“Good, but not special”

Carlsbad Caverns Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

I had the chicken sandwich with nachos, mediocre is the word. But we were so hungry after hiking it was good, ha

Reviewed 9 January 2018

Inexpensive place to grab a simple lunch. Mexican food isn't that great. Recommend tapas like a side of vegetables, a quesadilla, or a simple pretzel. My 16-year-old got the pork tacos and wasn't impressed.

I was shocked by the low prices for the food. Two beverages were almost as expensive as lunch.

Reviewed 29 December 2017

We ate after doing the self tour of the caverns. As a group, we were tired and really hungry. I was delighted to see some relatively healthy options like fruit cups, yogurt parfaits, and pre-packaged pretzels with hummus dip. At the same time, we were eating late (around 3:30pm) and most items were clearly picked over (like the salad bar- there wasn't much that looked appetizing). I ordered the veggie burger for myself and might've gasped outloud when I observed the staff pull a frozen puck out of a compartment, put it on a plate, and tossed it in the microwave! Right then I wanted to object and change my mind. Sadly, there weren't many vegetarian options, however. My husband had already tried to order nachos and was denied because they were out of cheese! So my only options at that point were a quesadilla, a picked over salad, the parfait, a pretzel or the hummus. I ended up dousing the veggie burger with mayo and pickles, making it edible and honestly, I was so hungry at that point, I might've eaten just about anything! My husband declined to eat at all. All three of the kids got the yogurt parfaits and didn't finish them because the fruit tasted/looked like it had been frozen and was inedible due to their disgust. So my husband and I scraped it all off the top, leaving them eating a partial cup of pink yogurt, which annoyed me, because it was the healthfulness of the fruit I wanted them to have after all the traveling we'd done. My brother-in-law ordered the cheeseburger and mentioned it's the worst he's ever had, and he eats a ton of fast food. My advice is to save your money, spare you pallet, and pack a picnic of your own food and eat in the car or around the the park somewhere. The views from just outside of the Visitor's Center are breath-taking.

Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

After spending all morning hiking around the caverns it was so great to have hot food. We had the pork adovada over Mexican rice. We had tortilla crusted tilapia over rice. They were out of steamed veggies that would have been a wonderful option. We had a grilled chicken sandwich with chips. Overall a very satisfying meal. We needed it for round two tours. There is plenty of seating in the restaurant which is on the main floor of the visitor center. It's right next to the gift shop. Restrooms are outside at the entrance. There is a small sandwich and salad snack bar at the lower level to eat as well.

Reviewed 8 November 2017

I had the hot lunch special a stewed pork over rice with a tasty sauce and various item on top: lettuce, olives, jalapeno peppers, onion and cheese. For $9 it was a very tasty bargain. On the other hand, my wife had grilled chicken sandwich, and, while the chicken was OK, the bun was as bad as a bun could get. Her potato salad was fair. The setting was utilitarian.