“Great basement eatery ”
Review of Kuriya

Kuriya
Ranked #1 of 429 Restaurants in Kabukicho
Neighbourhood: Shinjuku
Description: Dear customers I,m sorry when I express it first It costs the table charge of 300yen of one I,m sorry Non smoking seat There is no I,m sorry Please pay all together I,m sorry Lunch is not open I,m sorry. Please refrain from Visit us children. Because Non smoking seat There is no I,m sorry we don't take reservations.Our shop is refusing to visit customers who are not ordering alcohol for a Japanese pub.
Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

Dropped in mid week without a reservation. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Food is well priced and excellent quality.

Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

Where do I start..stumbled across this restaurant purely by (very lucky)accident ..nondescript frontage in tourist strip of Shinjuku ..down narrow staircase..to discover a wonderful old world space with very busy one waiter and the best Japanese food have had in tokyo for ridiculously cheap prices
Only discovered later it’s number one status on trip advisor as was last minute decision to stroll up tourist strip..
Every dish we ordered was wonderful
And strangely the desserts were all fabulous even though they were about 4 dllrs each
Whole bill including wine and multiple courses for four people (and greedy we were as couldn’t decide which dishes to order so went overboard) was 10,000 yen..120 aud
Will head back there tmrw!!

Reviewed 11 September 2018

This small restaurant is in the basement, but it produces fantastic food. The Sushi was to die for - truly amazing. The waiter was really helpful and suggested a number of dishes which we tried and all were good. You can't book, but if you go there you are likely to be given time when to return which we did. If you are in the area, try it, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

Small comfortable place with not many tables, fast service and delicious food!
English menu with many dish pics.
Don't miss the garlic pork skewer! Soooo good! So cheap..
About reservations.. you should reserve, but we were lucky as a couple just left when we arrived and could wait for few minutes before simply sitting. All people after us were told to reserve a sit - up front. I am not sure how to reserve.. maybe via the hotel before you are heading there.
We paid around 5200 ¥ for 2 including 2 rice (mixed and plain), Fatty pork dish, 2 pork garlic skewers (!!!), 2 sake, 1 grilled squid (!), Japanese pickles (You may pass this) , and desert Cheese cake (!)
Also included is 300¥ "table tax" and vat tax..
Such a good dinner with smiley service! Loved it!

Reviewed 4 September 2018

We had a great meal with the family at this restaurant in the heart of Shinjuku. The owners speak English and will take reservations over the phone.

1  Thank GeoffCB