“Perfectly pleasant but overrated ”
Review of Kuriya

Kuriya
Ranked #1 of 436 Restaurants in Kabukicho
Neighbourhood: Shinjuku
Description: Dear customers I,m sorry when I express it first It costs the table charge of 300yen of one I,m sorry Non smoking seat There is no I,m sorry Please pay all together I,m sorry Lunch is not open I,m sorry. Please refrain from Visit us children. Because Non smoking seat There is no I,m sorry we don't take reservations.Our shop is refusing to visit customers who are not ordering alcohol for a Japanese pub. Sunday is off for the December period.
Reviewed 4 November 2018 via mobile

I was perhaps too keen to try this based on it being number 1 in shinjuku on TripAdvisor. From that point of view it disappoints. Very average and unexciting food and in a city like Tokyo it seems a shame to play it so safe. Having said that, the soft shell crab and the avocado tuna dishes were both very good. The yakitori and tempura were distinctly average. In general I would advise seeking out more authentic restaurants.

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 28 October 2018 via mobile

We really enjoyed the location, atmosphere, food and service!!! Would definitely recommend. We had the chicken skewers, Tuna and avocado tower, Japanese fried rice and the snapper.

Reviewed 26 October 2018

Small restaurant that cooked good home style Japanese cuisine.
Me and my friends had ordered almost 10 dishes, all of them were great.
Price was extremely resonable, i considered very much value to money.
Since the restaurant is very small, recommend to do the reservation before arrival.

2  Thank proadklao
Reviewed 26 October 2018 via mobile

My husband and I stumbled upon this hidden gem when we arrived in Shinjuku after travelling through Japan for 2 weeks through a simple google search of restaurants near our hotel.

Boy are we glad we did!

No word of a lie, we ate here for 6 nights in a row. Every dish we had was delicious, and contrary to a recent review, seemed to be enjoyed equally by tourists and locals alike. On our final night there was a table of 6 local businessmen who had obviously just finished work and they were having a great time!

The couple that run Kuriya are some of the nicest people we have met anywhere in the world. As we kept coming back they continually brought us off the menu dishes, just so we could try them, and even gave us a small gift to thank us for how often we had come - never have I had an experience like this from restaurant owners anywhere in the world!

If you find yourself in Kubikicho one evening, don’t hesitate! Head down the stairs for some drinks and delicious food!

1  Thank gwoww
Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

There tuna tartare was the best single Japanese appetizer I have ever had.

I can’t believe how inexpensive there entrees are. Their scallop and clam entree was delicious and only cost 735 yen (less than $7).