“great weekend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Abbeyleix
bundoran
“great weekend”
Reviewed 28 August 2010

Got married in the manor sept 2008,120 guests with about half of them staying in hotel down from donegal ,great venue,good rates for bedrooms,staff very friendly,alot of the wedding guests stayed on for a 2nd and 3rd night....that was my second stay, and will be back very soon.....

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul72_78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Dublin
Reviewed 22 January 2010

First, I want to be honest, I am actually from Abbeyleix but left there 30 yrs ago so this review is written from an impartial standpoint and no favors asked, none given. I stayed here last October and when I went to check in yesterday the cheerful girl on reception had all my details from my last stay and welcomed me by my first name. My first target was dinner and what better than traditional bacon and cabbage except that it came with a decent serving of cauliflower and generous amount of everything, none more so than the delicious bacon. One of the things I noticed here was a lady with a carry-cot and baby who got up to leave after her dinner and before she had reached her first obstruction of tables a barman came out and took over proceedings accompanying her all the way out to her car.

My room, bath and shower are spotless and there is a computer desk and free broadband which is a must for me but more often than not you have to go through several loops in other hotels obtaining cards and such, here it is completely free, you sit at your desk, turn on your computer and do your business, as you can do in reception or any part of the hotel if you are a guest. Ok, so the bath curtain is not gold plated but I am in Abbeyleix, not Dubai and my room cost €60 and not two or three hundred euro and since this hotel has undergone complete renovation it does not compare with earlier reviews of complaint about cleanliness, I have found everywhere to be spotless and first class. The only complaint I would have is the smoking area but perhaps there is an alternative one to the one I used as I was too tired to walk around!

As one who uses hotels about once every two weeks I have found that, because we are not just in a recession, but at the height of one, that some hotels are under such pressure there is an air of defeat to be found in some, with justification because staff, rates and overheads have still to be paid. The Abbeyleix Manor is different in that every one of the staff are in a great mood and this rubs off on other staff and customers alike. Inside the door there is a life size cardboard cut out of one of Irelands best entertainers, Brendan Grace and while most pubs and hotels are cutting back the Manor seems to be pushing the boat out that little bit further to add even more fun to the place.

I did not have breakfast because of breakfast appointment in nearby Durrow but when I sat down for a cup of coffee a lady arrived with a choice of papers to have a read before I left. There are a lot of other little personal touches as well and it is nice to see the actual owners mingling with the guests and having a chat. I will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank Fennetec
Kinsale, Ireland
Reviewed 30 October 2009

We went to a wedding here recently and overall I was pleased with our stay.
Staff were all extremely helpful and friendly. Rooms were clean and ok size for a 3 star. I asked for extra towels and a nice lady was up with LOADS! within minutes. Some nice touches – free wireless internet access in the rooms, proper iron and ironing board in the room. One thing to watch is the dormer style windows, find for short little me, but gave my 6’ 3” husband a nasty bang on the head.
Breakfast was fine the first day, we were early and got it served hot from the kitchen, second morning was usual buffet – not great. Wedding food was dreadful, bad quality, cold and overcooked - lots of full plates going back to the kitchen.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 29sunflowers
Ireland
Reviewed 13 June 2009

I cannot for the life of me understand where some of the above were staying but it wasn't the hotel I stayed in !!

Staff were very helpful and friendly, rooms were very well turned out and all en-suite. I saw one of the 2 bridal suites and it has a Jacuzzi style bath in the en-suite and very nicely decorated throughout. Rooms are a decent size and no issue with cleanliness. No it's not 5 Star but it is a decent hotel for a decent price with really nice and helpful staff. The atmosphere is not snobby or stiff. You can be yourself with no one looking down their nose at you because the baby farted or you didn't pronounce the food on the menu right!

It is perfectly located between Dublin and Cork and it is not in Durrow like it says at the top, it's the very last property on your left as you leave Abbeyleix town heading for Cork, and the very first on your right as you enter Abbeyleix heading for Dublin.

You can easily walk to the world famous Morrissey's pub in the Main Street and it is a Heritage Town. The restaurant serves really good portions of good food. (The carvery lunch area is not the restaurant part I'm talking of, they are totally separate areas).

It is the only hotel in that area, has a good reputation for food and friendly staff and it is not the run down, needing repair place that people here have said, they must have been further down the road in another town or something!

Visit their website and see for yourselves! AbbeyleixManorHotel.com

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank CarolineDIreland
Minnesota
Reviewed 8 November 2008

We were here doing genealogy research, but as this is not a real tourist area, there are not a lot of options in Abbeyleix. The desk clerk was flummoxed by any question, so checking in was a bit trying. One of our rooms was newly done over, the other in real need of repair. There were 1" cracks in the plaster and the drapes were falling down. The public spaces were large and nicely decorated. The restaurant was adequate, but nothing very special about it. There's plenty of free parking and free internet if you have your own laptop. (The one in the lobby was broken). If I had to return, I'd look somewhere else first, but could stay here again if need be.

• Liked — convenient location
  • Disliked — condition of room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abbeyleix
14.7 km away
27.8 km away
Newpark Hotel
Newpark Hotel
#3 of 19 in Kilkenny

Been to Abbeyleix Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!