Casa do Joao(Barao de Sao Joao)
All reviewsbreadcheeseportugalterracebeaches
Reviewed 2 April 2017

We were walking the Via Algarviana and our only day of rain was the day we arrived at Monte Rosa. We liked the cabins, even though we were there only one night and so did not use the kitchen, and by afternoon the rain had stopped and we used our little terrace. It was also quite chilly and we appreciated the heater in the room to warm up and dry out our clothes. This is a fairly simple place--only cold water in the bathroom sink (but hot water in the shower). The wifi was marginal in the room but fine in the dining room.

The breakfast was the best we had in Portugal. Scrambled eggs from their own chickens, fresh fruit, 3 kinds of cheese, ham, sliced tomatoes, two types of bread, homemade preserves, fresh orange juice, good coffee. We also got sandwiches for the next day's walk. The owner, Theo, gave us a ride to a nearby restaurant for dinner, because their restaurant was not yet open for the season.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 May 2016

Time really stands still in this lovely surrounding where you can relax after a day exploring the fantastic environment and return to your cosy place. The hosts do litterally everything to make your stay great in an authentic service minded way: the breakfast and the taxi service are only two examples. Definitely a place to return to.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2016

If you are looking for a relaxxing holidays with your family, this is the best place to stay!
I do recommend to book in advance!
You have a swimming pool & many cool apartments. It's close to a village called Barão de São João.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
nanniedepannie, Manager at Monte Rosa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2016

Thank you!

Reviewed 31 August 2014

I spent six days at a workshop retreat at Monte Rosa in May 2014. It would have been almost
ideal except for one very serious problem. One of our retreat leaders emailed the owner to
find out if they accepted credit cards for the 1 hour transport to and from the airport. The answer
was that they did indeed accept credit cards. Based on that, I only brought €200 figuring I could use my credit card for that and any other needs. When I arrived I was told that they did not take credit cards for anything. Not only did I not know if I had enough money to pay for the transportation, I had to forgo a massage and other incidentals at the retreat.
There was no apology for this mistake that put a damper on what could have been very wonderful.
On a positive note, the staff were all warm, friendly and helpful. The food was delicious and there was always a vegetarian option. The buildings and grounds were charming and beautiful.
Lovely flowers both cultivated and wild. The outside of the buildings were much more attractive than the inside and the inside was subject to mosquitoes.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank FriendInMichigan
nanniedepannie, Manager at Monte Rosa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2016

We indeed do not work with credit cards, but one can always make a bank transfer at Monte Ros., This saves us a lot of hassle and commission fee. In the villlage of Baráo, at 2 kilometers is a cash machine. Most people pay in advance by bank transfer.

The complaint about musquitoes I do'-t understand. We offer little electric plugs that one can use against musquitoes if there are any at all. All sleeping rooms have protection nets in front of the windows, so they can be open at night. Also a musquito netfor the bed is available on request.
Luckily most of the year we have hardly any musquitoes however....

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Wonderful stay at Monte Rosa. Peaceful rooms/cottages. Amazing gardens. Great for a healthy and relaxing break. On site yoga, massage etc. and lots of info on other activities, services. Little cats pottering around. Lots to do in area and close to some beautiful quite beaches. I thought it was very good value. Will certainly return.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family