“Very friendly owner”

Price range: US$3 - US$10
Cuisines: International
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Good food, good music in a relaxed atmosphere.Breakfast, brunch, dinner and launch.Monchis friendly: cakes, cookies, macaroons, flambé fruit, fruit salad.The best cocktails of the island.Free wi fi, photo service.And more ..
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This was a nice treat, we stopped here because we did not want to go all the way to Balque. It's like eating at a friends house. The owner is very friendly, he's from Argentina, I think. We shared an entre and some drinks. Great food, good times, nice people. We would visit again if there.

Date of visit: February 2014

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Information first. Mar Dulce is not located in Moyogalpa anymore. That location closed several months ago, and the Argentinian owner took a few months off to relax. He opened at his new location beside the road to Balgue just a few weeks ago. The new place is his home and has just 5 tables. Che says he was in need of a simpler life where he does everything himself. His beloved dog passed away also, so he truly is a one man show.

We ate here twice on my daughter's birthday. For lunch she had a huge and perfectly grilled whole tilapia. My wife had fried meatballs and I went for a massive burrito with cabbage instead of rice. The homemade hot sauce on the burrito was amazing. Everything was delicious and as we were the only diners Che not only did everything himself and delivered all the dishes simultaneously with perfect readiness, he found time to chat extensively with us. He's a very engaging fellow. And his music selection is pretty fair too!

That meal sold us. We returned for dinner and this time we all went for the steak with chimichurri. The steaks were large, tender, and perfectly cooked, and we loved the complex flavors of the sauce. Although his new menu doesn't include desserts, Che magicked up a pineapple flambe for my daughter's birthday, which was on the house. Oh yes, he did it this time while looking after 3 other tables!

What more can I say? We loved this restaurant! If you go to Ometepe (highly recommended), fit Mar Dulce (sweet sea) into your schedule. I'm sure you will be pleased.

Date of visit: January 2014
1  Thank Rick B
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Very cozy and nice restaurant and bar. I spend several hours having some beers and some dishes with friends. I really liked its atmosphere ( relaxing and peaceful) and friendly staff. There are nice music,cute dog and beautiful nature photos which owner took. Food is also delicious. Situated very convenient place,central Moyogalpa. If you look for some informations about any tour for explore Ometepe island, they might introduce you good guide. They introduced me an excellent guide for climbing Concepción volcano and the exclusion was great!

Date of visit: December 2012
1  Thank Semmy_13
Reviewed 20 May 2013

The Mar Dulce has everything. Great food and beer and they always play great jazz, blues and regae. A perfect place to hang out, and Che the owner is a great guy

Date of visit: April 2013
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Mar dulce is one of few restaurants in Moyogalpa and glady it has good food. Dinner was ok, but nothing special. The sanwiches however were really good. We've had the steak Milanese, chicken Milanese and the choripan. All of them were tasty, accompanied with a nice homemade hot sauce and fresh juices for a reasonable price.

Date of visit: April 2013