All reviews shin yokohama same building bic camera business hotel train station haneda airport business trip great hotel convenient location hotel lobby blue line good size the check in desk highly recommend hotel english tv channels takes about minutes tokyo area
Reviewed 30 April 2015

I was in Yokohama for a couple of concerts at Yokohama Arena. So I wanted to stay someplace that was close to the arena. The Associa ended up being a good choice. It is something like 600m from the arena. And it is in the same building as the Shin-Yokohama train station which has links to the JR trains and the Shinkansen as well as direct access by elevator to the Shin-Yokohama metro station on the local Yokohama blue line.

The building also houses a shopping mall with a large Bic Camera outlet and some other stores. There are lots of places to eat in the vicinity.

The Haneda airport express bus stops right in front of the building. Only 840 yen ($7) each way. The bus takes about 40-45 minutes. The only stops are the three terminals at the airport, Shin-Yokohama station and the Prince Hotel.

I booked via Agoda and got what I considered to be a very good rate of $125/night. This was supposed to be a rate without breakfast, but when I checked in I was told that breakfast was included and I was given vouchers. Breakfast is OK. Same food every day including pastries, muffins, some hot food like scrambled eggs (that were not very appetizing), undercooked bacon, sausages, and some hot Japanese choices. There was an assortment of juices, cereals, yogurt, bread. It was certainly enough to fill me up, but no competition for the buffets I have had in Western chains in Asia.

My room was a "moderate" room which I believe is the lowest category. I had requested a high floor. The hotel occupies floors 10-19 of the building which are all of the upper floors. Rooms are arranged around a central atrium. My room was on the 19th floor with a view of downtown Yokohama in the distance. The room was compact but comfortable for some one traveling alone. The bed was very comfortable. The room included a Panasonic air purifier. Unfortunately I didn't notice the English language instructions for it until my last day. The room was generally clean except for the stained carpet. It looked like some one had spilled coffee.

There is a safe in a drawer but it is very small. My ultrabook laptop barely fit and not much else fit with it. There is a grounded outlet in the safe but it didn't seem to work when I tried to charge my laptop.

Only 2 flat prong electrical outlets in the room. Unfortunately the power cable for my HP laptop includes a ground pin so I needed a grounded outlet. I bought an adapter at Bic for a few dollars.

Wired internet worked very fast and was free. I also used the wifi for my phone and it also worked well.

The bathroom had everything I needed and was a decent size.

The staff were very helpful and nice. Everyone I encountered at the front desk spoke enough English. I arranged a late checkout for about US$50 for a 3PM check out. I had a concert ticket delivered to the hotel and it was waiting for me when I arrived.

I think the main drawback of the hotel is that you have to take 2 elevators any time you are going or coming. One to get from your room down to the 10th floor lobby and then another to get from there to ground level. The hotel's elevators were never very busy, but the ones in the public areas to get out of the building or up to 10 often required a bit of a wait.

The TV only gets two English channels, CNNi and BBC World. But I didn't spend too much time in the room anyway to watch TV.

All in all I was pleased with this hotel and would happily return.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank glennaa11
Reviewed 26 April 2015

I stayed at The Hotel Associa Shin-Yokohama for two nights at the beginning of April on a business trip. It is about 2 hours by express bus to the Tokyo Kansai airport (they sell tickets at the front desk.) The area around the hotel has all kinds of shopping and places to eat. Everything is within a 10 minute walk. The train station is right downstairs and that can get you anywhere. Note: April 2nd was the peak cherry blossom day in 2015 in this area.

Check in was quick and easy. They are set up to handle English speaking guests…meaning most of the employees speak at least some English, and a few are very fluent. Most everything in the rooms and dining room are labeled in English. This was my first trip to anywhere in Asia and I don’t know Japanese and had no problems. I was in a small room on an upper floor with good views both at night and during the day. Noise was never an issue from inside or out. Remember as in all of Asia, you need to put your room key in a slot by your door for the lights or AC to work.

