All reviews single room boutique hotel free bottles of water bread buns smoke smell street noise small room dark wood bars and restaurants minute walk tokyo standards great bathroom central location spoke good english pleasant stay two nights corner room
Reviewed 9 April 2018

What can I say, I just like the place, the way the rooms are designed. It's not the usual form over function style of Japanese modernism. The rooms aren't any larger than the average business hotel, but it's clear a lot of thought went into how to use the limited space, and the result actually works. I've been staying here on and off for years, and though it's not all that new anymore and getting a bit scuffed, it's aging well, as much of the construction is glass and steel rather than the usual plastic. At first I was unimpressed by the graffiti design of the carpet, but I suppose the idea is to encourage you to think of the somewhat scuffed walls as art. Well, maybe.

My main reason to write this review is to comment on the coffee and breakfast, about which I read some critical comments in other reviews. Breakfast is basically breads, coffee, juice, and cereal. I read some reviews claiming it is instant coffee and undrinkable. This entirely wrong. There are three coffee machines in the lobby, and though they are pretty quick, you can see from the beans and hear from the grinding sound that this is freshly ground and brewed coffee, or else a really impressive simulation. The two machines featuring "specialty coffee" had beans from Brazil and Rwanda, respectively, and though I found the Brazil beans a bit unflavorful, I thought the Rwanda was pretty decent. If this is not fresh enough for you, the Mametora shop a few blocks down can brew you a cup from freshly roasted beans. As for the breads, there are generally about six types, including bagels and something resembling danish. There are cheese slices in the fridge and various toppings, also some cereals. All in all it's a fairly decent continental breakfast; you'll have to eat it in your room but that prevents crowds in the lobby.

I did have one issue when I requested a humidifier, which is one of the items on the list of items described as for "rental" (which are actually free of charge; Japanese doesn't distinguish between borrowing and renting). Anyway, the front desk guy said he would bring it to the room and came up ten or fifteen minutes later. I asked if it had water in it, and he said no, so I spent the next fifteen minutes trying to figure out how to take it apart to get the water in. Finally I looked the damn thing up on the internet and discovered it was actually an air filter. Air purifier is also on the list of items for rent. So I went down and explained. The clerk seemed a little mystified still. "Plasma cluster?" he inquired helpfully. No, I said, "mizu ga haitte iru!" (water inside!) He looked a bit doubtful but came up ten or fifteen minutes later with something that was indeed a humidifier. Next day I had to figure out how to add water to that one too. Problem: most hotels offering the loan of a complicated device will give the staff some training about them and have the staff make some effort at explanation. Even a manual in Japanese would have been better than nothing.

Other than that I didn't have many complaints. I had a non-smoking room on the 9th floor, and it was fairly quiet and relatively non-smoky, although some smoke smell did manage to creep in one morning. I'd be wary of the lower floors especially in the summer, as I recall having been bothered by street noise from the bar downstairs.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We stayed recently at this hotel. Was in a great spot near the subway, lots of eating places around also. The staff were very friendly and even though the rooms are tiny, they were clean and served our purpose. Breakfast is a little different as you have to get it on a tray in foyer and take it to your room to eat it. It’s just a continental breakfast but was sufficient for us. Bottled water supplied and coffee. The only downside would be that coming off a long flight it would have been nice to be able to check in earlier to have a shower to freshen up before heading out. But they have a rule of no check in before 2pm, even if the room is ready, which I find bizarre. But we managed ok and they let us leave our luggage there which they then put in our room on our return. We just went for a walk and had some lunch and then returned around check in time to have a shower and a rest. Overall I would recommend this hotel and we are actually returning for a night on our way back up and across to Nagano.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2018

This business hotel in the Akasaka district is conveniently located along a busy street of restaurants and shops just a couple of short blocks from the Akasaka Mitsuke subway station. It's about a 20 minute walk from the hotel to Roppongi. There is a Lawson and a Family Mart across the street, and a big Bic Camera at the station. Tons of restaurants on the street, including several steakhouses, Japanese restaurants, and Italian restaurants. Clearly an after-work salrary-man vibe on the street. There is an English Pub in right next door to the hotel. The hotel is simple and clean. The lobby is small and staff is polite and speak sufficient English to complete check in. A very limited continental breakfast is served in the lobby. Patrons are asked not to eat in the lobby and take their food to the room. The rooms are fairly spacious for Tokyo standards (we stayed in a King executive room), especially the bathroom, which had a separate toilet room, a walk in rain-shower and a deep soak tub, with ample vanity space around the sink. The rooms all seem to open onto an interior outdoor courtyard, so the hotel is quite cold. It was difficult to adjust the thermostat as it seems to have a mind of its own. The interior of the rooms are also done in dark wood, but seem a little dated and worn out around the edges. There is extremely limited storage space, but this is typical of Tokyo hotels. No smoke smell and the room was kept very clean. Housekeeping is done on an appointment basis and the check in staff will ask at what time you would like your room cleaned (which is a great idea!). The only unsettling thing about the hotel was that we didn't see even one other guest the entire three nights we stayed there, but based on the number of reviews, that may have just been a fluke :-) I paid a very reasonable price for this room and would stay in this hotel again for the right price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the street
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KilgoreTrout
Reviewed 11 January 2018

Conveniently located near 3 Tokyo Subway Lines, great neighborhood with lots of restaurants and shops.

Small Room (shower only) with no closet and no room for luggage. Kettle, small fridge in the room with free bottled water available in the lobby along with assortment of delicious tea.

Basic breakfast with bread, butter, cheese, assortment of jams and cereals.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 November 2017

Room was tiny.
Bathroom with shower only.
But location was excellent as it is only couple minutes away from Akasaka-mitsuke.
Provides simple breakfast which was enough for me.
They provide skin care goods for women which I liked.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business