1,341 results
All reviews golf course the main hotel on arrival round of golf walled garden spa treatments relaxation room play golf spa area relaxing break the ground floor wedding venue old house sligo town bar food from start to finish steak
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We were quite underwhelmed by our stay in Castle Dargan unfortunately. It was a very average hotel and didnt feel like a 4 star at all. There is quite a damp smell throughout the corridor of the hotel leading into the function room and our room smelled like smoke.
The food in the restaurant was very good and the service there was superb. We also visited the spa during our stay, i had facial with Danielle, she was excellent-lovely warm welcome and she provided us with some great recommendations of places to visit in Sligo. The relaxation area of the spa is far too small, when we were there it was completely full and felt quite cramped-not very relaxing.
There was nothing extremely awful about our stay but i wouldnt be back for another visit.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
CastleDargan, Sales & Marketing Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Dear Jessie,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to Castle Dargan Estate. I would like to assure you that, as part of our day to day maintenance of the Estate, the issue of the damp smell that you mentioned has been addressed. We would be delighted to welcome you back once more to Castle Dargan and I would be grateful if you would contact me directly in advance of your next visit.

Your Sincerely,

Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel the Monday of the August bank weekend with my partner. We were celebrating my 30th Birthday so had gone all out. We booked direct and includes spa and dinner that evening. I could possibly go on forever about all the little bits that bothered us on our stay but the worst part was out dinner at the hotel. We arrived at 8.30 for dinner and we had made this reservation over a month before booking. The restaurant looked to be getting quiet and we were obviously their last booking. We ordered out starter cane out, I had the pork belly and it was lovely. I ordered steak as my main. When the steak arrived out it didn't look took exciting but I cut in, the steak straight smelled off right away and I couldn't even try and eat it. I sent it back to the man that was serving us, he came back and apologised and said that the chef agreed that it was off and was cooking another one straight away. Out it came, this dropped to me by a girl who just landed it in front of me and said "let me know if this one's okay" with this she disappeared and i never saw her again (they were ever so busy at this stage cleaning up around us) I looked down and at first no cutlery so I had to wait for the man that was serving us first to fix that. Cut into my steak and the very same as before, I tried to eat this but had to spit it out. The smell once again was awful and I sent it straight back. I did not order another main because at this stage I was turned off my dinner. The man apologised to us again and was lovely to us, I could only imagine the treatment he got in the kitchen as we were the last at the restaurant. We were finishing our drinks at this point before we would move to the bar when a very rude woman who seemed to be in charge of everything ran over to our table wanting to know how were we paying (she was trying to sort tills) I explained that we booked it with our stay and she answered no but the drinks needed to be paid for !! Surely she knew about our awful dinner, she had nothing to say about that. On check out I complained to the woman there and told her I had no main, she refuned the cost of a few drinks from our bill. A few days later I received a generic email from Siobhan (the manager) the usual hope you enjoyed your stay and that they value our feedback. I decided I would take the time out and tell Siobhan of my experience rather then write something so publicly. I waited a whole week until I received an email from her looking for my number to call me, I am now waiting almost 3 weeks for this call. Castle Dargon and the management do not value your feedback. I was looking forward to my stay here for my birthday and was left very disappointed. This girl does not deserve a 4 star rating.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Megan D

Dear Megan,

I would like to thank you most sincerely for reviewing your stay at Castle Dargan Estate. Your comments are valued and have been reported to Management. Should you find yourself back in Sligo, we would be delighted to welcome you back and ensure that you experience a true Castle Dargan Experience. Please contact me directly should you plan a return visit.

Reviewed 6 September 2018 via mobile

Lovely hotel,only had issues after the residents bar with non residents hanging around the lobby and causing a few problems with a few of us that were resident at the hotel. Brought the various issues to the duty manager the next day and was told he'd review security cameras. I Then called 4 days later to see if footage had been viewed and no call back or follow up from management in the 2 weeks since, no apologies besides a dismissive sorry to hear that on the day of reporting it. Potentially a serious security issue and doesn't seem like there's any interest in following up complaints about these things at all. Safety of guests doesn't seem to be high on the list of priorities

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sean P

Dear Sean,
I am glad that you enjoyed your Castle Dargan Experience. . I have looked into your issue and I can confirm that it was reported to Management and has been addressed internally. Please be assured that guest safety is of utmost importance as is providing optimal Customer Service.

Reviewed 5 September 2018

Spent 3 wonderful nights,dinner,bed and breakfast at Castle Dargan in August,with my husband. Loved every moment of it. A lovely 4 star hotel with a Darren Clarke designed 18 hole golf course. A nice quiet comfortable bedroom. There are also very nice apartments. The staff were friendly and helpful. Special thank you to Linda and staff in the Middleton Bar for a great service and a lovely view over the golf club. Breakfast and dinner very good with excellent service. Lovely walks and an excellent spa.ten minutes to Sligo for shopping,an hour to Knock Shrine and 30 minutes to the beautiful Lough Key Forest Park. We will definitely be back. Very good value.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled on business
CastleDargan, Sales & Marketing Manager at Castle Dargan, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Mary,

What a wonderful, concise & all encompassing review! Mary, thank you most sincerely for choosing Castle Dargan Estate for your recent getaway. Thank you also for your review and comments. It would seem that you made good use of Castle Dargan's excellent location, so close to so many beautiful places to visit. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 September 2018

We travelled as two couples and chose Castle Dargan for its location, close to Sligo town but with a beautiful country setting. The hotel has beautiful grounds and a very nice walk through the golf course out to the old Castle ruins. We booked two of the Castle Dargan House suites for the extra space and the upgrade was only €10 per person per night, seemed like a good deal at the time. However, on arrival in the suites we discovered the one upstairs had an awful smell, possible drain issue, also the floor boards made a dreadful noise when you walked across them, our friends had the suite below and they could hear every movement!! Not good. The suites were also very worn and in need of refurnishment! We reported the smell to reception, they very promptly sent a member of staff over with some drain deodoriser, this didn’t even start to resolve the issue. We had to ask reception to move us into the main hotel, they did this very quickly and without query, showing us the rooms first. These were deluxe rooms and €40 a night less than the suites! Very comfortable.
It’s hard to understand why the hotel would still be marketing the suites as the deluxe rooms in the hotel are a much better option, decor much better and no smelly drain issue. Given that all the windows in the suites were open when we arrived it would lead you to suspect that the hotel staff knew there was a smell issue in these suites!!

Despite this issue we would have to say that the service was excellent in the bar and restaurant, the staff were lovely, friendly and very helpful, nothing was any trouble. We did enjoy our stay but the hotel really needs to do something to improve the Castle Dargan House suites to make them into the accommodation they advertise on their web site.

Room Tip: Back of hotel away from rooms beside the reception and entrance door
Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank familyhome2017

Dear Guest,

Sincere thanks to you and your party for choosing Castle Dargan Estate for your getaway. Thank you also for your feedback and for this opportunity to respond. I was like to assure you that your experience was noted and reported to Management on the day of your visit as part of our daily management reporting system, such is the importance of Customer Feedback and our dedication to Customer Service and ensuring the best Castle Dargan Experience for each and every guest.
I was very pleased to read that you enjoyed your Dining Experience and once moved to the Hotel, your Hotel Accommodation. Thank you for your time and your comments and I do hope that we have the pleasure of your company once again should you find your way back to Sligo.