My room was nice and showed little wear and everything worked. My Queen sized bed was not very comfortable and the pillows were too thick for me to sleep with…I used a folded bath towel. That, coupled with the fact that the thermostat only went down to 22C (72F), made it hard for me to sleep. There was a combination alarm clock and light controls remote on one of the end tables…pretty handy. There were enough outlets around to charge gadgets and even a couple of converters. There was a chair with reading lamp and end table by the window and the writing desk had good view too. The small flat screen TV had a few free stations, but none of them were in English. There was a card you could buy from a vending machine on each floor to get more stations, I did not do that.

There was a closets and some drawers for clothes and a cool spot to put your suitcase and still get to it. My room did not have a mini bar, but did have a small refrigerator with two bottles of water and a coffee/tea set up, all free. Tap water is ok to drink and there we glasses and cups provided. There is both wired internet access and Wi-Fi, both worked fine.

The bathroom was on the small side and the counter did not have much room, but there was a no-fog spot on the mirror. The shower was in the tub with a hand-held shower head that can also be affixed to the wall. A couple odd quirks: The shower controls are not intuitive, one side control temp and the other side controls whether the water comes out the spout or the showerhead. Try it the night before so you are not trying to figure it out while you are half awake. The other is the tub is designed to have shower water spill over the edge to a gutter on the floor that goes to a drain. I did not see the gutter and accidentally put the bath mat in the gutter. Needed all the towels and washcloths plus the two provided kimonos to clean up all the water in the bathroom. I could see that I was not the first person to do this. There was a bidet style toilet with a heated seat.

Other provided niceties include: Pants press, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, comb, hair band, shower cap, shower balls, toothpaste, tooth brush, mouthwash, Q-tips, shaver, hair dryer, slippers, safe (too small to fit a laptop…bummer), shoe cleaning equipment, and Humidifier/air cleaner.

I ate two breakfasts in the buffet restaurant of the lobby floor (the hotel starts on the 10th floor) and they were included in my room price. It was a tight layout with some bottlenecks so it was a little difficult to maneuver around the food. There was a decent selection with a few American style dishes, an Egg/omelet station, fruit, breads, some fish, and lots of different Japanese dishes that looked more like a lunch. They had decent coffee, but the buttons are not in English…was not sure what I was going to get, and a bunch of different juices. Good for a free breakfast, but not one of the better ones I’ve had. Checkout went fine.

Overall a good business hotel but I would likely try another if I was back in the area.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled on business
4  Thank Bobo185
Reviewed 23 April 2015

Only stayed in this hotel for a few days on business, but it was wonderfully quiet! It is above the train station, so very convenient and many restaurants & shopping around for all tastes. Staff very accommodating and spoke very good English. The breakfast buffet was typical, but good with fresh made omelets or eggs made to order.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 April 2015

Stayed here for 4 nights as a base to explore Mt Fuji, Kamakura/Enoshima, and Tokyo. Hotel is in the JR station - you step off the train on level 2 and go to the hotel lobby on level 10, life can't get any easier truly. Based on the tips of another tripadvisor contributor, I asked for a quiet room and was allocated one facing the various parks - certainly it was quiet without any hint of construction noise which plagued a recent traveller. The breakfast was delicious and variety good - both Japanese and western breakfast items was abundant and of good quality. The staff was helpful and the room spacious and well designed - the 22 square metre room was very comfortable indeed. I will not hesitate to stay here for my next visit to Tokyo. It takes only 10 minutes to reach Shinagawa and 20 minutes to reach Tokyo stations on the shinkansen.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2015

This hotel is housed in the tower building that houses the Yokohama Shinkansen station. Jump of the train, take some escalators up, and you find yourself in the lobby.
The hotel is nice and modern, though the rooms are rather small (typical for Japan).
Shin-Yokohama is a couple of metro stops away from the real Yokohama, which is a harbor-city worth visiting.
If you go down to the metro just underneath the hotel, you can buy a one-day metro & bus card for approximately 900JPY, a worthwhile investment, all the more because Shin-Yokohama doesn't have all that much to offer.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled on business