Lowest prices for your stay
US$275
Free cancellation until 09/10/22
Hotels.comUS$275
KimptonUS$275
Agoda.comUS$276
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 15 July 2022 via mobile

I booked a suite at the Kimpton Shinjuku on a recent business trip to Japan. I’m an IHG Ambassador + Diamond member, and have stayed in many other Kimpton hotels. Overall I was disappointed, won’t be back and don’t recommend this hotel if you’re traveling on business.

The suite isn’t really a suite. It’s just a larger room with a sofa and small coffee table, but with no separate living area.

There’s no table and chair that you can work from. This was odd, especially for a suite. You basically have to work from bed which was difficult and annoying.

My room was noisy and facing a busy junction. For me this made sleeping quite difficult and I had to use earplugs (not provided by the hotel). I’ve asked to change rooms but was told all rooms in my category faced the same direction.

Important IHG Ambassador benefits were not offered. First, there was no upgrade and when I asked, reception replied they don’t upgrade suites. Second, late checkout, which for IHG Ambassadors is typically 4pm, was only 2pm. The hotel refused to allow me to keep the room longer. Third, minibar items aren’t free. Other Kimptons offer free minibar items for Ambassador and suite bookings.

The pet policy of the hotel is also quite strange. While I’m not that bothered with dogs around me, when a family showed up to breakfast with a pig, it felt a bit too much. I am not sure if the pig had the bacon for breakfast… but I, personally, prefer to have my breakfast without the company of the source of my food.

On the positive side, all staff were extremely professional and friendly; the location is good; the hotel is new, immaculately clean and has modern design which is quite rare in the area. Breakfast was great and complimentary for IHG Ambassadors.

Date of stay: July 2022
Trip type: Travelled on business
3  Thank GRN1999
Reviewed 26 June 2022

Well designed boutique hotel in Shinjuku, opened 18 months ago. Some beautiful design elements and well thought out lighting creating perfect mood in every area of the hotel. Kimpton appears to be positioning themselves as a high end boutique in Asia (eg Thailand, Australia) vs the value-driven positioning from Kimpton in the US. Rooms are small, typical for Tokyo, but watch out that a 'suite' here just means a room with a separate sitting area (really a junior suite).

Hotel doesn't cater for international business travellers in the same way that some of the larger chains in Tokyo do (even compared to some of the local brands like Tokyu), even though Kimpton was originally a US brand. Service is good. They have a few fluent English speakers but many of the staff are not comfortable speaking English. No English channels on the TV, and couldn't find the dual language button on the remote!

Service shows little ability to adapt or apologise for when things go wrong, they just follow the process. On checking in, I was told the room type I had booked was not available (fyi, I'm platinum IHG). I specifically booked a room with a park view, but the room they gave me, though marginally larger than the one I booked, faced directly into another building leaving me feeling claustrophobic. I tried to change rooms the next day to any room type with a park view, but they had none with a king bed (which is the type I'd booked). Most hotels would now be apologising and offering something to make it up to me, but here they simply said I could pay the 20,000 upgrade fee to a twin suite and they would push the two single beds together. I ended up moving to (and paying for) the suite, but never a word of apology from the hotel.

Hotel is in Shinjuku, but nowhere near any subway station (nearest ones are min 12-17 minutes walk). Airport Limo Bus doesn't stop here, you'd have to drag your luggage to the nearby Park Hyatt or Washington Hotel, which are a short walk, but the hotel reception doesn't keep the bus timetables, so you are on your own if you want to figure that out (most Tokyo hotels would have timetables on hand and book the bus for you).

Housekeeping a bit erratic: one day they came in when the do not disturb sign was on. Fortunately, I was decent. There are no bells on the door so housekeeping will knock gently on the door when they want to come in, and you won't hear it unless you are standing next to the door! Room is superficially cleaned, but I did find some food stuffed down the side of the sofa (well, that the risk if you lose your phone and start searching in all the recesses of the room, I guess!)

Hotel especially friendly to dog lovers and families with small kids - around half the guests at any breakfast have their dogs with them!

Billing is bizarre: no mention of the hotel name or location, dates are wrong, missing IHG number and they show every individual piece of laundry you put in – every piece of underwear and pair of socks is individually itemised. So beware if you are submitting the bill for a business expense claim!

Stay at the Kimpton if you are a regular leisure traveller to Tokyo and are looking for something different, but I wouldn't stay here if you are new to the city or on business. I suspect as travel in Japan starts to open up, with more international travellers staying here, the service will likely evolve and adapt, so I suspect things will get better.

Footnote: I had a nice email after the stay to ask me for feedback, saying they would like a chance to respond to any problem. I shared some of my issues with them and all I got back is radio silence for close to a week. I think another indicator that their ability to respond to issues is weak.

Date of stay: June 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank T1ggerTraveller
Reviewed 19 June 2022

The service is perfect. From Reception to restaurant staffs, everyone is ready to welcome guests as friends. I have to say I prefer this style, not the Japanese way of emphasizing superiority of guests, but acknowledging you as a dear friend to provide the best accommodation. I find it very relaxing.

The room is small but equipped with everything I need. The bed is very comfortable and I could fall asleep as soon I crawled into bed after a long, stressful day.

The room service tasted OK, but the cafe downstairs has some really nice options and is ready to adjust to different allergy needs.
I am also surprised to learn that the hotel allows pets. I think the management was very well done that I do not find any discomfort from it.

I find the tablet system very convenient because as a millennial I really prefer pushing buttons instead of calling someone for my needs. However the tablet system can probably have more improvement such as allowing me to check what I have requested as well as specifying the delivery time.

The only downside about this hotel is probably traffic. It is unfortunately not very close to Shinjuku station, and they do not have taxi always available downstairs, so you need to wait for about 10mins for them to order the taxi (and yes, you have to pay for the order fee). Otherwise, if you plan to rent a car and drive around Tokyo, I am sure it will be a convenient hotel for you.

Date of stay: June 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2022

I stayed at the Kimpton in Shinjuku on ma last night in Japan, before relocating to Europe; I wanted to make my last day special, and was not disappointed. I mentioned I was leaving when asked about the purpose of my stay while checking in, and I guess they informed the entire staff, who in turn made sure my last hours in Tokyo were special: everyone was so thoughtful and kind, bidding me farewell. Breakfast was amazing, too :)

Date of stay: April 2022
Reviewed 19 April 2022 via mobile

A bit out of the city with a beautiful , modern design. The amazing staff, checking in was a pleasure with H. San who made it such a experience.
Love the fresh modern look, room spacious enough for one person. Comfortable bed, great amenities selection and a bathtub I fit in.
Service is fast and very polite, very easy as you got an tablet to select

Room tip: ~ 15 min. Shinjuku Station If you are sensitive to noise, it’s an animal friendly hotel. Try the breakfast smoothie ! Yummy 😊
Date of stay: April 2022