“Campground takes reservations”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Joshua Tree National Park
Black Rock Campground
Reviewed 22 May 2017

You cannot drive directly through the park to any of the attractions from this campground (you need to leave the park and re-enter) but it is not a far drive and has the added bonus that it is close to all the amenities in Yucca Valley and Joshua Tree, including a gas station and the Walmart.

We bought a threaded butane/propane camp stove canister (the red MSR ones) at Nomad Ventures since Walmart only had the green Coleman ones stocked. Nomad Ventures is right across the street from Coyote Corner where you can have a shower for $4 for 7 minutes. Both are located a short drive from Black Rock Campground.

The campsites themselves are nice and have some trees / shrubs. We went in the off-season and found the facilities to be clean. There is potable water.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SandyTO2009

Reviewed 7 May 2017

We chose Black Rock because we knew we would be arriving late and wanted to guarantee a spot. Bathrooms were clean and did have running water.
The campground is inside of the park, but not accessible to the rest of the park (~20 min drive back out of the park to the nearest entrance). It was also very WINDY -- we thought it was just the weather while we were there but seems others are giving similar feedback.

We had a great time - but next time, would love to try some of the other campgrounds in the park.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 May 2017

My wife and I planned a return to Joshua Tree earlier this year and booked at this campground. We did not know the campground, and were surprised when we learned that it is basically "outside" the park, since it in the very north part of the park, and to get to the main sites in the park, you must depart the campground, drive 5 miles to the main road, drive to the Joshua Tree entrance and then re-enter the park, which is a little disappointing.

The park itself is a nice desert park, and the big plus here is running water. There are some trails here, but we were too tired to try them after doing some other hikes. We had campsite 23, which on the map looks like it is toward the edge of the camp. We had expected some noise / quiet benefits from that location, but unfortunately, on Friday night, it seemed that there were about 5+ tents of drunken millenials just across the way, who yelled, played music and debated the merits of Jack Johnson until about 1 in the morning. I can't imagine that anyone within 100 yards of these people got a decent night sleep, and there was no evidence of Park Rangers trying to keep these people civil. I told my wife that I could not do another night, but she convinced me to do some hiking on Saturday and come back and then decide if we pack up. When we returned to the site, all the millenials had packed up and left, and although I could see from the reservation board that they booked 2 nights, I guess they could not deal with the cold and left, thankfully.

Our sleep on the second night is how I remember camping to be. Mostly quiet, you hear people even very late, but there are few and not obnoxious, and seemed to show some respect for those sleeping.

Would I stay here again? Yes, but I am definitely going to have earplugs, and I am going to ask the Rangers when I see them on their policy on late night noise.

Room Tip: Download the campsite map and identify where you want to camp
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2017 via mobile

Probably the most accessible campground. Spacious pitches and fell asleep looking up at hundreds of stars. Hosts and very helpful and even when full, the campground wasn't noisy (apart from the coyotes). Took a walk to High View Trail in the morning (1.5 miles) and saw a snake and loads of other wildlife. This hike is fine for kids. Can't recommend the campground highly enough.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Stuart F
Reviewed 15 April 2017

This campground is NOT located inside Joshua Tree National Park but in the town of Yucca Valley which is 11 miles to the nearest park entrance. You drive through a local neighborhood to reach the park entrance which left me disenchanted. In the distance, I could hear a neighbor's dog barking. Even though my reservation was tent only, I found myself near an RV that had it's generator running. Black Rock accepts reservations where the campsites inside the park do not. The campground is among joshua trees with mountain views but one I would not return to.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple

Been to Black Rock Campground? Share your experiences!