“Could be better! ”
Review of Kuriya

Kuriya
Ranked #1 of 436 Restaurants in Kabukicho
Neighbourhood: Shinjuku
Description: Dear customers I,m sorry when I express it first It costs the table charge of 300yen of one I,m sorry Non smoking seat There is no I,m sorry Please pay all together I,m sorry Lunch is not open I,m sorry. Please refrain from Visit us children. Because Non smoking seat There is no I,m sorry we don't take reservations.Our shop is refusing to visit customers who are not ordering alcohol for a Japanese pub. Sunday is off for the December period.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Good food and good portions but they brought us the bill really fast because they said that they were closing so they didn't give to us the possibility to order more food! Not so gentle!
Price it's OK!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Went here on strength of the TA reviews, and the place lived up to its high ranking. They were very busy, and only had a table if we agreed to be out in an hour to accommodate a reservation. Fair enough.
Tuna and avocado carpaccio was fantastic as previous reviewers have said. Skewers were great too, as was soft shell crab. We went kind of hard on the shochu (which was also high quality), so don’t remember what we had after that, but it was all good.
Close, cozy atmosphere was amazing.

The one small flaw? They charge a cover of 300 yen (3 bucks) per person....if you are not Japanese. My girlfriend is Japanese, so they only charged for me. She enquired (in Japanese) and the waiter told her that “foreigners sometimes cause a lot of trouble”. Pretty ironic when the waiter was not native Japanese. Normally I would have paid cash, but I used my credit card to purposely stick them for the MasterCard fee...which would have been about 3 bucks....

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The staff was very welcoming and friendly, and service was good and quick. The staff also spoke good English, which helped us foreigners. We took the 3 piece sashimi dish, which was great all around, best we had in Japan. Other dishes were good as well. Atmosphere and location are great!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Ate a two person good lunch, 2500 yen, with two different curses of good Japanese food. Speaks ferly good English. Crowed at lunch time.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 4 November 2018 via mobile

I was perhaps too keen to try this based on it being number 1 in shinjuku on TripAdvisor. From that point of view it disappoints. Very average and unexciting food and in a city like Tokyo it seems a shame to play it so safe. Having said that, the soft shell crab and the avocado tuna dishes were both very good. The yakitori and tempura were distinctly average. In general I would advise seeking out more authentic restaurants.