We hiked down Nov. 8 and left on the 10th. Snow at the top and dry on the bottom. Temps were 40's - 50's. PERFECT hiking conditions, except for the mud after we left the snow portion on the SK trail, but we passed the section quickly. We stayed in the dorms as a cabin was not to be; however, it did not lessen the experience of enjoying the bottom of that great big whole in the ground. The dorm was kept clean and all us gals were very considerate of each other. My hubby managed in the dorms as well, but he would have much preferred a cabin. You are hardly in your dorm at all, so bascially,we felt that it didn't matter much in the end. We ate 2 dinners. The steak dinner was okay. The stew dinner was excellent. Breakfast was perfect. Lots to eat and lots of fun to eat family style too. The lunches have a lot to be desired, but at least we didn't have to think about schlepping too much food with us from the rim; not sure what they could do to improve the lunch. The overall experience is so unique and wonderful. We are not campers and this gave us the opportunity to relish being at the bottom without any care in the world. I just wish it wasn't the most dificult reservation in the world to snag!! We hope to return again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Phantom Ranch is a historic oasis nestled at the bottom of Grand Canyon. It is on the north side of the Colorado River tucked in beside Bright Angel Creek. Phantom is the only lodging below the canyon rim. The Ranch can only be reached by mule, by foot or by rafting the Colorado River. Overnight accommodations at Phantom Ranch consist of dormitory spaces and cabins. Cabins and dormitories are heated in winter and cooled during the summer months. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Phantom Ranch Hotel Grand Canyon National Park
- Phantom Ranch Grand Canyon
- Grand Canyon Phantom Ranch