All reviews walking distance riverside generator elk loop dense rainforest sites trees campground campers
Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

Our family made the trip to the Hoh Rainforest on Memorial Day weekend. We left Thursday and secured an amazing campsite in loop C (#65) right by the river. Loop C is more private and filled with tall, beautiful, moss covered trees. Very quiet and decent bathroom with toilets - no showers. Walking distance to the Hoh Visitors Center and three amazing hikes.

Date of stay: May 2018
5  Thank Otoolegirl
Reviewed 29 May 2017

First the rant - why do so many camp reviewers not "advise" which sites are best? We get it - the bathrooms are clean/dirty and the neighboring campers were quiet/noisy, but so few people actually tell where to stay.

That said, sites on the C Loop were spacious and many featured riverside plots. I camped at #77 and was a short walk to the river whereas others who arrived before my 3 pm time secured closer-to-the-water spaces. Best of all, the parking spaces on the C loop are too small for large vehicles, so the RVs were in the A and B loops. Let's face it - generators are for people who don't enjoy nature.

Room tip: C Loop is green and spacious
Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
26  Thank BayouRnnr
Reviewed 11 October 2016

We were off season, so couldn't book in advance -- just first come, first served. But we need not have worried as the campground was less than half full, only about one third. There was no electric or water hook up, but there were flush toilets within easy walking distance.

You will be about 45 minutes drive to the town of Forks (which has a gas station and a Subway sandwich shop) so be sure and take all your provisions with you when you go!

How grand to wake up inside the rainforest with all its beauty! We saw elk and deer.

Date of stay: October 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank RamblingRoses
Reviewed 14 September 2016 via mobile

Absolutely amazing forest, elk, river, camping...this is hands down my new favorite camping destination. Our campsite was more than ample, camp hosts were fantastic. The resident elk herd bedded down along the river bank and easily viewed all day. The Hall of Mosses trail was something I had been wanting to hike for a long time (I'm a plant fanatic ) and it didn't dissappoint. The Hoh Rainforest is a fascinating place, and in my opinion very underrated.

Date of stay: July 2016
2  Thank LisaBeachbodyCoach
Reviewed 5 July 2016

First of all, this campground is off the beaten path. Don't go there unless you have everything you need, because there's not much to be had if you forgot it or run out. The campground is located about 18 miles off Hwy. 101, and it's not the greatest road. The speed limit is generally 35mph, with a short 45mph area. The last few miles are inside the park at 35mph, and the ranger uses radar.

You can't reserve a site there. It's first-come, first-served. Payment is cash or check placed in an envelope. It costs $20 per night. The campground host sells firewood, but I was told by other campers that you can get a cheaper, larger bundle at a roadside stand on the way into the park. I saw the stand - it looks like an honor thing - you put your money in some kind of strongbox and take what you paid for. I don't recall exactly where it was but it's along the 18 mile road to the campground on the north side. It's pretty obvious.

We visited in our 23 ft. travel trailer. There are no hookups. It's a rainforest, so expect rain. Our batteries only recharged via solar for a couple of hours over the two days we were there. If you stay for more than a few days, you'll likely need a generator.

Some of the sites can be pretty small, but I saw a couple of giant 5th wheels, so it can be done. However, because you can't reserve a site, I'm not sure I'd drive all the way there to find out I couldn't fit my behemoth 5th wheel in the few available spots.

The Hoh Rainforest trails are within a couple minute walk from the campground, as is the visitor center. The visitor center is probably the smallest I've seen in the National Parks, and I've been to many. They have a few items for sale, but no exhibits. It's mainly an information center. The rangers are friendly, knowledgeable, and passionate about their job and park.

The Hall of Mosses trail loop is a must. The river trail is fairly flat and goes quite a ways (18 miles), but we went about 3 miles up and turned around. It was absolutely worthwhile. It's muddy, mostly shady, and then there's the rain thing. Dress accordingly.

We have AT&T cell service and there is absolutely no voice or data coverage at all anywhere in the Hoh Rainforest area. A friend had Verizon and was able to get some data coverage here and there, but he said he needed luck. I recall getting very weak coverage around the Kalaloch Lodge on Hwy. 101 about 21 miles south of the turn to the Hoh Rainforest. But, north of that, I had nothing until around Forks, which is about 12 miles north of the turn.

The campground has a dump station, but they charge an additional $10 (like all NP campgrounds) on top of the camping fee.

This campground is really nice and definitely worth a visit, especially if like getting off the beaten path.

Date of stay: June 2016