelani suite and must admit to being slightly disappointed as it felt slightly tatty as did the outdoor furniture much of which was showing signs of wear and tear and sported torn, faded upholstery. The window in our bathroom, which abutted the shower, was filthy and stained.

Eileen was very helpful in that she booked restaurants, a car and some tours as we requested. We can recommend the Quad Bike tour (with Tom) and the Whale Watching trip - and yes, we saw a whale! We also hired a car and circumnavigated the island. We were last on Moorea in 1992 and were amazed at how much development had taken place since then. It's still a beautiful island but we felt that, somehow, a bit of it's charm had gone - a fact the locals seemed to agree with too.

If this review had developed into a bit of a whinge, I am sorry, it wasn't meant to. Many will love Fenua Matai'oa but I guess that it just wasn't really for us.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank HgrVaruna
FenuaMoorea, Gérant at Fenua Mata'i'oa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

You took the time to make a long comment and I have to thank you, if only for the time spent doing it ...
I have already answered a similar review, so I will not explain yet that the mattresses of the sunbeds are changed every year and that unfortunately due to the sun and the rain, they deteriorate extremely quickly ...
You will have noticed that we are in the tropics and that the hotel is almost on the lagoon ...
But, by dint of reading this kind of reviews, I will end up doing like most other hotels and putting sunbeds without mattresses ...
As for the price of the meals, if the prices seemed prohibitive, you should have avoided dining 3 times ... I would have gladly booked the restaurant of your choice.
But at lower rates, I could only suggest a snack bar ....
All the restaurants in our category have similar prices and I think none would have allowed you to dine on the lagoon, with a table worthy of a fairy tale, besides the excellence of our dinners ...
As you rightly said, the Fenua Mata'i'oa is not for everyone and that's what makes its difference.
I must admit that we do not wish it to be otherwise.
If you were able to choose a hotel in Moorea, unfortunately, we did not choose you.
I have already said many times on this site, I provide dreams and magic but I do not provide the soul that goes with ...
This place is just magical but it's like art, there are people who do not feel anything by looking at a work of art ...
You have certainly mistaken the place and believe that I regret it.
The best.

Reviewed 9 June 2017

Our experience in this hotel was wanderfull; goods rooms very decorated; and excelent service; clean and charming. Eilleen, the ouner, make us feel unique with all kinds of details. Breakfast & dinner were outstanding. each plate a piece of art. they baked the croisson, the bagett, muffins each morning for breakfast. Natural juice with tropical fruits were very nice.
Thanks Eileen,I Know I can´t describe well, our lovely expirience in your Hotel. A real piece of Hevean in Moorea.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank roa55
FenuaMoorea, Gérant at Fenua Mata'i'oa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2017

Thank you very much for your message. It was a pleasure to receive you and to participate in your happiness. The best for you.

Reviewed 18 February 2017

My wife and I concluded our 2-week visit to French Polynesia with two relaxing days at Fenua Mata'i'oa. We had already done all of the water sports and snorkeling we wanted, and needed a couple of days to chill. Eileen's paradise was perfect for us. I can only describe this as the Garden of Eden. It is a floral paradise, transporting you back in time. This is how royalty visiting Polynesia might have lived 100 years ago.

The property and the gardens were immaculate, filled with exotic plants and flowers and wonderful artwork and antiques. If you have any interest in gardening, you will be overwhelmed. You can spend days just identifying and photographing the plants. You are right alongside the lagoon, and can sit and watch fish and sting rays swim right by your lounge chair. Or, as I did, climb down the ladder and swim with them in water about 3-5 feet deep.

There are five rooms, and each has a separate entrance with a jungle-like garden approach. We stayed in one of the junior suites, and it was spacious, private and very luxurious. The bed was King+ and extraordinarily comfortable. The bathroom was large and the shower was a work of art (and very good). Eileen puts fresh flowers in each room, in addition to the welcome lei you'll receive. A+ accommodations all around.

We had one continental breakfast, and while very pricey, it was worth the experience. They set us up in the garden, overlooking the lagoon, and the array of croissants, pastries, fruit, etc. was overwhelming. And gorgeous. We enjoyed the many cats that live on the property -- all friendly and attention-seeking.

This is a true oasis in paradise. It may not be for everyone, but it was perfect for us. You have to be ready to leave the world behind for a few days. And enjoy the gardens and antique setting.

As others have noted, the price for meals and other add-ons is pretty steep. The continental breakfast was 4400 francs (about $40) per person, and the gin and tonic I enjoyed before dinner was 1700 francs (about $15). Wifi is also costly, but we were happy to leave the connected world behind for a few days. We did have a complimentary mai tai upon arrival. We had a car, and took our meals in the village (other than one breakfast), rather than on the property, partly due to price and partly to see more of the area. But the rooms themselves are very reasonable for what you get for this unique experience, so it all balances out. And Eileen is a great host!

Highly recommended!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bart W
FenuaMoorea, Gérant at Fenua Mata'i'oa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2017

Thank you very much for your comment. It was a pleasure to meet you and I am very happy to know that I have participated in your happiness.
Just a small comment regarding meal rates. We can not lower our rates because it would force us to choose products of lower quality. In the same sense, preparing tables with such a fresh flower decor takes a long time. Half-board is 11 000 FCP / 92 € (breakfast includes a basket of Viennese pastries cooked in the hotel , homemade breads, fresh fruit, a choice of jams of local fruits (prepared in the hotel), fresh fruit juices, yogurts, ham, cheese, tea, coffee, chocolate .... And the dinner includes Entry / main course / dessert - only fresh products of the best quality) .
The breakfast alone is 4,400 FCP (37 €).
The specifity of our dinners is first the "magic" because the tables are decorated with a multitude of fresh flowers (the tables are already a marvel for the eyes ...) and the excellence of the products but also culinary art.
And then, our guests dine by watching the sting rays and sharks ... it's all just magic ....
We are cheaper than the other hotels in Moorea (in the same category) and nowhere else you will feel so much emotion ....
The best for you.