“My favorite hike in Acadia”
Review of Beehive Trail

Beehive Trail
Reviewed 23 February 2012

This hike is the perfect level of strenuousness and risk for me. I've loved hiking it for over 15 years now and always feel great after I do.

There are newer reviews for Beehive Trail

Reviewed 3 February 2012

Beehive was a great hike for me and my two boys (12 and 13). It is steep and has a bit of exposure but the trail is well built and laid out so I was not worried. Once you get to the top you can take the Bowl trail back down to the car off the backside. My kids loved it and we're looking forward to trying Precipice on our next visit.

Here's a video we put together that will give you a good idea of the "hike":

3  Thank ChrisG7777
Reviewed 5 January 2012

The Beehive is a great trail for the somewhat adventurous family. There are steep areas but overall unless you are afraid of heights this is a fun hike. Saw elderly people as well as early elementary aged kids on this trail.

3  Thank kklammers
Reviewed 14 October 2011

We are in our 40's and visited Acadia recently with some family, and our twins, ages 13. We are in pretty good shape, despite the fact that we don't regularly do strenuous hiking. "The Beehive Trail" is more of a climb than it is a hike. There are iron rungs bolted into the giant boulders and rock faces that you can grab to help yourself move upward. My children had no problem with any of it and found it to be very fun, as if they were climbing on a jungle gym. Everything was doable, but a little difficult in parts. The main thing about Beehive is that it is more of a mental challenge than a physical one. Parts of the trail go very close to cliff edges, and if you have a fear of heights, it will be an extreme challenge to overcome. The photo here shows the breathtaking views, but you can also see the drop-offs. This area was the only place that I took a photo because for the rest of the climb I had to focus on only the climb in order to feel comfortable and safe. Most of the rest of the climb is not as level and easy as this spot. I would highly recommend this spot to climb, however, I would advise that it be on a dry day. (Wet rocks are slippery and make for treacherous climbing conditions.) Once you make it to the top, you are in for 360 degree panoramic views of ocean, gulfs, bays, islands, Sand Beach, other mountains. It is simply breathtaking! Go for it!

7  Thank tennismother
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I'm not real good with planning out trips, but the Beehive trail was great as it didn't need much planning. I had parked my car at the Sandy Beach, seen a bit of the beach, then headed across the road to the trailhead for the Precipice hike to the Beehive.

It can get a little confusing with some of the names so here's what I found out: The Precipice isn't a different place than the Beehive, it's just a rather direct and steep climb up to the Beehive. The Bowl is a lake below the Beehive and with two other mounts around it, Gorham, and Champlan. You can also take a less difficult and less direct path to the Beehive by going to the Bowl first, and then taking the fork to the Beehive.

You get great views from the top whichever way you take. I took the Precipice up and came down the Gorge, got lost once or twice, and it took me about 80 minutes round trip, with some times to rest. If I had been better prepared I might have tried the Mt. Gorham trail, but as the fork marker for Gorham had no distance written on it and I didn't bring a map, I didn't go for it as the afternoon was getting towards evening. As it turns out, it was really close.

Have a safe hike!