“Very disappointed”

Lake Crescent Lodge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 September 2017

My husband and I stayed here last week for 2 nights during our visit to Olympic NP. We were so looking forward to our stay here based off of the pictures and hotel website and we were terribly disappointed.
PROS: Absolutely stunning scenery and views of Lake Crescent. Food was expensive but very good at the restaurant.
CONS: We stayed in a Singer Cabin, #19. We have stayed at NP lodges before so our expectations were not very high, but the level of filth and misrepresentation of our room is totally unacceptable. Upon entering our room we were met with an extremely strong old musty odor, that despite opening all windows never went away or even slightly dissipated throughout our entire stay. I don't think our bathroom was ever cleaned after the previous guests left, as there was hair all over our tub and soap suds all over the walls of the tub. Our bed had 4 pillows, every single one had stains all over the pillowcases. This was probably the dirtiest room that I have ever stayed in in my entire life, and for $325+ a night it is totally unacceptable. Also, when booking our cabin I was shown pictures of a cabin facing the lake. Cabin #19 does NOT face the lake and in fact faces the lodge and the back of another cabin that it is connected to. The main parking lot is about 10 feet away and all we heard were car doors slamming and people talking right outside the window all day and late into the evening. Despite all of this, my biggest issue is that a day into our stay I noticed a hold was placed on my credit card for our remaining balance (one nights stay) PLUS an additional $560.00 hold. After checking out I noticed that our balance was posted but this additional hold was still placed on my card. I contacted Amarak general booking number and the woman I spoke with said she had never seen this before and unfortunately there was "nothing" she could do and I could either "wait for it to fall off" or contact their accounting department. I went ahead and contacted the lodge directly and was sent over to the accounting department. Since it was a Sunday I was informed that the employee who could address this was not in and that I would receive a call first thing Monday morning. It is now Thursday (4 days later) and the hold is still on my card and I have yet to receive a phone call. In the meantime my credit card company has opened a fraud investigation and are monitoring the situation. Overall it seems this company does not invest in properly training their staff on all ends of the spectrum from housekeeping to billing etc. My advice to potential guests is to stay away and instead to visit this property on a day trip. Had I realized that this lodge is federal property and is open to the public I would have just visited and stayed elsewhere (anywhere else to be frank).

Reviewed 27 September 2017 via mobile

I stayed in a Storm King room for three nights while visiting Olympic National Park. I've stayed in many national park lodges and therefore didn't expect anything fancy but this room was disgusting. It smelled, there was mold all over the bathroom walls and tile in the shower stall, and it was not well kept at all. For $200/night I'd expect a little more. The sliding door had no screen so it was either deal with a stinky room or bugs. I loved the park but literally dreaded going back to the room each night. The restaurant was ridiculously overpriced for the quality of the food and the service was slow and spotty. I drove into Port Angeles to eat.

I'm giving two stars because the setting is idyllic and Tony at the bar was a fantastic!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank lolo4sd
Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

This place has charm galore and one of the best views imaginable. The staff is very friendly but with that said Aramark has no business running a hotel. They were severely understaffed. Check in is at 4:00, that means no one can check in before 4:00 even if your room or cabin is ready. Then comes the 30 minute check in waiting line at 4pm. And guess what, your room still may not be ready so it's up to you to check back over & over. The lobby bar is fantastic, warm, and friendly. Cabins are very sparse and not comfortable. My husband called it camping with 4 walls. But you pay the $$ for a luxury room. It's about the quality of room as an old junky motel off the interstate. Now the view out of our room was Amazingly gorgeous. They do not clean or change your your towels. We asked for a clean pillowcase as ours had black stains on it. Never got one in two days. I have no doubt that Aramark can provide the uniforms for the hotel but running one is another story. We've heard from others staying here that things went down hill when they took over. It's a beautiful charming Lodge but if you're charging $300 a night you MUST give some service. Several of our servers were efficient as was the women that rented canoes and bartenders. The housekeeping staff, host staff and front desk are abysmal.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2017

We stayed for three nights in one of the Singer Tavern Cottages. The room was small and a little outdated. We felt it was overpriced for what you received. No air conditioning, but after we opened the windows, it was not a problem. We found the rooms to be a little noisy. First, without air conditioning you need to open your windows, but that means you hear cars starting up behind you and conversations of people walking by. We were glad we were in an end unit as we could also hear some noise from the adjoining unit.

On the plus side, the main lodge building was very pretty, and there are some great hikes nearby. We felt the grounds were not as nicely maintained as the Lake Quinault Lodge, however.

We also enjoyed our meals in the Lodge restaurant (aside from some flies in the dining room), which was good because there really isn't any other place to eat nearby. But the food and service was very good, although the menu got a little repetitive the third night of our stay.

Overall, Lake Crescent Lodge is fine, just don't expect it to be a luxury resort experience. It's more like a summer camp experience, but that can be fun too (if you can afford the price).

Room Tip: If you stay in a Singer Tavern Cottage, ask for an end unit to cut down on noise from adjoining unit...
Reviewed 19 September 2017

We arrived on Labor day for a 2 night stay. The Labor Day holiday, as we expected, was incredibly busy with loads of people there, many of whom were daytrippers. The next day though was super quiet with only Lodge guests there. We had one of the Singer Tavern Cottages very close to the main lodge building. The room was very simple but nicely furnished. There was no airconditioning but the windows all opened and all had good flyscreens. We also had our own little verandah with two rocking chairs. There is not a lot of sound proofing between the rooms, but since it seemed that everyone there was "early to bed, early to rise" so that you could be out and enjoying the surroundings, this wasn't a problem.

The lake itself is stunning. Crystal clear water that just invites you to swim. We hired a canoe for a couple of hours and loved exploring around the lake. It is a large lake but not so large that you cant confidently take a canoe out to explore but be able to get back to shore should the weather change. The Lodge itself is lovely. It is very relaxed and you feel very comfortable just sitting and nursing a drink and watching the view. The restaurant was very good - which was very important because you are really miles from anywhere else to eat. As a point of comparison, we also visited and stayed at Lake Quinault Lodge and we much preferred Lake Crescent Lodge. Would definitely stay here again when we return to Olympic National Park.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Olympic National Park
40.1 km away
Colette's Bed and Breakfast Inn
Colette's Bed and Breakfast Inn
#3 of 14 in Port Angeles

Been to Lake Crescent Lodge? Share your experiences!