All reviews river sites campers campground forest
Reviewed 21 June 2015 via mobile

We joined friends here for camping, and a hike. No pottable water, but it was cozy. Note:Lower Lena hike is 5 miles not 3. But it's a beautiful hike! Spacious sites and beautiful area. Not too busy, and easy to get to.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I first went to Hamma Hamma last year on 4th of July. We hadn't thought about all the other campers that would be around during this busy weekend. We were stopped by a ranger right after turning off of 101 (my boyfriend wasn't wearing his seatbelt) and he informed us that all the sites at Hamma Hamma AND Lena Creek were all full. But the cool part was the ranger also told us we could pull off the road and just camp wherever - which is pretty cool considering many sites are very strict about where people can camp. He also directed us to the best place to pull off and camp.
We discovered a nice little spot that was far away from people yet not deep in the woods. We now call it 'our spot'. This last week we returned to it and explored more.
This area has a lot of really cool hidden creeks, waterfalls, and other nifty sites. Be sure to explore the area - on trail and off. The wildlife is also pretty cool. There are a lot of humming birds in the area during the early summer. We also saw a lot of birds of prey, chipmunks, red squirrels, salamanders, some type of lizard and family of wild turkeys! We happened to be camped near a nest of garter snakes (ive never seen garter's this big!) but, like i said, we werent near the main campites.
We took the trail to Lena Lake - or attempted to anyway... The trail to the lake says its 3.2 miles from the trailhead but let me forewarn you, this is a looong 3.2 miles. It was pouring rain so it was either take this trail or sit in the car until the rain passes. The trail is mostly switchbacks up a mountain so the entire way to the lake is uphill. The switchbacks aren't too steep so its an easy incline but ive never walked such a long 3 miles. In fact, i feel that it must not of been accurately measured. We made it to the 2nd bridge, which should be ~.5mi from the lake, before turning around (no raingear or food - after all, it was only 3miles!). We passed quite a few families with young children who regretted starting the hike and were considering turning around also. It seems a lot of people underestimated this trail also. NOT FOR KIDS!
I will definitely be going back to explore this area more.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank lauri648
Reviewed 30 September 2012

14 miles from Hoodsport Washington is this nice little campground with about 15 tent/rv campsites along the shore of the Hamma Hamma River in Olympic National Forest.
For pics/video of campground:

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank cedarview2
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My first trip to the hamma hamma was with my then boyfriend (now husband) in 2005. We drove up past the campground to a very private spot which is sadly unaccessable now due to a rock slide cutting off the road in 2009 or 10. We set up the tend so close to the water, which was so fresh and swift and clear. He went fishing, I built the fire (i suggest bringing fire wood or fire starter as the surrounding wood is wet) and we had one of the the best times camping I've ever had in my life. He started going there when he was about 5 with his Family to go camping and fishing and now it's our family tradition. My husband's father passed away last year and this past summer we all drove up to the Hamma to spread his ashes in the canyon (difficult hike if you're interested). The beauty of the Hamma and the magic it exudes brought such peace to everyone there...young and old. My husband and I and two sons (ages 13 and 5) stayed on to camp with some other family members. While my husband and older son were fishing, it started to get dark and my 5 year old got very scared and started to cry and ask to go home. I cozied him into our tend and I started to make up a story while we gazed throuch the open netted tent top at the huge, old-growth, moss covered tree. The story centered on the tree fairys (actually dragon flies which were quite active and lovley), water fairys and rock fairys. Not only did it calm him, he now loves the Hamma as much as we do and can't wait to go back next year. It is so easy to believe there are fairys here. The magic is infectious!

Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
13  Thank xtwhitt
Reviewed 10 August 2011

My boyfriend and i and a couple friends have been going up there for yrs it is so so pretty the water is beautiful if you want somewhere beautiful then this is the place to go!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends