“Mothers day lunch”

The Strath Tavern
Price range: US$7 - US$18
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Scottish, Pub
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine
Description: An 18th century coaching inn serving good quality home cooked meals and chargrilled steaks in a traditional beamed ceiling bar or a quieter, family friendly dining room.
Reviewed 12 March 2018

We had mothers day lunch at the Strath Tavern on Sunday,I had the fish which i have had many times and this was up to the usual excellent standard. ,My wife and daughter had one of the specials on offer (roast beef and Yorkshires) also excellent.
We have eaten here on numerous visits and have never been disappointed with either the quality and variety on offer

Heather M, Owner at The Strath Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

Thank you very much for your comments. We very much value all of our all of our customers and appreciate the continued support we receive from both regular local residents and visitors alike. I look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

Having eaten here quite a few times we decided to visit again today. After ordering drinks we surveyed the menu to find the only meat on offer was in the salads. Other menu dishes included, chicken curry, battered haddock, haddock morney, mac n cheese, scampi, but no meat ie steak pie or sausage and mash.
Ordered starters of ham and lentil soup and mozzarella sticks with salad.
The soup which is normally very good and partially chunky was actually bland and looked as if it had been liquidised. The mozzarella sticks were served with the smallest salad I have ever seen and were also pretty bland.
Mains were haddock chips and peas and the mac n cheese. The chips were undercooked for my liking and the peas were cold the fish was nice but tasted more of batter than the fish. The mac n cheese was extremely thick/ stodgy and rather unpleasant and therefore went mostly uneaten.
Having the proprietor sit opposite us whilst eating doing her stock ordering was off putting at least.
I realise the spell of bad weather recently will have an effect on stock and meals on offer but the limited offerings was poor

Heather M, Owner at The Strath Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2018

Firstly I cannot understand your comment about no meat being on offer. Steak pie is one of our biggest sellers and is on the lunch menu that you were given. We very rarely run out of steak pie because it is such a big seller and we certainly have not been low on stock of it this week. Similarly haddock and macaroni are in the top 5 biggest sellers and we have received previous reviews regarding how lovely they are. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your lunch but I can assure you that the food on offer this week was no different to the food that we frequently receive good reviews for. I can only assume therefore that it was just not to your taste and even with the best of establishments it is unreasonable to assume that this will not happen sometime.

Reviewed 25 February 2018 via mobile

We visited the Tavern on Sunday superb food, presentation and quantity, would not hesitate to recommend and will definitely visit again

Reviewed 14 January 2018

Visited Strathmiglo Tavern last night again with friends. The four of us have gone regularly for years and never disappointed. Always our first choice locally. Last night the food and service was outstanding as ever. Unfortunately by the time we were finishing our meal the noise level meant we had to shout to hear ourselves speak. And this wasn't because the bar was packed and buzzing but simply because the music was turned up so loud so some of the drinkers at the bar could have a hooley. So much for a quiet country pub! I'm all for people enjoying themselves but if you want to dance to very loud music go to a night club. When asked, the music was turned down a very little. We finished our drinks quickly and left to cheers from the drinkers and requests to the grinning barman to turn the music up again. Disappointing as barman knows us and knows we are regular customers.

Heather M, Owner at The Strath Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2018

Very disappointing and unusual to get a review where the ambience in the bar generates a negative comment but I thank you for the continued positive feedback on the quality of our food and our service. The bar area is very popular with dining customers, and tables fill up there very quickly. I understand that you specifically asked for the table you were seated at and another customer that evening had also wanted that table. There is a dining room through the back where many people chose to sit if they are looking for a quiet evening, chatting with friends. The juke box speakers do not extend to the dining room but we will also make sure that all staff are aware that the level of the jukebox must be strictly controlled in the bar during food service times. Being a popular, small village pub means that we have the support of our locals who do like to have a bit of fun at the bar but never, to my knowledge, at the expense of other customers. This is something that we would not tolerate and will keep a keen eye on in future. All of our bar staff (including the gentleman you mention in your review) are very attentive to all of our customers and we feel very lucky to have them especially because of the number of positive comments we get about the level of service. I hope that this does not deter you from visiting again and please do let me know directly if you have any cause for disappointment in future as we would rather put it right at the time. As you know from previous reviews you have posted, I am always through in the bar when food finishes to chat to customers on my way out to take Hamish and Madadh for a walk.

Reviewed 7 January 2018

Came here for lunch. Warm and friendly welcome. Macaroni was amazing. My husband had the fish and chips. He said the fish was the best he had tasted in a long time. It is also dog friendly. We will definitely be returning

Heather M, Owner at The Strath Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. It is so good to get positive feedback. I will pass on your lovely comments to our front of house staff.